Welcome to Gaia! ::

Polls encourage you to enter a thread

yes 0.66666666666667 66.7% [ 24 ]
no 0.33333333333333 33.3% [ 12 ]
Total Votes:[ 36 ]

I'm looking for a decent hand held or light weight sewing machine. I'm disabled and have to do my crafts from bed/ ina reclining position, so it has to be light enough to be balanced on a tray on my lap.

The only hand held machines I've found look really junky and have really bad reviews. I don't have much money but I can always search for recommendations second hand.

ANy help is appreciated.
I got one for Christmas and it busted, and when I got a replacement, it busted too!
It worked well until then, but didn't last long.
My suggestion, spend as much as you can and get a higher quality one. I don't have any specific machine reccomendations, though.
You may just have to dig around online for a while. I know viking has light weight machines but you have to use the foot control so i don't know if that can be modified or not. Sorry, can't think of anything else.
The only smaller machines I've seen have all been of dubious quality. I used to work at a JoAnn Fabrics and every customer I spoke with who had a small machine was not pleased with it. I would second the digging around online motion. I wouldn't trust anything that's marketed for portabilty or for new sewers, just because I think that might be advertiser code for "crappy."

Moonlight Warrior

It seems the Kenmore Mini Ultra has some decent reviews. My suggestion is to buy one through eBay as it's $66 at Sears. sad
Peppermint Elf
It seems the Kenmore Mini Ultra has some decent reviews. My suggestion is to buy one through eBay as it's $66 at Sears. sad

Thanks smile

I think for the time being I might just rely on my old friend, backstitching and wait until I'm well enough to sit at a table to use a machine confused
I bought one at Linen's N Things (online) for $25. It's held up VERY well. I've reupholsterred a couch with it, made about 5 pillows, and a quilt so far, and it works great. I'm not sure what the brand is, but I got it at LNT.
http://www.lnt.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1997177&cp=1331608.2001561&parentPage=family

is that the one you got? i'd be interested in a high quality small machine, especially at that price..

Prophet

Pudding is also interesten in finding a good small sewing machine because Pudding will be living in an appartmen next year!
i talked to the person who posted the linens and things one and the one i posted above is indeed that machine she got ^o^

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff