Welcome to Gaia! ::

i'm making this for my boyfriend, and i've had a lot of people tell me that i should sell them on etsy, but i don't want to put them up for sale or commit to making more without knowing that they at least have a shot at selling. this is unfinished, but it's charmeleon. i plan on making a bunch more similar ones.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
Wow! Did you crochet it? My brother did something similar for his girlfriend, but as a quilt. You might, but ...how long does it take? How much would you try to sell it for? It looks super time intensive!
Could you sell it? Yes. Could you make a living selling it? See Nodalec's post ^.

If this is just a hobby you would like to make a few bucks on here and there, I would say you got it.
You definitely could sell it. I'd buy one in a heartbeat if I had the money.
Don't sell yourself short though, make sure you price it high enough to make it worth it for you. (:

My mom sell crocheted afghans every once in awhile for about $400 each. But she never makes them to sell. She makes what she wants to make and if she decides she doesn't want to keep it or give it away, she sells it. She also never takes orders because she doesn't like being told what to make.

11,850 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
I say sell it.
Nodalec
Wow! Did you crochet it? My brother did something similar for his girlfriend, but as a quilt. You might, but ...how long does it take? How much would you try to sell it for? It looks super time intensive!

yep! this is crochet! i'm doing it in granny squares. i started in february since this is a valentine's day gift but then i kinda got a bit lazy with it >>;

@thalianost: yeah i have no intention of making a living off of these lmao. that would just be ridiculous.

@cynical sexy bear: holy s**t where did she sell them?? did people actually pay that much for them?? oh sweet jesus that would be amazing.

Bashful Dabbler

8,250 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Married 100
i think you could totally sell it! i know i would buy one! biggrin
-Cynical Sexy Bear-
Don't sell yourself short though, make sure you price it high enough to make it worth it for you. (:

My mom sell crocheted afghans every once in awhile for about $400 each. But she never makes them to sell. She makes what she wants to make and if she decides she doesn't want to keep it or give it away, she sells it. She also never takes orders because she doesn't like being told what to make.

please tell me where she was able to get $400 a pop for them

@tamakis girl: awesome~! thanks!

updated picture
passy indoors
-Cynical Sexy Bear-

She mostly sold them to coworkers, but sold a couple on etsy.

They were huuuge and made with super high quality yarn though. I have one and I actually can't sleep without it now.

This is one that she sold for like $300, I think? It was queen-sized.

-Cynical Sexy Bear-
passy indoors
-Cynical Sexy Bear-

She mostly sold them to coworkers, but sold a couple on etsy.

They were huuuge and made with super high quality yarn though. I have one and I actually can't sleep without it now.

This is one that she sold for like $300, I think? It was queen-sized.

omg kitties

Kawaii Shapeshifter

10,925 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Hero 100
holy moly, sell it! its something unique!
this particular one is for my boyfriend so not selling this one in particular, but i plan on making more to sell. here's the (basically finished) project

Hilarious Genius

14,900 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Alchemy Level 2 100
  • Timid 100
i think you could sell it! a lot of people are fans of the show. just make sure it has a reasonable price and you should be able to sell a bunch!

Lady Kin

This is really very cute and I absolutely think people would pay for something like this!

I will say however, to be very careful about making Pokemon blankets. Pokemon are copyright characters and legally, you are not allowed to sell items using these character images. Everyone here knows that plenty of people sell fanart items on etsy, so it's not impossible to do, and many people can get away with it without a problem. However, I will say that even if you think it's rare, people do get caught and have to take down their items, pay damages, or sometimes even get banned from etsy. It depends on the company. Pandora for example attacked etsy makers for simply labelling their beads as "Pandora-like" but on the other hand you have companies that like fanart and see it as good exposure and advertising. If you are only selling a few items once in awhile, it probably won't be an issue. However, I would still recommend sending the licensing branch of The Pokemon Company an e-mail requesting permission to use the characters and it would likely take them a month to three months to respond.

I don't want to be a killjoy, because it's a cute blanket, I only want to warn you!

Good luck!

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces