Welcome to Gaia! ::

Okay, so I've never blocked my crochet pieces before, simply because I've never needed to. But my current project definitely requires it. It's a large quilt made of 6.5inch x 6.5inch squares. The squares are crocheted in the round versus back-and-forth rows. Not sure if that makes a difference. I'm spray blocking them as I finish each one. Some are close to square without the blocking, others really need the help. I'm just wondering: After the blanket is washed, will the squares revert back to being misshapen and need to be blocked again? This is a Christmas gift for my mom and I don't want it to be a problem every time she washes it. Will it be okay as long as she dries it flat? Will it require an annoying amount of stretching after each wash? Since the squares were blocked individually before they were joined, is there a method of joining them that will help force them to stay in shape? Please share your experiences and advice. Christmas is only two weeks away and I really want this to come out perfect.

O.G. Gaian

Well, they'll be sewn together; you won't be able to block them again.

Anyway, don't go throwing it into the laundry like any old blanket; put it in a large sweater bag, if you can, in the gentle cycle. No, let me back up. What are you using? If it's wool, take it to the drycleaner's. If it's acrylic, proceed with the gentle wash. To dry it, you'll want to lay it flat (like with a sweater). Shape it, if you need to , but don't stretch it too much, or it might start to look warped. Yeah, it's a rather big project, to wash and dry it properly -- which is why afghans are generally "special" blankets, not the plain "everyday" fleece or quilted ones. wink Also, don't underestimate Febreeze. Srsly.

It's cotton yarn. Thanks for the help. I'm thinking maybe I'll just get her one of those hand steamers for laundry. Lol.

O.G. Gaian

Imari Rose
It's cotton yarn. Thanks for the help. I'm thinking maybe I'll just get her one of those hand steamers for laundry. Lol.

Ah! Well, then... whatever you do, DON'T DRY IT ON THE HOT SETTING! It's amazing, how small something can get then... sweatdrop The best thing would probably be to dry it on low for about half an hour, then hang it on a clothesline or something -- it'll still try to contract a little, but if it's hanging, then gravity is going to be able to lend a hand.

Dapper Fatcat

7,050 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Invisibility 100
Personally, I would crochet each square together, not sew. It will help reduce the "seam" feeling. I usually just do a slip stitch along two squares and it will join together pretty easily and quickly.

As for the blocking part, it shouldn't "revert" back to how it was, but with cotton follow everything faolan said! Cotton is a tricky beast sweatdrop

O.G. Gaian

miss kristina rose
Personally, I would crochet each square together, not sew. It will help reduce the "seam" feeling. I usually just do a slip stitch along two squares and it will join together pretty easily and quickly.

I usually like to use "join-as-you-go" types of patterns, but I've noticed that a lot of crocheters who make the afghans out of various different squares usually seem to join them by sewing -- though I assume they're using a tapestry needle with yarn instead of a sharp with thread. I had an old afghan my great-grandma made for my dad when he was a kid; the squares were whip-stitched to join them.

Which reminds me that there's a note of caution to include on that point, though -- the afghan did eventually fall apart, and it was along the seams that it first started. Once that piece of yarn had worn so thin it snapped, the whole thing just let go, so that's something to probably be aware of. Of course, it did last a good forty or fifty years, so there you have it.

Friendly Fatcat

8,850 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Team Edward 100
I honestly have never blocked yet when it comes to crochet.
I did just ask a lady I follow on Youtube and Instagram about it though,
because I have never needed to use it, yet,
but I am sure one day I might.
Her Youtube is BHooked Crochet,
she is great!

By the way,
I just started a crochet thread.
Like legit, posted it like a few minutes ago.
It would be great to see you there!
I.Hook: A Crochet Thread

Shy Hunter

Eben noch lachst du mich an
Strahlst noch wie das hellste Licht
Plötzlich Dunkelheit und Kälte
Der Schmerz zerfrisst mich innerlich...

The patches I joined into a blanket were with a lot of different sizes and yearn... I'd just crchetthem togetehr and now it's all olay. If you want to get them evenly, let it soak and hang over such a dryer. Or hang it on a line.

In der kalten Asche suche ich nach Deinen Spuren
Habe Dich verloren!

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas