Welcome to Gaia! ::

Hello! I'm kinda new to the whole doll thing, right now I'm still experimenting with modeling clay before I move to something like resin casting or super sculpey to make my BJD. I'm just wondering what kind of tools other people use to create dolls heart
sweatdrop I had been making one in sculpey, but I havent done any hting to it in a long time. I even took a mold making and casting class so i could turn it into resin later ^__^ I think Iam starting over again when I begin working on it again ^_^"""

User Image
User Image
PookieNoodle
sweatdrop I had been making one in sculpey, but I havent done any hting to it in a long time. I even took a mold making and casting class so i could turn it into resin later ^__^ I think Iam starting over again when I begin working on it again ^_^"""

User Image
User Image

Awww! The pic is a little small but it looks CUTE!!! heart

I've been sitting with this modeling clay all day and playing with facial features! I've been using the ends of pens and a butterknife to shape it! XD heart
Oh! If you click the picture, it will get bigger.

Theres also a ball jointed dolls guild on here ^__^
I've been working on a series of voodoo dolls that I molded in a closed cell polyurithan foam, which is similar to what nerf balls are made of. They had a similar proportion to plushies though they don;t rlaly look similar. I'll get some photos. My most recent step in the process is I've designed noose earrings and smaller, copies of the dolls so that you can hang them from your ears. hahaha! Opinions? wouls anyone buy them?
JoshuarGoWooosh
My most recent step in the process is I've designed noose earrings and smaller, copies of the dolls so that you can hang them from your ears. hahaha! Opinions? wouls anyone buy them?

The small dolls on noose earrings sound absolutely adorable. Please do try and get some photos!

As far as BJD-making goes, though... how does Scupley hold up in the long run, if, say, you didn't want to go on and cast it in resin later?
I know people have made dolls from sculpey, but if its not baked enough, it can flow slightly over time (gravity will pull it) and if it is a bit over baked, it will be brittle. So theres kind of a fine line of properly baked for strength.

I bought some two part epoxy putty off e-bay that Iam going to try next, they sugest it for doll repair, taxidermy, plumbing, eta. so I would think it would be strong, plus you can mix paint into it to get a color.

Dangerous Stalker

15,900 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
You might also experiment with things like paperclay or even papier mache while getting a feel for the parts of dolls and how they interact with each other. I think resin is pricey to work with (more than crumpled newspaper, at least) so it's probably a good idea to go through several beta dolls before commiting to The One that you'll cast.
What is it you'll use the doll for? If it's for something you need maximum maneuverability, such as stop motion animation you might want to try out armorverse. They have ball and socket bases. Really pricey though. Not really sure about regular dolls though, sorry. sweatdrop

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff