Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gracious Prophet

5,500 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Hey, been playing a campaign for the last couple years with a good group weekly basis.
I know it's been out a long time but how did you all feel about the transition Sr4-5?

Learned Seeker

10,100 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
Haven't had a chance to play 5th ed yet, but I've heard good things. Personally, I like that they've gone back to the priority system for character gen. I also like the limit system. I think that will really help smooth out play over the long term.

The combat system that gives more options to the gun slinging and other fighty characters is super nice. I'm looking forward to the expanded character and magic options.

While I appreciate the changes to the hacking system to put your hacker on-site, I think it seems a little forced.

Eloquent Streaker

I enjoy Shadowrun 5........when it's not being the most unnecessarily complicated game I've ever played (it took ten minutes for me to get through one round of combat when all my Street Samurai did was fire a six-round burst at a troll with his assault rifle; that's how long it took us to figure out the various rules one has to keep track of for combat. By contrast, in the other tabletop I play, Pathfinder, it rarely takes more than a minute for me to conclude my turn even if I'm doing several things that turn.). When I can figure out all the s**t I need to know, though, it's a genuinely fun experience, and having a GM who not only writes her own runs, but does a damn good job of it, definitely helps.

Though I wish our Decker (who is a veteran Shadowrunner) would stop acting like his hacking skills are good enough to do anything, or that he's a deus ex machina to solve any problems we have on a run (I've actually taken to calling his character Douche Ex Machina).

Gracious Prophet

5,500 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Requiem ex Inferni
I enjoy Shadowrun 5........when it's not being the most unnecessarily complicated game I've ever played (it took ten minutes for me to get through one round of combat when all my Street Samurai did was fire a six-round burst at a troll with his assault rifle; that's how long it took us to figure out the various rules one has to keep track of for combat. By contrast, in the other tabletop I play, Pathfinder, it rarely takes more than a minute for me to conclude my turn even if I'm doing several things that turn.). When I can figure out all the s**t I need to know, though, it's a genuinely fun experience, and having a GM who not only writes her own runs, but does a damn good job of it, definitely helps.

Though I wish our Decker (who is a veteran Shadowrunner) would stop acting like his hacking skills are good enough to do anything, or that he's a deus ex machina to solve any problems we have on a run (I've actually taken to calling his character Douche Ex Machina).

That's hilarious, and
I can totally relate to that frustration. We've had a couple issues with our sniper with that- But the rest of the team has given him a really hard time about his godmodding characters and he's got better (tolerable) with time.

Yeah learning the mechanics to get a precise dice pool can be exhaustive, but worth it. Especially when your DM creates a very tailor made response to what you've done.

Gracious Prophet

5,500 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Sprainogre
Haven't had a chance to play 5th ed yet, but I've heard good things. Personally, I like that they've gone back to the priority system for character gen. I also like the limit system. I think that will really help smooth out play over the long term.

The combat system that gives more options to the gun slinging and other fighty characters is super nice. I'm looking forward to the expanded character and magic options.

While I appreciate the changes to the hacking system to put your hacker on-site, I think it seems a little forced.

There's so much controversy and mixed reviews of the priority system, I personally love it and think it's the quickest way to create your character within believable perimeters.

and I agree about the hacking. I'm not really fond of having my character with body 1 strength 1 anywhere near a battle ground.

Learned Seeker

10,100 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
Meh, if you want really complicated, try Anima or Role Master/Space Master. While SR is certainly more complicated than Pathfinder, and that's something I like about it personally, it's far from the most complex game out there. Give it a few runs to get the rules down. Make notes on what combat maneuvers you're going to be doing most. Master a whole new system!

I think the priority system helps to make a more balanced character, but realistic? That's a dangerous path of thinking to walk down with any game. I'll go for fun and interesting over realistic any day.

Tipsy Sex Symbol

I actually started with SR5, I took a look at the BP system for SR4 and decided against trying to figure that mess out.

But the six-round burst example is not that hard once you understand the system. Subtract six from your own recoil comp and five from the target's defense pool, if you get more hits they gotta try to soak.

Also, Hero Lab is hugely helpful for tracking dice pools and such.

Statixcharged
I'm not really fond of having my character with body 1 strength 1 anywhere near a battle ground.
Who says your hacker needs to be BOD 1 STR 1?

EDIT: Or that your spellcaster needs to be dainty?

Learned Seeker

10,100 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
Well, you don't have to, but you certainly can tank those stats. In fact, that reflects a life style option for hackers/technomancers from 4th ed, where you basically lived in a life support pod...

Interesting Vampire

8,775 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Sprainogre
Well, you don't have to, but you certainly can tank those stats. In fact, that reflects a life style option for hackers/technomancers from 4th ed, where you basically lived in a life support pod...

I heard they tried to limit mages from overcasting and to "balance" the balance they gave mages a crapton of new options making them once again without equal.

I was also told that with changes to WiFi hackers can now utterly destroy cyberspace without other mundane having a chance.

Long story short, I heard either be a mage or a hacker, or don't play.

I'm pretty happy with 3e and 4e so I'm not sure why I should bother with 5e if that's even remotely true. :/

Learned Seeker

10,100 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
Well, I guess if your whole goal is to break the game, you can certainly do so. Those ways are almost always a good options.

And specialized characters SHOULD be good at their jobs. It's up to the GM to make sure there is still a challenge, and that the "destroy everything myself" option doesn't result in a payday...

Mewling Genius

5,550 Points
  • Trader 100
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Tycoon 200
Sprainogre
Well, I guess if your whole goal is to break the game, you can certainly do so. Those ways are almost always a good options.

And specialized characters SHOULD be good at their jobs. It's up to the GM to make sure there is still a challenge, and that the "destroy everything myself" option doesn't result in a payday...

Best to tailor your runs to your players strengths and weaknesses. It'll require your players to adapt to make sure they cover as many bases as they can, and allows the flexibility to make challenges for individuals not necessarily stall the whole run.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff