Welcome to Gaia! ::

Invisible Phantom

4,550 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Invisibility 100
First off, I had no clue about some of this stuff until recently because of another thread I made where helpful gaians like you (reader) pointed me in the right direction!
(theres a short list so skip ahead if you don't feel like reading)
thanks to theese helpful gaians for helping me in my other thread
(which can be found here http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/table-top-gaming/cheaper-place-to-buy-table-top-gaming-stuff/t.79500517/ )

Liquidor
Dark Hunter Akala
Requiem in Mortis
Laertes Ursus
cheese_slave database
Asmusei

I'm trying say thanks and help others at the same time (even though this will probably end up in the trash topics Anyway)

To begin there are a few different extras. It depends on your preferences and available materials.

Method one
You`re going to need to BUY the d20 d10 d4 d6 d8 and d12 if you use this method (remember i said cheap not free)

Other then that fact you need
-a (preferably portable) computer or tablet of some sort
-the board or map for the game (or if you want to be, as said above, cheap use graph paper)
-tokens or miniatures for players and NPC`s (or again, as said above, use paper)
-pencils or pens
-resources (different depending on game. I`m usind D&D 4th edition as an example)
-printer (optional)
-Ipod touch,Ipad or e-reader (optional)
-dropbox app for Ipod touch or Ipad and PC (optional)

you need to use your computer (or tablet) to download the resources (I`m using D&D 4TH E for an example) Said resources consist of things like the core rulebook, the monster manual the player book, the DM book, character sheets and optionally adventure books or supplements
to find theese downloads go to google and type them in one by one.
like this http://lmgtfy.com/?q=D%26D+4th+edition+core+rule+book

once you have found the PDF`s and character sheets buy the dice (if you do not already have them) and the map or board for your game (or use graph paper) as well as the miniatures and tokens (or use paper) once you decide to play bring your computer (this is why i reccomended portable) or tablet and then you have the books if need be

another option is to print them out. this is not as cheap as the other options though because printer ink costs an arm and a leg and runs out faster then you can say D&D is badass (mainly because you cant say this in the first place without people disagreeing)

if you have an E-reader most of them can read PDF`s and then that makes things even easier

an Ipod touch Iphone or Ipad is another useful option because if you use the dropbox app you can read PDF`s on them too.

you can get the dropbox PC app here www.dropbox.com/

thanks for reading everyone have a good game!

Vicious Knight

13,050 Points
  • Battle: Knight 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Unleash the Beast 100
The board can be replaced with a spreadsheet program(I like google documents because it can be shared over multiple computers and updated in real time), where you use ASCII symbols to indicate various things. A good example is as follows:

Our adventuring party of four(We'll name then Adam, Benny, Clyde, and Dana) are facing off against a marauding group of kobolds who've boxed them in by collapsing the pass ahead of them. The adventurers can be indicated with capital letters, coloured for extra customization, so A, B, C, and D. Enemies can be lower-case letters with a number in case of bands, so k1, k2, k3, and so on. Rough terrain would be asterisks (*), representing the loose stones scattered about, and impassable terrain could be marked with a hash(#), representing the larger boulders in the way.

Invisible Phantom

4,550 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Invisibility 100
Laertes Ursus
The board can be replaced with a spreadsheet program(I like google documents because it can be shared over multiple computers and updated in real time), where you use ASCII symbols to indicate various things. A good example is as follows:

Our adventuring party of four(We'll name then Adam, Benny, Clyde, and Dana) are facing off against a marauding group of kobolds who've boxed them in by collapsing the pass ahead of them. The adventurers can be indicated with capital letters, coloured for extra customization, so A, B, C, and D. Enemies can be lower-case letters with a number in case of bands, so k1, k2, k3, and so on. Rough terrain would be asterisks (*), representing the loose stones scattered about, and impassable terrain could be marked with a hash(#), representing the larger boulders in the way.

see.i enjoy people on gaia. they are very helpful. i didn't think of that although it should have been obvious because i work with google docs at school al the time smile

thanks again for the help

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces