Welcome to Gaia! ::

so no help crying now I'll have to develup it all an my own.
The trouble is most RPGs have some kind of random element in them so even the best person can miss and the worst hit occasionally.
It all stats are fixed then more powerful characters would always hit, weaker characters would always miss, this presents you with the problem of the most powerful characters becoming more powerful and the weaker ones staying weak. Quite simply in a game where there is no random element anything that involves chance (e.g hitting and missing) is null and void.
And since there's no way to implement a random number generator on these messageboards, there's no hope to this. Sorry.

While it is possible to run a diceless (i.e. nonrandom) RPG, those are usually primarily based on complexity and player action/interaction.

What you're wanting, I suppose, is an incredibly more complex form of chess. But have you considered that chess is pretty complex by itself?
Okay, I have a weird-a** idea to add, but you might like it.

In my experience, no random element=no dice=no fun. If Jim is gonna hit Kim Every time then Kim might as well stay home.

So I was thinking about a semi random element and got something really weird.

Keep track of rounds. round 1, round 2, so on...

now, lets say Gabro the Arcane is swinging his staff at Maraxus.

it's round one.

Compare the first two letters. of each name.
G comes before M
Gabro gets a bonus (10-20, I'd say)
Round 2, they tie.
Round 10
Gabro the Arcane
Maraxus

Round 10 Gabro has 'A', while Maraxus had to start over and has 'r'. Gabro has the advantage.

You could change the condidtions each battle (low letter wins), so Aardvark the Aasimar doesn't always win over Vampire Lord. Or each round (high odd, low even). Etc...

Winning letter gives +10-20 on the relevant stat (agi or def) for that action, while loss give a bonus to the other guy. Ties mean no advatages either way.

Basically, if you have the advantage on one opponent in a given round, you may not next round. Or if your opponent has the advantage over you, but is engaged with someone who has the advantage on him that round, he may change targets and attack you.

I think that's about as clear as mud. Lemme know if that helps.
Ya. I could have someone ref each battle but that adds a hole new problem.

I did figure out another way. The Hit/Evade (I'm using hit instead of agility) stats could be fixed and types weapons and armor will decrees your hit/evade and special accessories could raise it. Magic on the other hand will be based on the environment (ice magic works better in cold places, wind magic works better in a storm so on and so forth)

EX:
_________Knife/sword/battleAxe/staff/bow/L armor/M armor/H armor
___Hit: 50__0____-1____-3______0__+1____-1_____-2______-3
Evade: 50__0____-1____-3______0__+1____-1_____-2______-3

So a Level 10 Knight will always have a hard time hitting a level 1 thief from the front.

Mage class characters will have a slightly different hit/evade when using magic

There ill also be stases affects like blind and True site which will affect hit/evade.
Butcher Jackson

In my experience, no random element=no dice=no fun. If Jim is gonna hit Kim Every time then Kim might as well stay home.

it's round one.

G comes before M
Round 2, they tie.
Round 10
Gabro the Arcane
Maraxus

Round 10 Gabro has 'A', while Maraxus had to start over and has 'r'. Gabro has the advantage.

You could change the condidtions each battle (low letter wins), so Aardvark the Aasimar doesn't always win over Vampire Lord. Or each round (high odd, low even). Etc...

Winning letter gives +10-20 on the relevant stat (agi or def) for that action, while loss give a bonus to the other guy. Ties mean no advatages either way.

Basically, if you have the advantage on one opponent in a given round, you may not next round. Or if your opponent has the advantage over you, but is engaged with someone who has the advantage on him that round, he may change targets and attack you.

sounds like a good Idea. lookes complicated at first but I think I could use it.
Alwase Hmmm more I think about that Idea more I like it. with it you will have to choose when to hit and when to not so to have an advantage. This will also work with larger teams as most battles will be fought 6 on 6.

Jon wont be able to get the advantage if he keeps attacking Kim on his own so he lets his ally Jake take over the fight and Jon will go after Kim’s ally Maxy.
Dane Rose
Butcher Jackson

it's round one.

G comes before M
Round 2, they tie.
Round 10
Gabro the Arcane
Maraxus

sounds like a good Idea. lookes complicated at first but I think I could use it.

Looks good to me. If it end up not working well enough, the GM can randomy assign which letter starts and whether H > L or L > H. That way the players don't know off hand.
Draco18s
Dane Rose
Butcher Jackson

it's round one.

G comes before M
Round 2, they tie.
Round 10
Gabro the Arcane
Maraxus

Looks good to me. If it end up not working well enough, the GM can randomy assign which letter starts and whether H > L or L > H. That way the players don't know off hand.
sounds sound. Befor a Battel can be taken place everything has to be stet up.

Charters stating points / the whether / the rules / any possible changes to the board / any bets placed on the battle, and so on so forth.
Really the only thing I'm worried about the system is that someone will find a way to hack it and gain maximum advantage somehow (Aardvark the Aasimar Assassin comes to mind). Although the reverse order will hamper this (and the random starting point also, although more complicated), I keep thinking maybe I missed something.

And to keep things interesting, it may not be character names used. Maybe make each player use his real name, or pets' name. or <i>birth month</i>. Weird, huh?

To me a 20% advantage sounds like enough to make a major major difference. 10% sounds like enough to make tactics more important than Advantage. maybe 15 is a good middle-ground.

Of course, this system adds the unrivalled awkwardness of the barbarian hordes constantly asking "what was your name again?"
you could say if attacked from the side you get -5 evasion and from back its -10 evasion. the thing with how much it goes up every lvl is easy just base it on the class like: warrior +2 every lvl. thief +4 every lvl. etc.
I just love the fact that if the DM announces that it's "reverse day" <b>Zyx Zuwuvyzyx</b> suddenly becomes the luckiest dude on the planet. Course, I guess every other day for <b>Zyx</b> must suck roboballs (especially in highschool)...

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff