Welcome to Gaia! ::

Friendly Hoarder

9,700 Points
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
Right now I am running a campaign, which will continue for quite some time, with various missions and quests all tied into the same world and setting. The characters just advanced to level 2 (well, most of them) and they are wanting to pick up some cool items, but I was wanting to make some of the rewards unique and cool, but I would like more items that have passive or non-combat related abilities - though I am open for anything. An example of a reward item I have created so far;

A Whispering Rose - Level 2
"This sweet smelling flower never wilts, always pure, always beautiful"
Wonderous Item - 360 gp
Property: This item grants a +1 to saves vs Charms.

To get this reward they have to do quests for the local garden keeper/apothecary in town. What I am looking for is simple items that don't have a large bearing or overpowering effect for lower level characters, but are still interesting enough to keep the players happy.

A few quests I plan on having (these are not vital to the main campaign, but good for a quick session or when not all players are available to progress the story);

Help for a Blacksmith (involves transporting weapons/armor/items from one village to another and fighting bandits or savages {treat as human minions})
Help for the Stablemaster (involves tracking lost horses and fighting some bandits)
Help for the Priest of Bahamat (involves finding a hidden shrine and fighting wild animals)
"A pest problem" - Help for a local farmer (involves rat swarms and giant rats)

I wouldn't mind having a few other quick quest ideas if you have them either. You don't have to work out an entire encounter or anything like that, just ideas.

You can post things here or PM me - I will check back here often.
I'm also running a campaign at about the same level as yours, and until the Tome of Treasures comes out in September I'm stuck hunting around for ideas for items. I have found a few, though; none too useful but fun all the same.

The really useless ones:

Basket of Neverending Cheese - level 4
This basket will supply it's bearer with a neverending supply of all sorts of wondrous cheeses.
840gp

Pig of Rubber - level 1
A pig-shaped object carefully crafted of rubber.
360gp

Both of those came from browsing around forums. The prices were determined by the Magic Item Prices chart on page 223 of the 4E Player's Handbook. That whole section is also useful for items, as a large number of them can be customized.

I also found a large number of shiny objects in a 3.5 book, but I can't seem to find it again. PM me and I can send you a copy of the page I printed. There are some nice items on there that could easily be given magical properties.

Friendly Hoarder

9,700 Points
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
Those are still awesome and I will surely try to fit them in my game smile

I read some through the items in the books, and I checked the website and they have a thing about a dragon's horde of treasure which was nice (PM me and I will send you a link). I have worked on some other items, but they are rewards for buying stuff from my store. I might, if enough people are interested, post some of the items I have made - so they might use them.

Friendly Hoarder

9,700 Points
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
Oh come on people, surely you can think of a few items that would be cool to have. I was thinking for the stablemaster's quest that you could get a lucky horseshoe that would give +1 save vs traps or something. I would like some items that do not make characters too powerful, but are more just fun and unique. neko_becca has been very helpful so far, hopefully some others might have some input too.

Friendly Hoarder

9,700 Points
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
Well, I have been very busy lately and was hoping some more people would have taken some time to reply - but I figure not as many people are playing 4th Edition. However, I would be happen with ideas as simple as, "A magic rock that won't sink in water." It doesn't have to be in playable format, I can work out the mechanics. You can even post a few of your favorite items from other editions or even table-top games - remember I have not went through all of 3.0/3.5 so I don't know what items were even in it.
Ooo, I just remembered another random item I used in my game. My friends call it "The Bodice of Gender-Bending" because anyone who wears it is physically switched to the opposite gender. It could be useful if your game relies more on interactions with NPCs, or it could just be a random addition to battle. You could even give it stat bonuses if you give it to a higher level group.

Friendly Hoarder

9,700 Points
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
Thanks, that is a neat idea - I think it is funny that it is a bodice and it works both ways. A guy has to be somewhat of a cross-dresser to discover it's properties razz

I really do like that idea though. We used to use items that were cursed - like a "Helm of Hangovers" which made your character feel sick and dizzy but they couldn't take the helm off until it was disenchanted. We made items like that so everyone wasn't eager to just pick up and use everything they found assuming it was always better than what they were using.
Hah, I'm going to have to try something like that. I tend to give my players useful stuff now, so throwing something cursed at them should be hilarious.

They'll all be like:
Player: "Ooo, a new thing! Cool!" *uses*

And then fun will happen twisted
Alright, I found another fun thing for you. This thread (different site) has a whole section on items. I think they might be 3.5, but you can adjust some of them if you need to for 4E. I especially like the Cursed Items section.
Warder's Cloak

A rippling cloak that seems to blend in with it's surroundings, changing colors to match. The constant rippling motion has a nauseating effect on those that look at it.

+2 to Stealth checks
+1 AC to ranged attacks ((due to nauseating effect of cloak on people trying to aim at him/her))

totally ripped the item off of my favorite book series, the Wheel of Time.

Friendly Hoarder

9,700 Points
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
neko_becca
Alright, I found another fun thing for you. This thread (different site) has a whole section on items. I think they might be 3.5, but you can adjust some of them if you need to for 4E. I especially like the Cursed Items section.

Thank you, you are amazingly helpful smile

Friendly Hoarder

9,700 Points
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
Biological_Warfare
Warder's Cloak

A rippling cloak that seems to blend in with it's surroundings, changing colors to match. The constant rippling motion has a nauseating effect on those that look at it.

+2 to Stealth checks
+1 AC to ranged attacks ((due to nauseating effect of cloak on people trying to aim at him/her))

totally ripped the item off of my favorite book series, the Wheel of Time.

I won't hold it against you for ripping off Wheel of Time, but you can't hold it against me that I will rip it off from you wink

Great item, thank you very much.
I wish more people would post here, I'm getting some good ideas too. 3nodding

Friendly Hoarder

9,700 Points
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
I agree Neko_becca, I wish more people would post also. I made up/found/converted a few items last night - when I get them finished in format, I will post them here so you can use them too, if you want to of course smile
That would be great, thanks. I figured out a way to figure out whether to give a normal magic item or a cursed magic item to players through treasure. Roll either a d100 or d%, and if it's under 50 the item's cursed. 50 might be a little high for normal places, but if there's a likely chance for there to be cursed items it works pretty well. 25 might be better if there's less of a chance, though.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff