Welcome to Gaia! ::

Man-Hungry Man-Lover

12,300 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
I am attempting to create an anthropomorphic spider race for use in 5e DnD. So far all I have is a place +2 Dex, Darkvision, and proficiency with athletics. I want to give them spider climb at will or the ability to use web a certain number of times per day but I feel that may be a bit much.
I was wondering if there was any advice or suggestions someone might have when it comes to making this a race for PCs.

Adventuring Gaian

12,050 Points
  • Noob wrangler 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Vasyl Zaejue
I am attempting to create an anthropomorphic spider race for use in 5e DnD. So far all I have is a place +2 Dex, Darkvision, and proficiency with athletics. I want to give them spider climb at will or the ability to use web a certain number of times per day but I feel that may be a bit much.
I was wondering if there was any advice or suggestions someone might have when it comes to making this a race for PCs.
Generally speaking I would think of the broader details before trying to fine tune them for player usage.

1. Where did the race come from? (How did they come to exist.)
2. Does the race have some grand mission or goal? (Humans do not have one for the most part. But Drow do.)
3. What is a normal day for a normal member of this race?
4. What is a normal day for a member with elite status? (Royalty, noble, wealthy, (in)famous and so on)
5. What is the collective (common) moral standing of the race? (In other words, normal alignment range.)

How human is the race going to be? Are we looking at a race that looks similar to driders or more human with some arachnid features? What features are they going to have?
Again, those questions will help determine what to give them in terms of powers. If they are more human looking, how would they be able to use web or climb wall? (More limbs would make climbing walls easier for example.)

I do understand a bit of what you are feeling. I am currently working on taking the AD&D version of Psionics and adapting it to 5th. (Much easier considering I have material to work with I confess, but figuring out how to add aspects such as Maintaining powers and Girding powers without making the class over the top is a challenge.)

Another method is to make the race to your ideal and then playtest it to make it playable (not too strong but not too weak).

Shameless Cat

So.... are you creating Driders?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas