Welcome to Gaia! ::

Lonely Hunter

7,150 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Profitable 100
hi, I just bought my first ever trial deck. I got the Star-Vader deck. I bought them cause I liked the artwork on them and I'm a sucker for cool artwork. Anyway since I have them I figured I might as well learn how to play.

I vaguely remember the basics because I watched a bit of the show a while back and I was wondering whether the deck I got is any good. is vanguard a game which starter decks can be just as good as other decks or do I have to do a lot of investment to get a halfway decent deck.
I quite like dragons so would it be a good idea to try and get a hold of a lot of the cyber dragon cards to build around.

also is it possible to mix clans, cause Whilst I like these I also quite like the look the dragonic overlord deck and the thunder dragon cards.

Deathly Spark

12,875 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Marathon 300
Unfortunately trial decks aren't as good as non-trial decks. :l There are some decent cards in Trial Decks, but usually there's only one, so you'll need to buy more TD's in order to get them. You can mix clans, however: 1) Any triggers that you pull during your drive check that are not of the same clan as a unit can't have the trigger's effect applied to them, 2) Some Grade 3's have the Lord ability, which means they can't attack if there's a unit of a different clan on the field, 3) Some Grade 3's also lose 2k attacking power if there's a unit of a different clan on the field.

I'd advise switching to a different clan for now because Link Joker is quite expensive to improve upon if you're buying singles. Go for clans that have Extra Boosters that exclusively have cards in that clan (if that makes sense). Three clans I can think of at the top of my head that have this are Bermuda Triangle, Nova Grappler, and Oracle Think Tank. Narukami and Kagero are both well supported, so maybe go for those.

Questionable Rogue

8,400 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
The trial decks are decent. They're well balanced and built solidly.
Sure they only have ones or twos of a couple 'good' cards. But that's partially to drive sales. As it stands it gives you a solid base to build off of. They can be taken straight as it into Locals/Casual games with little issues and you'll likely play well with it. [Dependent on the Local Meta].

Of course a fully constructed deck optimized to your play style/build will generally play better then a trial deck. But the decks aren't completely useless. And as you're starting out it's a good place to start as any.

As to mixing clans. You can. But generally you shouldn't. Too many cards have effects that work best when the other cards in play are also of the same clan.

Get this or That when X number or Certain type of cards are in play or Vanguard, Lord skills, Sentinels requiring the same Clan as the card they are defending. Not to mention the trigger rules.

There are two rather solid decks that mix.

Majesty Lord Blaster

Grade One Blitz.

Outside of that you really shouldn't be mixing. As it simplifies deck building and balance issues. As well as consistency.

[Google/what have you both if you are curious on them]

IF you're starting out. I'd advise using the Cardfight Wiki and researching the clans, deck styles in the clans and cards. Which sets carry what. So you can figure out what suits you best. And then go from there.

Lonely Hunter

7,150 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Profitable 100
Army In Your Mind
Unfortunately trial decks aren't as good as non-trial decks. :l There are some decent cards in Trial Decks, but usually there's only one, so you'll need to buy more TD's in order to get them. You can mix clans, however: 1) Any triggers that you pull during your drive check that are not of the same clan as a unit can't have the trigger's effect applied to them, 2) Some Grade 3's have the Lord ability, which means they can't attack if there's a unit of a different clan on the field, 3) Some Grade 3's also lose 2k attacking power if there's a unit of a different clan on the field.

I'd advise switching to a different clan for now because Link Joker is quite expensive to improve upon if you're buying singles. Go for clans that have Extra Boosters that exclusively have cards in that clan (if that makes sense). Three clans I can think of at the top of my head that have this are Bermuda Triangle, Nova Grappler, and Oracle Think Tank. Narukami and Kagero are both well supported, so maybe go for those.

kagero is the one with dragonic overlord right? I quite like the look of that deck. cheers for the advice.

Deathly Spark

12,875 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Marathon 300
Jin_of_the_thunder
Army In Your Mind

kagero is the one with dragonic overlord right? I quite like the look of that deck. cheers for the advice.

Yup.
No problem. I wish you all the best in your Vanguard journey. biggrin

Dapper Noob

8,100 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Signature Look 250
When I first started playing Vanguard, I also started with the Star-Vader trial deck. I've made some changes to the deck, and it still needs a few changes still but, and I've got it to a point to where I'm happy with now.

My Star-Vader deck:

Grade 0:
Star-Vader, Dusk Tail Unicorn x1 (starting Vanguard)
Star-Vader, Stellar Garage x4 (heal trigger)
Star-Vader, Meteor Liger x4 (critical trigger)
Keyboard Star-Vader, Bismuth x4 (stand trigger)
Star-Vader, Nebula Captor x4 (draw trigger)

Grade 1:
Mana Shot Star-Vader, Neon x4
Prison Gate Star-Vader, Palladium x4
Homing Star-Vader, Fermium x4
Star-Vader, Aurora Eagle x2

Grade 2:
Strike Star-Vader, Krypton x3
Star-Vader, Pulsar Bear x3
Unrivaled Star-Vader, Radon x1
Star-Vader, Mobius Breath Dragon x1
Deep Shadow Star-Vader, Strontium x2
Singularity Sniper x2 (It's not a Star-Vader, but it will still be useful to you)

Grade 3:
Star-Vader, Francium x4
Star-Vader, Infinite Zero Dragon x1
Star-Vader, Nebula Lord Dragon x2

I want to put in a second Infinite Zero Dragon and Mobius Breath Dragon replacing (one) Francium and Radon, respectively. I also want to put in four Barrier Star-Vader, Promethiums in replace of both Aurora Eagles, one Neon, and one Fermium as well. And those are the changes I want to do for my deck from the cards that are out NOW! There's still several cards I want to put in my deck that haven't been released in America yet.
Army In Your Mind

Are you sure about #1? not that i'm doubting you it,s just that online i've been giving my shadow paladin triggers to my genesis, and no one has said anything thus far. I was under the impression that a trigger can only be used if you have a member of the clan on the field. I.e] you can give a genesis a shadow paladin trigger as long as you control a shadow paladin on the field

Deathly Spark

12,875 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Marathon 300
Angelic Clover
Army In Your Mind

Are you sure about #1? not that i'm doubting you it,s just that online i've been giving my shadow paladin triggers to my genesis, and no one has said anything thus far. I was under the impression that a trigger can only be used if you have a member of the clan on the field. I.e] you can give a genesis a shadow paladin trigger as long as you control a shadow paladin on the field

Not entirely. I'll have to ask my friends........

Questionable Rogue

8,400 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
Army In Your Mind
Angelic Clover
Army In Your Mind

Not entirely. I'll have to ask my friends........

Trigger only trigger if the Trigger has a matching clan member on the field.
Application of Trigger effects can be applied to whoever you want on the field. [So a Shadow Pali trigger can be put on a Royal Pali provided there was a Shadow Pali in play for the trigger to activate]

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff