Welcome to Gaia! ::

24,500 Points
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Party Animal 100
  • Destroyer of Cuteness 150
Quote:

Everyone pretty much cuts the cake in the same way - but you’ve been doing it wrong for your entire life.

That’s right - there is actually a scientific way to cut up your cake goodness, and it will keep the sponge moist and the cream soft for days.

The standard way to cut up a cake is to roughly estimate where the centre is and cut from there to the edge, before cutting a rough-sized angle to create a triangle slice.

However, this leaves it exposed to dry out quickly, meaning day number two’s slice is a massive disappointment.

But the scientific method, unearthed by baking fans at IFLScience, states that slices are cut into rectangles - and your cake will keep its goodness for a lot longer than you are used to.

Are you ready to have your mind blown? Here’s how you do it:

Firstly, cut the cake into quarters so you have four, equal-sized triangular portions.

If you can resist eating one of those chunks, then the next step is to cut next to the same line made when slicing it in half.

What you should be left with are two rectangular slices ready to be enjoyed.

Then, simply push the remainder of the cake together - this will keep everything fresh as you are essentially stopping any air from drying out the inside.

This ingenious method was devised in 1906 by a mathematician who wanted his cake soft and creamy.

Eating cake has, unbelievably, just got even better.

Source and Link to IFLScience that reported the story.

And the video showing the scientific method:

Yeah...I'll just stick to cutting the cake wrong. whee

Yuki_Windira's Husband

Invisible Hunter

13,800 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Marathon 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Video guy is nuts. Nice uniform slice my butt, those slices are pathetic. Get enough people to polish off the cake in about one sitting so you aren't stuck trying to get rid of the thing for days.

...Also, get a cake that doesn't use that stupid play-doh frosting. Hate that stuff.

Demonic Fairy

13,625 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Tycoon 200
  • Jack-pot 100
Maybe it's just me, but I've never known a cake to go uneaten for so long that this actually became a problem.
Not really mind blowing. Just some common sense.
Sorry, I don't believe in rectangles.

Lucky Hoarder

74,775 Points
  • Runway Supermodel 1000
  • Wing Mastery 100
  • Hellraiser 500
Who cares? Unless someone is so picky to complain about their slice of cake being smaller or something, just enjoy the thing however you want.

What's next? The ''right'' way to drink water? xp

Yuki_Windira's Husband

Invisible Hunter

13,800 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Marathon 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Ringoringa
Maybe it's just me, but I've never known a cake to go uneaten for so long that this actually became a problem.

We're not much cake eaters. So random birthday confections tend to linger. ...Until little sister finally eats it all anyway.

Big Member

10,675 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Noob wrangler 100
  • Brandisher 100
So the point of cutting the cake this way is to keep it from drying out? Guess the method is obsolete nowadays unless you plan on leaving your cake out.

Kawaii Shoujo

I will stick with ice creams cakes if you don't mind thank you very much. yum_icecreampie yum_icecreampie yum_icecreampie

Philosophizing Otaku

16,150 Points
  • Egg Collector 100
  • Team Moira 200
  • Falling For You 25
rofl Dear luna, this guy is nuts!

Also, I like stale cake. I like to let it sit in the fridge for a couple days, then chomp down that s**t! I don't like soft foods anyways.

But imagine a flaming cake. Think you can cut THAT, be my guest. *backs off*

Barton Paladin

17,690 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
invertqueen7

Also, I like stale cake. I like to let it sit in the fridge for a couple days, then chomp down that s**t! I don't like soft foods anyways.

...baked Alaska?

@OP: I just use a cake saver...

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
and it will keep the sponge moist and the cream soft for days.

Sounds like they started with a faulty premise.
The assumption that once you cut into a cake it will still be around "for days".

But who wants to bother to cut rectangles out of the middle of a cake and shove the two halves together?

Little Girl: "Mommy! Thank you for the fairy birthday cake! I want the piece with Tinkerbell on it!:
Mother: "I'm sorry sweetie. I have to cut a rectangle out of the middle to satisfy the scientists. But I can give you a piece with Tinkerbell's left foot and the tip of one of her wings."
Little Girl: "Awwww!"

Star-Crossed Memory

mind burning_eyes

24,500 Points
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Party Animal 100
  • Destroyer of Cuteness 150
Elraine Figarette
invertqueen7

...baked Alaska?

@OP: I just use a cake saver...

Since I can't bake a cake without managing to burn it, trust me when I say if I was to try out for America's Worst Cook I'd make it on the show, I always by a cake if one is needed and rarely is any left. If there is that one odd piece left I just keep it on the kitchen counter in the container it came in and it's still moist after a day or two.

I think though is because this guy refrigerates his cakes as opposed to leaving them out on the counter covered up.

And actually that would make a great scientific study or science fair project: Does a cake lose its moisture faster when refrigerated or left sitting on a counter?

Magical Tree

I'm not OCD enough to bother doing that.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff