Welcome to Gaia! ::

Sparkly Spark

Quote:
NEWSER) – A white Atlanta man was fired last week after the photo of a coworker's black child he posted to social media drew a bevy of racist comments from Facebook friends, the Atlanta Journal-Constitution reports. Gerod Roth, who goes by Geris Hilton on Facebook, posted the selfie of himself and Cayden, the 3-year-old son of coworker Sydney Shelton, on Sept. 16. The following are just a few of the racist comments made on the post soon after: "I didn't know you were a slave owner," "But Massuh, I dindu nuffin," and "Sambo????" Roth also reportedly responded to comments by saying Cayden was a feral child who was abandoned in the Atlanta projects.

Shelton, a 25-year-old single mother, didn't find out about the post until support started pouring in from social media, the Journal-Constitution reports. The president of Polaris Marketing Group announced Roth's firing Sept. 29, and Shelton says she's relieved he's gone. "If you didn’t mean it or you didn’t believe it, why didn’t you say something about it to the people posting?" Roth tells Fox 5 Atlanta nothing he posted was intended to be racist, and he's tried apologizing to Shelton via email. "Cayden has been victimized, but I have been targeted,” Roth says. The Journal-Constitution reports Roth has also been fired from a second job, and a number of his Facebook friends have also reportedly lost their jobs.

http://www.newser.com/story/214029/man-fired-over-facebook-post-about-coworkers-son.html
To Roth: If you did something other than joining with the others in making racist jokes about your coworker's kid, you might still have a job.
It would have been better if he either took down the picture or actually defended the child. While he can't control other people's actions, he had total control of his own.
Oh why did he have to join the dogpile? emotion_facepalm

Alien Dog

17,850 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Voter 100
  • Mark Twain 100
Of course he was targeted: He had racist Facebook friends. If he didn't want to get fired, he should watch who he associates with more closely, and unfriended and publicly shamed all those who showed any racist tendencies.

I mean, he'd still be guilty if he HAD unfriended and publicly shamed them for being racist ( since they were still racists, and had still been on his friends list ), and should have still lost his job and been unemployable forever more ( we can't suffer racists to be able to live and work amongst us, now can we? ), but that would have still been what he should have done. Well, that and accept his fate rather than trying to paint himself as a victim who deserves to be able to provide for his racist self and his presumably racist family ( if indeed he has one ).

Yuki_Windira's Husband

Invisible Hunter

13,800 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Marathon 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
UNSUB

Hey... my goggies resent that remark... >_>

Alien Dog

17,850 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Voter 100
  • Mark Twain 100
UNSUB

He says he didn't join the dogpile, and that he in fact unfriended the people that made the comments.

According to him, he made the "feral child" remark in a completely non-racist context, jokingly referencing the concept of a child running around and playing wildly the way children do.

Of course that's a load of bullshit, since it's not a white child he was talking about. Everybody knows "feral" is a term that is used to describe animals, so if he used an animal-based term for a black child, he's clearly talking about the well-known racial stereotype that black people are animals, and is therefore a racist.

Also, how so many racists might make it onto a nonracist person's facebook friendslist in the first place is inherently suspect, and is proof that he's a racist and deserves every bit of what he got.

Fluffy Treasure-Seeker

10,575 Points
  • Married 100
  • Generous 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
He definitely deserved what he got. He probably knew something like this was gonna happen ahead of time so he posted the pic to see it happen. >.< People like him should have their asses kicked.
JamesWN
UNSUB

Hey... my goggies resent that remark... >_>
My apologies to your goggies.

lastborntripletmack's Significant Otter

Popular Seeker

37,665 Points
  • Lavishing Romantic 250
  • Doting Romantic 100
  • Simple Romantic 50
Keltoi Samurai
Of course he was targeted: He had racist Facebook friends. If he didn't want to get fired, he should watch who he associates with more closely, and unfriended and publicly shamed all those who showed any racist tendencies.

I mean, he'd still be guilty if he HAD unfriended and publicly shamed them for being racist ( since they were still racists, and had still been on his friends list ), and should have still lost his job and been unemployable forever more ( we can't suffer racists to be able to live and work amongst us, now can we? ), but that would have still been what he should have done. Well, that and accept his fate rather than trying to paint himself as a victim who deserves to be able to provide for his racist self and his presumably racist family ( if indeed he has one ).
He was not fired from his friend's racist posts, he was fired for replying back with racist posts from what I read, either way they should fire all those that harass and discriminate against their disabled co workers or families. One man continues to verbally harass and boss around his disabled co worker and is still allowed to work, he even has threatened to both plant merchandise in people's backpacks and have them fired for stealing, or have his daughter claim that she was sexually molested for those that tell him he is being a p***k. If he had stood up for his coworker's son or even deleted the posts, or ignored them he probably would not be fired, and if he was he has a case of being unfairly fired since he is not responsible for his friend's actions. Then again I don't think this applies if he is in the right to work state. No he replied back with a racist comment himself.

Liberal Bibliophile

34,100 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • I Voted! 25
  • Elocutionist 200
It doesn't matter if there were racist comments. He took a picture of a young child without the permission of the parent and distributed that picture on social media, also without he permission of the parent. That on its own merited the firing.

The racism just adds to it, and I'm relieved not only he but some of his racist-a** friends lost their jobs as a result of their idiocy.

Hot-Scotsman's Queen

Wealthy Lover

10,650 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Super Converter 100
another reason i'm not on facebook. a nice peaceful life.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff