Welcome to Gaia! ::

Questionable Creature

So apparently at some Final Fantasy concert recently, Arnie Roth the composer, announced an FFXII remake was coming or some kinda remaster. I personally would be excited for this just because of it being the only Final Fantasy you actually need a PS2 to play and can't just get on PSN or a newer system. I'm actually in the process of saving to buy myself a new used PS2 and I'll be playing it again as well as many of my other PS2 RPGs I have stashed. But for anyone without the game or a PS2, you can't experience it anymore, or never did experience FFXII. So if this tease was true, I would be hoping for an HD remaster and not a remake like FFVII, but what do you all think?

Article Source

IRL Noob

i think this would be the best thing to happen to me final fantasy-wise crying if this were to happen i'd be way more psyched about it than the FF7 remake crying ASDLFJASKDJF i srsly hope it happens!!!

my PS2 at this point is an FF12 machine so it'd be awesome if i could just switch the PS4 on and play on that instead gonk
Even an HD port would fine with me. I still have my PS2, but the graphics are fuzzy on my HD TV. It's not like the graphics don't look great even today. I don't think there's much to improve on. Other than maybe some of the low poly models used for Quickenings and stuff.
But imagine actually being able to cast more than one high level magicks at once! Or at the very least, actually being able to cast ANY healing magicks while you are being pummeled to death by a pack of lobos...
Also, Since we never got the zodiac job system here in the US, that'd be great.

Versatile Stalker

19,475 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Battle: Knight 100
  • Hotblooded Hero 50
FFXII huh? Yeah I haven't played that in a while and one of the last games I played on the PS2. The very last mark in that game took me hours on end to defeat. gonk

Questionable Creature

Simply Obtuse
That depends on what system(s) they would release it for. Even though I would love to play it on the PC, Square Enix is absolutely terrible at porting their games.

I never have newer systems, at this point just waiting on my brother to PS4 upgrade and lend me the PS3. But just the fact that it was never released on PSN or anything, I'd love for anyone to be able to enjoy a good FF game on their newer consoles that maybe they never played before or don't have a PS2 for anymore. Now having played Xenoblade after the fact and gotten more into a very similar setup RPG I'm excited to go back and play FFXII as soon as I get myself a new used PS2. Back then I found it a little weird 4 or 5 years ago when I was playing it. And I was forever stuck on this crazy boss that dumped all these status effects on you at once, including numerous life sucking ones. But it's been so many years I think with better planning and stocking up on items, or maybe even grinding more, I could hopefully manage to beat it. I remember it was a good game with lots of questing and a pretty open world. A definite welcomed change from FFX which had good graphics and a nice story but was a bit more linear like FFXIII with no overworld.

Questionable Creature

Simply Obtuse
Naya Merai

I never have newer systems, at this point just waiting on my brother to PS4 upgrade and lend me the PS3. But just the fact that it was never released on PSN or anything, I'd love for anyone to be able to enjoy a good FF game on their newer consoles that maybe they never played before or don't have a PS2 for anymore. Now having played Xenoblade after the fact and gotten more into a very similar setup RPG I'm excited to go back and play FFXII as soon as I get myself a new used PS2. Back then I found it a little weird 4 or 5 years ago when I was playing it. And I was forever stuck on this crazy boss that dumped all these status effects on you at once, including numerous life sucking ones. But it's been so many years I think with better planning and stocking up on items, or maybe even grinding more, I could hopefully manage to beat it. I remember it was a good game with lots of questing and a pretty open world. A definite welcomed change from FFX which had good graphics and a nice story but was a bit more linear like FFXIII with no overworld.

It is curious that PS2 titles are not available on the PSN store but I suppose that has something to do with the fact that most PS3s are not inherently backwards compatible with PS2 games. I played it sometime around its original release and I thought it looked great but for whatever reason I never progressed very far and not long after that I made the terrible mistake of trading in a few of my systems, games, etc. and Final Fantasy XII happened to be one of them. As long as they don't alter any of the content in the game (adding more is fine) and bring it to the PS3 or properly port it to the PC, I'll be glad to buy it. I was actually considering purchasing a copy for my PS2 (again) but hopefully now I won't have to.

Yeah it seems like quite a handful of games will still be put on PS3 like Persona 5 for example. I hope they either put it across PS3 and PS4 or maybe with a PS4 remaster also put the original in the PSN for PS3 and Vita or whatever, don't make it a one console thing. I regret selling my broken PSP. I had some good games on there like my copy of Phantasy Star Portable 2 I had bought new and was able to go online with it. Should've just bought that charger off amazon for charging your battery outside the PSP and then bought an extra battery. But dumb me didn't do so. Had a charging port problem and sucked the battery when turned off.

Questionable Creature

Simply Obtuse
Naya Merai

Yeah it seems like quite a handful of games will still be put on PS3 like Persona 5 for example. I hope they either put it across PS3 and PS4 or maybe with a PS4 remaster also put the original in the PSN for PS3 and Vita or whatever, don't make it a one console thing. I regret selling my broken PSP. I had some good games on there like my copy of Phantasy Star Portable 2 I had bought new and was able to go online with it. Should've just bought that charger off amazon for charging your battery outside the PSP and then bought an extra battery. But dumb me didn't do so. Had a charging port problem and sucked the battery when turned off.

If they do insist on making it a PS4 exclusive like they seem to be with Final Fantasy VII then I won't bother with it. I loved what little I played and I am a huge fan of their games that take place in Ivalice but I'm not going to buy a console that lacks backwards compatibility, requires you to pay to play online and has almost no noteworthy exclusives just to play it. I regret getting rid of my PSP as well but only because it was one of the original ones that you could put emulators and ROMs on them and there's nothing better than being able to play games like Zombies Ate My Neighbors, EarthBound, etc. wherever I wanted. If it makes you feel any better, I traded in my PS2, Wii, an assortment of now difficult to find/expensive games and various accessories for a PS3 and the Collector's Edition of Fable III which turned out to be unbelievably bad. The only good that came out of it was Demon's Souls but it was not until some time later that I really got into it and enjoyed it.

I wanted an original PSP. I had played a lot of a friend's when we lived together for a few months. Also probably should've tried other Gamestops and not bought the day the idiot, that didn't know which way was up and seemed to be a dumb ********, was working and insisted brand new PSP 3000s and PSP Gos were all they had. Stupid crappy PSP failed little over a year later. But yeah I just wanna get myself a new used PS2 and enjoy all my good games again. Also I need to buy new stuff that's cheap in the future like Devil Summoner games and umm Nocturne since I loved SMT IV on 3DS so much. Probably need a new Persona 4 also. I never played the special after story on my old Persona 3 FES copy but I did beat the main thing on my PSP. Sucks Xenosaga III and then the last two .hack games and other G.U. ones I lack are so expensive now.

Questionable Creature

Simply Obtuse

I almost forgot GameStop exists but that's probably because sites like Amazon generally have better prices and their customer service is infinitely superior. I bought myself a PS2 not long ago but I have not had the chance to play it as I am saving it for a particular occasion. I only have TimeSplitters: Future Perfect and Gauntlet Dark Legacy but I could play those two games for hours and never get tired of them. Unfortunately I'm not that into JRPGs outside of Final Fantasy and it seems like the ones I like are slowly getting ported to modern systems.

FFIX is what got me addicted to JRPGs. And I guess the fact that in most you just level and get past parts that were too hard. Though I am a lazy grinder lol But I love the story, characters and gameplay to RPGs and JRPGs I just love most. I've got a lot of PS2 games. My only two non JRPGs are umm San Andreas and Resident Evil Code Veronica though I barely got very far in either. San Andreas bought not long before I lost my old PS2 and Code Veronica I got stuck on pretty early cause I suck lol. JRPG wise though I have all 3 Shadow Hearts games, Odin Sphere, the first two .hack games, the first .hack GU game, FFXII, FFX-2 still, Phantom Brave although I got a replacement copy for Wii recently which has an extra after story unlike the PS2 version, Xenosaga I and Xenosaga II, Digital Devil Saga 1, Tales of Legendia, Star Ocean Till the End of Time, Eternal Poison and I think that's all of em. I guess growing up with anime but not knowing about JRPGs for a while I eventually found I loved them and they were easier for me to actually enjoy and get somewhere in. So getting a new used PS2 for me after 4 years of not playing one and having a few games I hadn't even touched or barely, it'll be like just being dumped on with this whole library of games to enjoy again.

Questionable Creature

Simply Obtuse
Naya Merai

FFIX is what got me addicted to JRPGs. And I guess the fact that in most you just level and get past parts that were too hard. Though I am a lazy grinder lol But I love the story, characters and gameplay to RPGs and JRPGs I just love most. I've got a lot of PS2 games. My only two non JRPGs are umm San Andreas and Resident Evil Code Veronica though I barely got very far in either. San Andreas bought not long before I lost my old PS2 and Code Veronica I got stuck on pretty early cause I suck lol. JRPG wise though I have all 3 Shadow Hearts games, Odin Sphere, the first two .hack games, the first .hack GU game, FFXII, FFX-2 still, Phantom Brave although I got a replacement copy for Wii recently which has an extra after story unlike the PS2 version, Xenosaga I and Xenosaga II, Digital Devil Saga 1, Tales of Legendia, Star Ocean Till the End of Time, Eternal Poison and I think that's all of em. I guess growing up with anime but not knowing about JRPGs for a while I eventually found I loved them and they were easier for me to actually enjoy and get somewhere in. So getting a new used PS2 for me after 4 years of not playing one and having a few games I hadn't even touched or barely, it'll be like just being dumped on with this whole library of games to enjoy again.

That's understandable. I'm fairly certain Final Fantasy IV was my first but I enjoyed most of them. I probably could have enjoyed Final Fantasy VII as well if not for the character's lacking personality and the terrible pacing of the story. I only briefly played Final Fantasy VIII and Final Fantasy XII (as I already mentioned) but I stopped playing them before I got to Final Fantasy XIII. To be fair, Resident Evil: Code Veronica was an awful game but it's a shame about Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas. That along with Grand Theft Auto III and Grand Theft Auto Vice City are great games but I don't know many people who are heavily into JRPGs that stray away from the genre. There are quite a few games coming out later this year and next that make me feel the same way and two of them happen to be Final Fantasy games: Final Fantasy Explorers and World of Final Fantasy.

I enjoy other games I just suck at most of em XD I remember as a kid my brother's friend would bring his PS2 over back when it was a newer system and we all took turns on Vice City. We would each cause a bunch of chaos and destroy things pretty much and then whenever you got caught in the game it was the next person's turn. And I really enjoy Resident Evil 0, that one's not quite as difficult as others. I also enjoy zelda and mario kart and all that kinda stuff. Like I said, a big reason for my JRPG love is my lack of skills at other games lol. So I do mainly play JRPGs but other stuff is fun too.

Invisible Hunter

11,775 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Invisibility 100
  • Friendly 100
Oh man, I hope this is true. FF12 is my favorite Final Fantasy game aside from Crystal Chronicles.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff