Welcome to Gaia! ::

Devoted Lunatic

User Image User Image

I mean... All I ever do is shove my personal taste aside as best as I can when rating someone else's avatar. Heck, I've rated pink avatars, the gods know how much I flipping hate the color pink! But I've always and ever stepped away from my personal likes and dislikes (specially the dislikes), always looked at the items, how they where used, the distribution of the colors, the originality, what the other might want to try out to give the avatar more *pow*.

Now I'm asking you AT: Is that really so hard to do? Because all I'm seeing these days are: "3/10 not my taste" and the likes.

Have we forgotten the fact that there's a unique individual behind the avatar?
Or have we grown blind to all but our own needs and wishes?

Flame away and shoot me for bringing this up in
1!

Enthusiastic Lunatic

Do I have to beat somebody up for you? scream

As a rater I typically do my best to rate based on the typical AT "standards" if I don't personally like the style. Once or twice on my time here I have come across an avi that I've just not... I dunno, synced with? That makes an avi hard to rate because the overall feel of it is off for me and I can't see how to suggest something better- It's rare but when it happens I apologize and just give an average rate.

Devoted Lunatic

Chiropterix
Do I have to beat somebody up for you? scream

As a rater I typically do my best to rate based on the typical AT "standards" if I don't personally like the style. Once or twice on my time here I have come across an avi that I've just not... I dunno, synced with? That makes an avi hard to rate because the overall feel of it is off for me and I can't see how to suggest something better- It's rare but when it happens I apologize and just give an average rate.

User Image User Image

Oiiii! No! No beating up! It's just a trend I'm spotting here that I'm pointing out ^_^

Not being able to get a grasp of the avatar is very rare but it does happen 3nodding Had that happen to me once myself, ended up rating an avatar I really... didn't 'get'. So I just handed my usual jumble of advice with my apologies and asked the next rater to rate the avatar above me because I just... Didn't 'feel' it.
But just as of lately (well: not lately really, it has been a slow ride down hill for a while) the AT "standards" have been thrown in the deep and many rather prefer to leisure around at the surface instead of diving after them... If you know what I mean.
It's saddening, really.

When has the Avatar Talk morphed into a 'I talk'?

Tiny Werewolf

I try to never rate based on crap like that. Even if it's "not my taste," avatars of different styles are still good. I don't necessarily like bloody avatars, but that doesn't mean a bloody avatar deserves a 3/10. If it's good, it's good. Now, if it's bad, it's still bad, no matter what the style is, but most of the time here in the AT I can find good in just about any avatar, no matter the style, budget, or character.

Alien Invader

I wouldn't really take someone who rates like that seriously. It's possible to show some objectivity to an extent, like your color example, but overall we all have our own ideas about what makes an avatar good.

Ruthless Phantom

13,800 Points
  • Firestarter 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Inquisitor 200
☥ Behold Thy Pharaoh ☥
xxxxShe Speaks

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
              Yo, Sin, does a pharaoh have to execute a b***h? I think a pharaoh has to execute a b***h. mad

While I'm all for people rating in their own individual way, I find rating solely in terms of your own personal preference to be lazy and distasteful. I mean it's one thing if you POST a "I'm gonna rate you thread and you throw a disclaimer well I'm gonna give you my own personal tastes or something," but it's another to rate someone in a thread you didn't start with a emotion_puke /10 I literally cannot stand that, but as Susue said I wouldn't take said rater seriously.

They just mad their avatar isn't as half as good as yours.

Bloblike Blob

31,600 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
No I always try and do like you said when rating. Everyone has different tastes and in the end it's not so much about if you like it rather it's about what looks good, despite personal preference.

Devoted Lunatic

User Image User Image
Swamp Spell
I try to never rate based on crap like that. Even if it's "not my taste," avatars of different styles are still good. I don't necessarily like bloody avatars, but that doesn't mean a bloody avatar deserves a 3/10. If it's good, it's good. Now, if it's bad, it's still bad, no matter what the style is, but most of the time here in the AT I can find good in just about any avatar, no matter the style, budget, or character.

Aye, point there. When I spot an avatar that uses all poses of one and the same item over and over, I'll rate it low. Where's the originality? But some dare to step outside the box, they dare to work with rarely and hard to use items. Okay: their first attempt might nor be much but it is a big plus for using that hard-as-a** item!
And it really pains me to see that the ones who dare to use an item that is flipping hard to use get burned down.
It pains me to see that the ones who dare to think outside the 'box' (never knew that boxing was a possibility on the Internet) get shot down.

Susue
I wouldn't really take someone who rates like that seriously. It's possible to show some objectivity to an extent, like your color example, but overall we all have our own ideas about what makes an avatar good.

Oh, if I get a rate like that I just laugh. I started this thread as a 'awareness' kinda thingy. Not all of the ATers are old farts ya know. Some are as new as a fresh sprout of grass in the early spring sun. But they have the guts to look like the fall.
And they get shot down for it.

Devoted Lunatic

Pharaoh Misa
☥ Behold Thy Pharaoh ☥
xxxxShe Speaks

Yo, Sin, does a pharaoh have to execute a b***h? I think a pharaoh has to execute a b***h. mad

While I'm all for people rating in their own individual way, I find rating solely in terms of your own personal preference to be lazy and distasteful. I mean it's one thing if you POST a "I'm gonna rate you thread and you throw a disclaimer well I'm gonna give you my own personal tastes or something," but it's another to rate someone in a thread you didn't start with a emotion_puke /10 I literally cannot stand that, but as Susue said I wouldn't take said rater seriously.

User Image User Image

No! No! No execution!!!!
I'm just pointing out a trend I've witnessed slowly creeping in here at the AT. A trend that kinda kills the AT for every newbee who dares to enter because they get shot down at first glance.

Ruthless Phantom

13,800 Points
  • Firestarter 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Inquisitor 200
Sineaed
Pharaoh Misa
☥ Behold Thy Pharaoh ☥
xxxxShe Speaks

User Image User Image

No! No! No execution!!!!
I'm just pointing out a trend I've witnessed slowly creeping in here at the AT. A trend that kinda kills the AT for every newbee who dares to enter because they get shot down at first glance.

☥ Behold Thy Pharaoh ☥
xxxxShe Speaks

You sure? emotion_dowant

I honestly can't say I have. I mean I used to, but not so much anymore. Then again, you lurk within the walls of the original rate above and other rating threads whereas I've been consumed by more contests than I can count. emotion_facepalm

WraithDeer's Pardner

Saint Elder

The difference between a nine or a ten is whether or not I like the avatar. No one can rate an avatar 100% unbiased.

Devoted Lunatic

Pharaoh Misa
☥ Behold Thy Pharaoh ☥
xxxxShe Speaks

You sure? emotion_dowant

I honestly can't say I have. I mean I used to, but not so much anymore. Then again, you lurk within the walls of the original rate above and other rating threads whereas I've been consumed by more contests than I can count. emotion_facepalm

User Image User Image

Positive! I can hand out a punch or two when need be hun 3nodding

The AT my home away from home. TORYA is my home~base away from home. And the 'I rate you */10 because it's not my style' has become a trend in the rating topics. And I really do not like it.
Are we here to break the other apart?
Or to build each other up?

Muh, you focussing on contests isn't bad! Not one iota.
Heck: the AT needs them contests emotion_dowant

Devoted Lunatic

Pistol Kiss
The difference between a nine or a ten is whether or not I like the avatar. No one can rate an avatar 100% unbiased.

User Image User Image

True. One can not shove their personal taste aside for the full 100%.
But does that have to mean that the other avatar deserves nothing more than a (let's say) 3/10 because it's not you're style then?
I have seen it happen.
More than once...
On a daily base~

[I'm not saying you rate that low! I just want to understand why an avatar that's not to someone's personal liking deserves a 3/10]

Alien Invader

Sineaed
User Image User Image
Oh, if I get a rate like that I just laugh. I started this thread as a 'awareness' kinda thingy. Not all of the ATers are old farts ya know. Some are as new as a fresh sprout of grass in the early spring sun. But they have the guts to look like the fall.
And they get shot down for it.

I guess I didn't really get the awareness vibe. Then again I didn't really understand your last couple questions. Are we supposed to feel bad for the person who received the biased rate or are we supposed to be explaining the preconceived notions of what a rate is to the person giving the rate?

Devoted Lunatic

Pharaoh Misa
☥ Behold Thy Pharaoh ☥
xxxxShe Speaks

You sure? emotion_dowant

User Image User Image

Positive! 3nodding

It's just this down-hill tumble that I've been witnessing for a while now. And heck: my lack of activity here due to my month long trip to Germany kinda made it all the more clear to me. There's but a hand full whom actually rate confirm the "standards", the rest? They kinda dish out rates based on their personal likes and dislikes....

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff