Welcome to Gaia! ::

24,500 Points
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Party Animal 100
  • Destroyer of Cuteness 150
Quote:

What doctors at Washington, D.C. hospitals discovered inside a 62-year-old patient looks like a giant egg, and parts of it had a "firm and rubbery" texture similar to a hard-boiled egg. But this was no egg.

It's called a peritoneal loose body, and according to one of the doctors that had it surgically removed, this is the largest specimen of its kind reported in medical literature to date.

"The mass was likely made of a small piece of fat that fell away from its attachments when the patient was very young. Over time the fat calcified and continued to grow," urologist Dr. Rachael Sussman told The Huffington Post in an email. "Like a pearl inside an oyster."

The benign fibrous mass was removed in October 2013. Sussman, of Georgetown University Hospital, and Dr. Jonah Murdock of Washington DC Veterans Affairs Medical Center published an article about the mass in the New England Journal of Medicine on Thursday.

Peritoneal loose bodies develop inside the abdominal cavity. While they're not uncommon, they're usually much smaller than this.

"There have been studies on these bodies in the past and serial imaging shows they move depending on patient position," Sussman wrote. "In fact due to this feature they are sometimes referred to as 'peritoneal mice.'"

When the masses get to be this big, they can cause increased or decreased urinary frequency, or obstruct the bowel, so they need to be surgically removed.

In this case, because of gravity, the mass sat on top of the patient's bladder in his pelvis, Sussman said. This led to increased urinary frequency, which he reported over a course of 20 years. After it was removed, frequency turned to normal.

The mass measured about 3.34 inches at its midline, and weighed about half a pound. When doctors cut it open, they found a calcified bit of fat at the center. The green dye you see was added later to show the sections more clearly. The yellowish part at the center is the section of mass that calcified.

Sussman said the mass was odorless when they cut it open.

Source

And pictures of the mass: *one a scan, one of the mass inside of the body, one measuring the egg, and finally the mass cut open:

User Image

Glad to know that the gentleman's urinary frequency returned to normal.

Fluff Saint

15,400 Points
  • Love Machine 150
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Pet Lover 100
This is just so weird. It really does look like an egg.

Big Noob

Meanwhile...the patient is being comforted by his close friends.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Bloodthirsty Carnivore

27,550 Points
  • Hunter 50
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Vicious Spirit 250
Damn, easter bunny's hide game went a lil too far...you hide it from the kids, not in the kids.

JamesWN's Secret Admirer

Spoopy Bibliophile

Urf,just in time for Easter! x-x;

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
That's... the prettiest growth I've ever seen. Shame they had to section it for testing.

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
Yuki_Windira
Urf,just in time for Easter! x-x;
LOL, do you think the NEJM scheduled it for publication this week to coincide with the holiday?

No Sweetheart

31,400 Points
  • Fan Before It Was Cool 500
  • Waffles! 25
  • Partygoer 500
Well that’s gross and at the same time interesting.

Hesitant Phantom

12,900 Points
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
  • Invisibility 100
  • Timid 100
Before it was cut, it looked like polished marble. This is when you get a stand and display it over the fireplace, but tell folks that it's egg-shaped marble, let them pick it up, and then reveal the truth. Then, observe their reactions.

Relentless Glitch

That's purdy.

Kawaii Shoujo

Nemone
That's what I was gonna say too... who knew that men could lay eggs? rofl rofl rofl

Fluff Saint

15,400 Points
  • Love Machine 150
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Pet Lover 100
fairy-phoenix
Nemone
That's what I was gonna say too... who knew that men could lay eggs? rofl rofl rofl

Even more ironic, when I went to look at this post there was an egg right on top of it that I collected, lol. xd

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
So I see in the lower right photo they dyed it for Easter.

But anyway - interesting and weird.

Dedicated Student

xXFurygeistXx
Damn, easter bunny's hide game went a lil too far...you hide it from the kids, not in the kids.
lol.

Dedicated Firestarter

23,975 Points
  • Blazing Power of Friendship Wave 200
  • Comrades in Arms 150
  • Firestarter 200
That's interesting, I'm gonna show this to the nurses/docs I know, they'd find it pretty cool.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff