Welcome to Gaia! ::

Wrathful Mystic

I suppose this is somewhat a minor request/suggestion but its something thats been bothering me for a little bit here

I find that most faces are designed on light skin? and most of them only look good on lighter shades of skin. as you can tell this sort of thing is very frustrating for me when I want a good face for my little pixel man and if i I have dark skin well--

User Image
(item: world protector)

idk about you guys but i think this looks pretty psychotic. in fact most of them are made with the pixels just being too light colored like so --

User Image
(item: get some style)

I cant really see whats going on here??

and ...

User ImageUser Image
(item: princess manner)

the pixels are just way too light it looks very strange on this skin tone. I find a lot even in the default mouths looks really odd on this color as well???

and I'm not saying ALL are this strange, the eyes I have on currently seem to work for me, but for the most part I find using faces on this base is very difficult unless i change my skin to lighter shades, so I was wondering if there could be something made specifically for darker tones to use. also I've found these sorts of issues also apply to the dark greys/etc I just feel like they are designed on light bases and not made for darker ones, if you get me.

anyway thanks!

Enduring Codger

This.
And don't me started on face mods + the uber dark/black skin tones.
Some of them look like a horrible copy and paste, Photoshop edits.
emotion_facepalm

Wrathful Mystic

The Odious
This.
And don't me started on face mods + the uber dark/black skin tones.
Some of them look like a horrible copy and paste, Photoshop edits.
emotion_facepalm

yea exactly.. this just kinda reinforces my theory that the pixel artists make them on white/light skin bases without testing on dark skin or making a variant-- and it kinda leaves us with the shaft so to speak... so something special for dark skin would be really nice, I dont wanna ask them to change whats made but give us SOMETHING at least.

Unbeatable Protagonist

29,625 Points
  • Falling For You 25
  • Waffles! 25
  • Diedrich Supporter 50
I concur.

I have noticed a similar issue with the Proteus SDplus doll's wig pose. Great blonde hair, but the eyebrows look practically invisible on Skin tone D.

Wrathful Mystic

TtheHero
I concur.

I have noticed a similar issue with the Proteus SDplus doll's wig pose. Great blonde hair, but the eyebrows look practically invisible on Skin tone D.
its all just so unfortunate because I love dark skin for a lot of things but man i want a cute face too crying

Shy Witch

31,850 Points
  • Budding Witch 250
  • The Edgiest 250
  • Ghost Hunter 250
Yes, it's about time they did something about this. This is the primary reason I don't make dark-skinned avis very often.

Namius's Queen

OG Gaian

63,450 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Ghost Hunter 250
  • Knife Club Lifetime Membership 0
Welcome to the struggles of darker skinned avatars. So many face mods look so bad on skin tone D.

Divine Hellhound

Story of my life.
So many cute face mods or makeups that look down right awful with this skin tone.
Its such a pain to find one I like only to learn its got wonky super pale shading or something.

Eternal Sex Symbol

44,250 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Battle Hardened 150
Ugh, agreed. I've been complaining about this for years. (it's likely that the artists are probably desining items on a light skinned base as a "default" wink It's not just faces either, it's also makeup and other things that go on the face. Outside of the Masquerade item, there are very few makeup poses that look good on the darker skin tones. They either stand out too much, making the avatar look like a clown whore, or they're barely visible. They really should make more face items with darker skinned avatars in mind.

Enduring Codger

Zheida

yea exactly.. this just kinda reinforces my theory that the pixel artists make them on white/light skin bases without testing on dark skin or making a variant-- and it kinda leaves us with the shaft so to speak... so something special for dark skin would be really nice, I dont wanna ask them to change whats made but give us SOMETHING at least.

Agreed.
In the very least, they definitely should balance it out a bit... even just a little bit.
'Twas the major contributor as to why I've rarely made dark skinned avatars in the past.

Helladic's Pardner

Destitute Noob

If your avatar ain't light skinned and female, they don't give a s**t about you.
I have learned to take what I can get even if it's just bread crumbs.

Roasai's Fangirl

Colorful Cottontail

19,000 Points
  • Foolhardy Benefactor 500
  • Married 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
User Image

Always Be True To Yourself

Although I don't use dark skin tone avi's, I do adorn body's dyes/skins and get the same issue. Anything that's dark (grey, navy blue, red, black ect) gets this wide-paper-cut-out-eyes look and it puts me off entirely. I'd love to see some items made that blend smoothly with the darker skins/dye's we have here.

No Matter Who You Are

cutethulhuuu's Sidekick

Interstellar Trash

It's unacceptable. sad

Lonely Smoker

20,115 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Millionaire 200
eviliven lady
If your avatar ain't light skinned and female, they don't give a s**t about you.
I have learned to take what I can get even if it's just bread crumbs.

Your avi is friggin' amazing. OhMyGoodness I love it. whee

Anyway - I agree with everyone else here, Gaia has had this problem pretty much since the damn beginning. You'd have thought they'd have made a little more effort here. Although it's unsurprising. As you say, if you don't have a lightskinned female avi... your options are incredibly limited. The community has been vocal about this for as long as I can remember, but all that's given is scraps.

It's not even just facial mods / eyes / make-up that's the problem, I've noticed Wigs seem to have issues as well. They just aren't made with anything other than pale-skin in mind. It's a shame too, because I've seen thousands of gorgeous item suggestions that would remedy this very problem. but artists won't make them. Not much $$$ in it, I imagine.

Omnipresent Rabbit

30,750 Points
  • Energy Harvester 150
  • Married 100
  • Striking Knight 150
~ I know Gaia can't do everything for every base all the time, but this has and probably will always be the plight of dark elves on this site. I have little tricks here and there that lessen them (I thank Gaia for the mysterious captain regularly as it made eye shading less of an issue), but that doesn't mean that I don't ask for constant improvement.

I still hate stuff like the Taru cosplay from the last summer event. On female bases it does nothing so I was all excited I bought it and sent it as a gift to my hunny! Oh how hideous (on the male base), shading on the pants to make abs that apparently had to go up to the neck so that it's impossible to cover. Even the arm mod having some toning on the shoulder and around the hand (though admittedly that's a slight bit better and easier to overlook). They really wanted to tone up the people who wore it. Too bad it only works on some human bases, but all the way to the neck. I was so upset.

This actually happens so often to me it's sad. u.u;;

There are a ton of mouth items that are invisible or looks like we have herpes because of shading. It is extremely limiting though I do enjoy when they throw items out there with appropriate shading or fantasy arms. =3 ~

*This post has been brought to you by Baby Fafnir. User Image

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces