Welcome to Gaia! ::

Which is better?

Timid and Jolly 0.54545454545455 54.5% [ 6 ]
Modest and Adamant 0.45454545454545 45.5% [ 5 ]
Total Votes:[ 11 ]

Sparkly Kitten

I always have trouble deciding between Modest/Timid and Adamant/Jolly

Which do you prefer? The speed boosting one? Or the offense boosting one? Why?

Right now I'm trying to breed a competitive (mega) Gardevoir, but darn i'm so indecisive...
idk, someone the neutral ones are fun... quirky. emotion_c8

Omnipresent Traveler

Well, I'm not actually a competitive battler, but I do breed competitive pokemon for the purpose of clearing out places like the Battle Maison (Subway, World Tournament, Battle Frontier, etc.) I generally look at the base stats of the pokemon I plan to work with to determine whether they might benefit from more speed or more hitting power. Now, usually, I prefer to have my pokemon with a lot of speed, but for pokemon that aren't terribly fast to begin with I try to balance it out with more hitting power and investing in some staying power.

When I look at Mega Gardevoir I see plenty of raw offense in that 165 base special attack so I think that 100 base speed could use more cushioning overall. On the other hand, I might enjoy playing a few mind games by giving it a Naughty nature to give it a little extra attack in exchange for some of that hefty special defense and give it Shadow Sneak for some priority. Even if it's on the weak side, sometimes that little dose of priority can make a huge difference. But that's me. I'm weird and I like do crazy experiments with move sets for my pokemon. But, getting back to something a little more standard, you can always raise Mega Gardevoir's special attack further with Calm Mind so I tend to think it would benefit more from additional speed since it has no way of raising it on its own.

And there I go drastically over-thinking things for a pokemon I don't actually plan on using. But yeah, I usually decide things based off the combination of stats and available movepool that I might want to take advantage of. Of course, sometimes I just raise three different versions of the same pokemon to test different sets.

Malevolent Fairy

12,250 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
I nearly always admittedly go for modest/ adamant. Any Pokemon either side of the 80- 110 speed tier generally won't benefit too much from a small amount of extra speed because they don't have the same competition, or at least as small a difference in stats between the members of their speed tier. The only time it would make a difference with say a max speed adamant Crobat is if another 130 Pokemon had a speed boosting nature; something that won't come up very often. Just as a Slowpoke isn't going to outspeed anything regardless.
That said, I've had great results with a jolly Mamoswine... I don't battle particularly competitively, but I do love to win against friends, and good ol' Tofu has played a part many times.

Sparkly Kitten

Bukumber
idk, someone the neutral ones are fun... quirky. emotion_c8
I think they might be good for a mixed sweeper, but otherwise I just like to play it safe with the same ol stat boosting natures sweatdrop

Sparkly Kitten

Crystal Mizuka
Well, I'm not actually a competitive battler, but I do breed competitive pokemon for the purpose of clearing out places like the Battle Maison (Subway, World Tournament, Battle Frontier, etc.) I generally look at the base stats of the pokemon I plan to work with to determine whether they might benefit from more speed or more hitting power. Now, usually, I prefer to have my pokemon with a lot of speed, but for pokemon that aren't terribly fast to begin with I try to balance it out with more hitting power and investing in some staying power.

When I look at Mega Gardevoir I see plenty of raw offense in that 165 base special attack so I think that 100 base speed could use more cushioning overall. On the other hand, I might enjoy playing a few mind games by giving it a Naughty nature to give it a little extra attack in exchange for some of that hefty special defense and give it Shadow Sneak for some priority. Even if it's on the weak side, sometimes that little dose of priority can make a huge difference. But that's me. I'm weird and I like do crazy experiments with move sets for my pokemon. But, getting back to something a little more standard, you can always raise Mega Gardevoir's special attack further with Calm Mind so I tend to think it would benefit more from additional speed since it has no way of raising it on its own.

And there I go drastically over-thinking things for a pokemon I don't actually plan on using. But yeah, I usually decide things based off the combination of stats and available movepool that I might want to take advantage of. Of course, sometimes I just raise three different versions of the same pokemon to test different sets.
Those are all really good points. Thank you for your insight.
You're right, calm mind can boost satk, so I think i'll go with timid 3nodding

Naughty gardevoir sounds different.
I'm pretty boring/predictable when it comes to my pokemon I'm afraid.
I'm definitely more likely to put shadow sneak on a gallade, not gardevoir. xD

Omnipresent Traveler

MissAnnoyingPants
Those are all really good points. Thank you for your insight.
You're right, calm mind can boost satk, so I think i'll go with timid 3nodding

Naughty gardevoir sounds different.
I'm pretty boring/predictable when it comes to my pokemon I'm afraid.
I'm definitely more likely to put shadow sneak on a gallade, not gardevoir. xD

I tend to be more flexible with my pokemon because I've trained up a lot of wild caught shiny pokemon (the result of an inordinate amount of grinding to get my favorite pokemon up to level 100 which in turn leads to even more grinding to train each new shiny thus becoming an unending cycle of new pokemon I want to train) that don't have the ideal nature or stats to run their more standard sets so I've had to think a lot about what will work best for them as individuals. It got me into the habit of improvising strategies with pretty much all of the pokemon I decide I want to train. Of course, that approach isn't for everyone, but it's something I've come to enjoy. But, again, I like to experiment and it gives me plenty of excuses to just have fun continuing to play the game well after the story has ended.

Anyway, I hope it all works out for you with your Gardevoir. Good luck!
In competitive battle, it's pretty much decided by comparison. You pick the nature by comparing the pokemon to others in the same tier or the ones that you think yours will be up against. You want it to outspeed certain pokemon, but you also want it to hit hard those faster ones that you can't outsped.
For example, I raise dark pokemons myself. For bisharp, i go with adamant nature but give him EVs enough to outspeed a maximum speed azumarill.
But for fragile speedy pokemons like weavile, you have no other option than giving him a jolly nature and pray to the god you OHKO the opponent, since it relies on its speed and power only and can't take a hit well.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff