Welcome to Gaia! ::

Which type of gaming channel are you most likely to view?

Let's Plays 0.25925925925926 25.9% [ 7 ]
Walkthroughs 0.14814814814815 14.8% [ 4 ]
Achievements 0.25925925925926 25.9% [ 7 ]
Game Reviews 0.074074074074074 7.4% [ 2 ]
Other 0.25925925925926 25.9% [ 7 ]
Total Votes:[ 27 ]
1 2 >

mlle fett's Wife

Toxic Lover

25,225 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Full Selection 200
  • Fusion Master 1000
Tried asking this in Chatterbox but it quickly gets bumped out. Was debating whether this should go in the general "Entertainment" section or specifically for Gaming since that's what my channel will be dedicated to. If this in the wrong section, I'll just delete this.. sweatdrop

So, I've been planning on starting up my own Youtube gaming channel for a while now, so I wanted to get some opinions on what you guys most like watching.

Let's Plays
Involves gamers hooked up to a microphone (and sometimes with the camera on for "reaction" footage), usually experiencing games for the first time. This leads to some running around for ages trying to figure out game progression, however it lets watchers experience the game more naturally.

Walkthroughs
Usually the gamer doesn't speak much (aside from possibly the intro/outro), but instead let's you experience the game without much interruption. Usually their second time playing so they know exactly where to go and have (more than likely) mastered any controls/mechanics.

Achievements
Achievement hunter type people, usually short videos designed to explain how to earn particular achievements throughout a game. Also may include locations on where to find possible collectibles.

Other
Please state your idea below~

I think I'm leaning more towards an "Achievement" dedicated type of channel, since I'm a huge competitionist myself, but I'm not sure how many people share the same views, since none of my friends particularly like achievements. If that's the general consensus, it'd be pointless to waste time making videos that no one would enjoy watching. Let me know your opinions!
whee

Feline Lunatic

16,850 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Spirit of the Smackdown! 100
  • Hero 100
If it's views you're after, just pop out yer boobs and show a big cleavage... 1k+ male viewers guaranteed... emotion_awesome

Seriously though, there are way too much of those channels as it is already... You're not likely to stick out no matter how hard you try... Afcourse you might have more chances playing games that aren't overused as ******** already... Not many sane ppl spend their time watching other ppl play unless they're really stuck on a part, resorting to walkthroughs or LP videos only to quickly fast forward to that part while muting the annoying talking just to click it away again once they found what they were looking for... And the only viewers you will most likely have are either friends being polite or guys hoping to see "more of you"... cat_neutral

Eloquent Muse

There are way too many Let's Play that make it very difficult to find videos not talking. The best way to experience a game is to just play it.
I'm a chicken for horror games, but watching doesn't affect me. Those are the only times I will look up walkthroughs. If someone is yelling and swearing, that ruins my enjoyment. It ruins the natural atmosphere of the games. Like Fatal Frame. Fatal Frame doesn't use music the way most games do. It uses distant moans and whispers. The house creaking. The wind. The ghosts themselves make their own sounds, both unnatural and speech. If someone is chattering away, it ruins that creepy atmosphere.

Achievement would work on games that need it. Same for Walkthrough.
Walkthroughs might get you the most views but probably won't get you a lot of followers and chances are, people will skip to the part of the walkthrough they actually need so you'll only get a couple minutes per video watched on average.

Lets plays are your best bet to garner followers and regular viewers but you really need to put in a lot of work and there's no guarantee that you'll even get 50 views per video. You need to be enthusiastic and have good presentation. I find lets plays with more than one commentator to be the most entertaining so if you have friends who are interested in doing it regularly with you, would be a good idea to get them on board.

I don't know if there's any interest in achievement videos.

Invisible Phantom

8,150 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
Achievements? On xbox? Let's do ittttttt!!!!
Do something original game wise. Stuff like Mario, MegaMan, Five Nights at Freddy's and Pokemon is way over done. Try something fresh and new.

Search for rarer, lesser known games and play through them. Talk about them, the characters, etc. Just don't over do it or spoil anything.

JRPGs take time and editing is the key. SHow new monsters, but not entire battles. Grind and level up off screen.

For the love of god. Don't make a long intro or play music during a video.

In a relationship with every woman

Diamond Dog

14,550 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Megathread 100
The idea that's yours and hasn't been done to death?

mlle fett's Wife

Toxic Lover

25,225 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Full Selection 200
  • Fusion Master 1000
YunaSama

Views would be nice but I'm not going to .. sell myself.. for the male audience. I can already see the sexist comments incoming. emotion_eyebrow

I suppose you're right about not garnering a large fanbase. It's wishful thinking for sure, but I have a lot of free time now until September so I figured it'd be a fun thing to try out. If it didn't work out, I'd simply take down the videos and give myself a pat on the back for at least trying~
whee

mlle fett's Wife

Toxic Lover

25,225 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Full Selection 200
  • Fusion Master 1000
Whiskey Grey

I agree. I'd love to do collaborations with some friends to brighten the mood of the videos. Too bad none of them like games. sweatdrop

Familiar Friend

16,000 Points
  • Streaker 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Prayer Circle 200
Well, I always figured that if you're playing a game you enjoy, and you have insight and opinion on it that other people do not, I guess that would be preferable.

What I always liked to think of myself is that if you first make a test recording or a few and then view it through yourself, you'd get to see what you can improve on or what you like.

Don't make annoying commentary. It only works for like 3 minute videos. You want to be pleasant to the ears and eyes. So, pay attention to that.

Run the footage by your friends and THEN post it on youtube if you get good responses. BUT run it by people you don't know as well so you don't have entirely biased opinion.

And if you start up a channel, I'd like to check out videos so I can be a guinea pig if need be.

EDIT:

Do some research on the genres and take note on what the traits are on each one and see if it suits you!

Kawaii Shoujo

I'm all for Walkthroughs since it's helpful for whenever I get stuck in a game and can find out what I need to do to get to the next part.

Feral Protector

12,900 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Cool Cat 500
Your best action so far is asking your potential viewers. Good job!
First be honest with yourself:
1. Your audio/video quality is good? (Make sure you can record in 60 FPS and Render your videos the same, it makes a huge difference)
2. Are you going to be serious about it or are you going to just put up videos on occasion?
3. Are you open to criticism? (Some people on youtube like to pick at parts of your video, I do this... a lot)
4. Do you really want to do this?

I only say this because its probably something you'll stop doing after a while and thats okay. Some people like to make videos and upload them for friends.

Lets Plays: I find them fairly boring and overdone. Doesn't matter how funny or beautiful you might be. Its something to do AFTER you've established yourself a bit or gotten a good feel for it. (I mean... anyone can do this and it takes little to no effort)

Walkthroughs: Good walkthroughs are hard to find (How to's are good and fall here as well). I'll watch a walkthrough with good audio and video (sometimes if im desperate I'll watch it too)

Achievements: This kinda falls through the walkthrough section. Unless they were randomly hard achievements you just somehow got and recorded. (Its a very grey area)

Other: Here is where you can get more creative. Montages, random acts, funny w/e's. (I'll watch the hell out of a good Montage and share it with people and possibly sub)

Gaming channels are hard to do thanks to the bigger channels being stupid as hell. Its hard to be taken serious (if thats your angle). I keep mentioning video and audio because within 5 seconds after your intro (if you have one) people are going to judge your whole channel on the first video they see. Intros are important too (If its more than 7 seconds I leave the video and dont come back). If someone comments on your video you should reach out and thank them, or at least acknowledge them (They took the time to watch part or the whole thing and comment). I wouldnt dedicate to a SINGLE type of video.. makes the channel boring and hard to maintain. Tagging is important as well (even tagging with mispelled words or short terms). There are so many things out there and you can only get so many people interested in a single thing. Vanilla ice cream is great.. but with a few cherries and whip cream its goddamn amazing.

Sorry for the long reply but I'm just assuming you may be somewhat serious on this. Its just some views myself and people who know how to grow a channel also see. I wish you luck on your endeavors.
You want my good and honest advice...
Don't, just plain don't.
There are enough "Big Dogs" doing this that you will go entirely unnoticed.
(unless you do as said before and show so much cleavage we can see your areola, but I don't think that's the kinda attention you want)

A lot of people look at "gaming" videos and say...
"I know stuff about games, this doesn't seem hard, I can do this!"
But the truth is that if you're going to do it on the same level as them you need,
A) Pro level skill at video editing
- None of this "HURR DURR Microsoft Movie Maker" Bullshit
B) Something ENTERTAINING that separates you from everyone else
- This is where 99% of everyone fails, the honest truth is that YOU ARE NOT INTERESTING
C) Dedication/Content to come out with weekly or bi-weekly content
- This is the other place that people fail, they lose interest, or their themes don't have enough content to warrant weekly videos. Or they do, and then they run out of conent

I blame Pewdiepie for making people think it's easy,
(Which by the by he basically cheats to be as popular as he is)
but the truth of it is that it's a job like everything else,
and I personally hope that every person who goes into doing them thinking it'll be fun and easy...
Grow to hate everything they do related to it,
so sick of whatever their topic is that they would sooner eat a spoon than do it every again.

Brainy Explorer

Noooo don't let these guys discourage you! You don't have to become pewdiepie to be successful and have fun doing it.

Anyway, I think that you should probably start with some achievement videos and then have a playlist for each of other options you listed. I know that when I search for a gaming video, it's normally because I'm having trouble with a concept or a boss or something. Everyone needs a little help sometimes ^_^

heart

OpZeroFilms's Kouhai

Eloquent Genius

22,800 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Little Bunny Foo Foo 100
  • Senpai's Notice 100
YunaSama
If it's views you're after, just pop out yer boobs and show a big cleavage... 1k+ male viewers guaranteed... emotion_awesome

Seriously though, there are way too much of those channels as it is already... You're not likely to stick out no matter how hard you try... Afcourse you might have more chances playing games that aren't overused as ******** already... Not many sane ppl spend their time watching other ppl play unless they're really stuck on a part, resorting to walkthroughs or LP videos only to quickly fast forward to that part while muting the annoying talking just to click it away again once they found what they were looking for... And the only viewers you will most likely have are either friends being polite or guys hoping to see "more of you"... cat_neutral

Actually, no. I set up my own channel with that idea. The channels that copy the big-name youtube gamers by playing the same games and making the same jokes generally get more views than a channel that plays games that get little to no attention. I guarantee that I am the only channel with a let's play of Spongebob Squarepants: The Legend of the Lost Spatula, but I still lose to Five Nights at Freddy's facecam videos.
Edit: not the idea of showing cleavage (because I have none), but the idea of playing games that aren't overdone as hell.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff