Welcome to Gaia! ::

Fades to Shadows
Leothalis the Magus
God I've heard that 'say goodbye to so many of your users' over so many things Gaia has done that just doesn't agree with you

and yet here we are
still alive.

Can we please start off with something new to threaten Gaia with?
Gaia has lost a lot of those people that threatened to leave. All you have to do is check the online numbers and the number of "guests" included in those numbers.
Odds are that those aren't users, but search bots and whatnot.
Can't be sure as that's not an area I give a damn in.
Leothalis the Magus
Fades to Shadows
Leothalis the Magus
God I've heard that 'say goodbye to so many of your users' over so many things Gaia has done that just doesn't agree with you

and yet here we are
still alive.

Gaia has lost a lot of those people that threatened to leave. All you have to do is check the online numbers and the number of "guests" included in those numbers.
Odds are that those aren't users, but search bots and whatnot.
Can't be sure as that's not an area I give a damn in.
That's my point. "Guests" are not members yet are included in the "users online" figure. If guests were removed from the users online this figure would often be significantly less. Example, there were 21k users online but of this amount 7k were guests, so in reality there were only 13k member online. Their numbers are definitely dropping. Not saying the site is dying or dead but the "good bye, so long" threats are not hollow. I know a lot of people who have quit or barely spend any time or money on here anymore, with the majority of them leaving in the past 2 years.

Spacs's Partner

Golden Alchemist

17,465 Points
  • Haunted Haute Couture: Cute 200
  • Married 100
  • Fashionable Fancy Dress: Avant Garde 100
Leothalis the Magus

and yet here we are
still alive.

less paypal moni

???? did we do this already ????

idk

Prophet

Instead, why not make a petition for Gaia to improve their Item requisition service?

In fact... why don't they improve all the background services instead of continuously adding new items to peddle?

Gaia has been in need of real updates for a while, if you ask me... and being able to preview items/make "Dream Avatars" through Gaia itself would be nice. It's been over a decade, now. And some of the really old features still haven't been updated for our modern age. Gaia relied, indirectly, on 3rd-party content such as Profile Creators/Themes offsite and TekTek because their own services are old, tired and barely functional.

I have a feeling the only reason they don't improve Avatars (by base models) is because expensive items already exist to simulate changes on an Avatar, without having to do any really hard work revamping the Avatar system.

But if they cared about preserving the site, they would be improving such things, instead of this shameless cash grab parade I've been witnessing.

Giddy Gaian

25,375 Points
  • Egg Collector 100
  • Party Member 100
  • Prepared for Liftoff 50
Fear Resurrected
there's a petition to get tektek back, not that gaia gives a s**t, but still.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Ok, while Gaia can negotiate with Tekton to make a deal that is agreeable to both parties, if Tekton makes the decision to take down a site that he owns and maintains and Gaia doesn't actually have a hand it, Gaia can't do anything about it. Because they don't own Tektek. This petition is utterly useless because Gaia has little actual control over the owner of the site.

jaciopara's King

Naughty Trash

Sara Free Falling
gaia is the one that sent the c&d order. they could repeal it if they actually cared about their users. tekton has dedicated 11 years of his life to that site with little to no appreciation. even though he was supposedly rolling in money from ads there were times he had to pay for the domain out of his own pocket.
he wouldn't just quit.

Giddy Gaian

25,375 Points
  • Egg Collector 100
  • Party Member 100
Fear Resurrected
Sara Free Falling
gaia is the one that sent the c&d order. they could repeal it if they actually cared about their users. tekton has dedicated 11 years of his life to that site with little to no appreciation. even though he was supposedly rolling in money from ads there were times he had to pay for the domain out of his own pocket.
he wouldn't just quit.
He wouldn't quit as long as there weren't legal repercussions for him continuing. It's clear now that there are legal consequences if he continues and taking down the site is indeed an option. It just might not be worth it to him to negotiate even if Gaia wants to.

You can't say "he wouldn't just quit" when you don't know the guy, or what he stands to lose or gain from this. Hell, even I don't know. And it might go back up if they reach an agreement with each other.

And again, Gaia can't make him put the site back up if he's decided it's not worth it at this point. Gaia's got to protect its trademark. And it's put out the order because the situation changed with this recolor me thing. It's my understanding that recolor.me is new and wasn't an issue in the previous years. Which means a changed legal situation. It sucks but we're going to have to deal with the disappintment.

jaciopara's King

Naughty Trash

Sara Free Falling
if you had ever poured that much of your life into something you wouldn't quit either. the only reason he did was the bullshit move gaia pulled. and there wouldn't BE legal repercussions if gaia dropped the order.
recolor.me is an excuse, nothing more. tektek has always advertised other avatar forum sites. copyright infringement was never an issue there.

Giddy Gaian

25,375 Points
  • Egg Collector 100
  • Party Member 100
Fear Resurrected
Sara Free Falling
if you had ever poured that much of your life into something you wouldn't quit either. the only reason he did was the bullshit move gaia pulled. and there wouldn't BE legal repercussions if gaia dropped the order.
recolor.me is an excuse, nothing more. tektek has always advertised other avatar forum sites. copyright infringement was never an issue there.

Ahahaha. Dude, wow, people quit things they put ten years of their lives into all the time because it ceases to be profitable or rewarding. They quit things they put twenty years of work into for a whole lot of reasons!

You're basically trying to be omnipotent here and it's not working. You're terrible at debating and you're making assertions you can't actually back up.

And yes there would be legal repercussions. For GAIA, for not protecting their trademark and ip. If they let this go in light of the recolor.me thing, then they lose the right to their mark in the long run, as I understand it.

jaciopara's King

Naughty Trash

Sara Free Falling
really wow people must have no sense of commitment then. anything you care about you fight for. tekton started tektek because he cared about giving users a way to interact with avatar creation.
funny so are you. you're just repeating legal bull gaia posted about. and also I'm not the one that even wanted to have a debate? you quoted me hours after I posted to piss all over a petition that wasn't even directed at you.

In a relationship with ur ddy

The Committee Staff Gatekeeper

I agree. But gaia will have something similar for a fee lol

Giddy Gaian

25,375 Points
  • Egg Collector 100
  • Party Member 100
Fear Resurrected
Sara Free Falling
really wow people must have no sense of commitment then. anything you care about you fight for. tekton started tektek because he cared about giving users a way to interact with avatar creation.
funny so are you. you're just repeating legal bull gaia posted about. and also I'm not the one that even wanted to have a debate? you quoted me hours after I posted to piss all over a petition that wasn't even directed at you.

If you think that spending ten years on something and then moving onto other things (and if he's got his own site it seems to me it'd be more fruitful for him to spend the next ten years of his dedication to that) is lack of commitment to anything then you have an absurdly high bar for what counts for commitment. Tektek isn't a marriage. It was a fun project that a lot of people liked.

And if pointing out the actual practical reasons a petition won't work is pissing all over it then you've got a lot of surprises waiting for you in life.

And that legal stuff? Isn't bull, it's something both Gaia and Tekton have to worry about because they're both trying to run businesses that could be affected by this if it goes on for long.

jaciopara's King

Naughty Trash

Sara Free Falling
not gonna even bother reading your response. if you don't support then petition don't ******** sign it. pretty simple if you ask me.

Shy Giver

Leothalis the Magus

and yet here we are
still alive.

I actually haven't really been too upset with any of the other things Gaia has done. I didn't do zOMG so that didn't bother me. This does. I have lost so many of my friends already because of this problem. I like having hope for this, it is what keeps me logging in, I want to see if there are updates. If not, I will only be on every now and then to see if any of my friends still visit.

Shy Giver

l Surge
Instead, why not make a petition for Gaia to improve their Item requisition service?

In fact... why don't they improve all the background services instead of continuously adding new items to peddle?

Gaia has been in need of real updates for a while, if you ask me... and being able to preview items/make "Dream Avatars" through Gaia itself would be nice. It's been over a decade, now. And some of the really old features still haven't been updated for our modern age. Gaia relied, indirectly, on 3rd-party content such as Profile Creators/Themes offsite and TekTek because their own services are old, tired and barely functional.

I have a feeling the only reason they don't improve Avatars (by base models) is because expensive items already exist to simulate changes on an Avatar, without having to do any really hard work revamping the Avatar system.

But if they cared about preserving the site, they would be improving such things, instead of this shameless cash grab parade I've been witnessing.

I agree 100% because we all know that they have been relying on tektek. Then they started advertising their own site on there and suddenly people were upset. Just because it wasn't all about them. rolleyes
Gaia has failed us.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces