Total Votes:[ 600 ]
< 1 2 3 ... 15 16 17 >

Beloved Fairy

34,050 Points
  • Noble Shade 100
  • Friendly 100
  • Lapin Patrol Avior: Victory! 50
DYRL
I wonder if most of the people in this know that Gaia did try to reason with Tekkon before the C&D and was basically ignored.

But who cares right? #GaiaRoast2k15

Honestly I was at apathy, then sadness, and now it's just frustration. Like, no one cares about the actual facts of the matter, it's like many are just looking for another excuse to call Gaia a shithole and leave anyway. I shouldn't care so much about what other people are doing, but it really bothers me.

King Noob

Knight of Britannia
DYRL
I wonder if most of the people in this know that Gaia did try to reason with Tekkon before the C&D and was basically ignored.

Honestly I was at apathy, then sadness, and now it's just frustration. Like, no one cares about the actual facts of the matter, it's like many are just looking for another excuse to call Gaia a shithole and leave anyway. I shouldn't care so much about what other people are doing, but it really bothers me.

- - -
Agreed. The bandwagon is real. And it sucks.
Yeah, nostalgia makes this a bitter moment, but Gaia is in the right.
Still, I ain't mad at Tektek either. I understand where they're coming from, too.

They created tektek back when Gaia was worth lovin'. Now that Gaia's changed so much, it's not worth lovin', and thus not worth maintaining a whole side-website for. Still, they love the aspect of avatar-creation. So why not make their own site, and maintain it in such a way that they think it's worth lovin'? And why not advertise that site where they know it'll be seen?

It's just a no-win situation, and neither site is really wrong.
- - -

Divine Anubutt

27,850 Points
  • Skilled Snowfriend Architect 100
  • Daring Investigator 50
  • WilyTrickster 50
I'm sick of the people demanding gaia be sued over the items they asked for... also for hoping gaia gets sued over items they had permission to make ._.
seriously this is like demanding a cake shop make a pokemon cake and then trying to get nintendo to sue them over it...

hollynoel's Bae

Kawaii Sex Symbol

Knight of Britannia
DYRL

Not onl that, but the thirst to bring Gaia down along with TekTek is so real.

A lot of people in SF are sending emails to Nintendo and other companies for homage items that aren't even exact copies.

I get that they're angry, but these people are just blinded by hate and not even looking at the facts that are right in their faces.

I'm not 100% happy with Gaia either, but god damn...Some of this s**t is going way too far.

Beloved Fairy

34,050 Points
  • Noble Shade 100
  • Friendly 100
Zaade
Knight of Britannia
DYRL

- - -
Still, I ain't mad at Tektek either. I understand where they're coming from, too.

They created tektek back when Gaia was worth lovin'. Now that Gaia's changed so much, it's not worth lovin', and thus not worth maintaining a whole side-website for. Still, they love the aspect of avatar-creation. So why not make their own site, and maintain it in such a way that they think it's worth lovin'? And why not advertise that site where they know it'll be seen?

- - -

Exactly. And I mean, who's to say what might pop up down the road after all this mess? Maybe Gaia will make a replacement, or someone else might who's actually willing to compromise. I don't believe Tekton had to do anything he didn't want to, so I don't really fault him for anything except maybe the choice to post the letter up that way.

In the end, I really don't see how it's worth jumping ship over, though again, I think some people just wanted an excuse to.

Beloved Fairy

34,050 Points
  • Noble Shade 100
  • Friendly 100
Toppaware
Knight of Britannia
DYRL

Not onl that, but the thirst to bring Gaia down along with TekTek is so real.

A lot of people in SF are sending emails to Nintendo and other companies for homage items that aren't even exact copies.

I get that they're angry, but these people are just blinded by hate and not even looking at the facts that are right in their faces.

I'm not 100% happy with Gaia either, but god damn...Some of this s**t is going way too far.

That doesn't surprise me, I figured people would do that. I find that the people who proclaim to love how this website used to be are the ones being the most petty and spiteful, and I don't understand it at all. I can be angry about things without harboring that much animosity for a website that I can get up and walk away from at any time-- that's the thing that gets me. But these people don't want to leave, they just want the place to crash and burn, and that's really sad.

King Noob

Knight of Britannia
Zaade
Knight of Britannia
DYRL

- - -

- - -

Exactly. And I mean, who's to say what might pop up down the road after all this mess? Maybe Gaia will make a replacement, or someone else might who's actually willing to compromise. I don't believe Tekton had to do anything he didn't want to, so I don't really fault him for anything except maybe the choice to post the letter up that way.

In the end, I really don't see how it's worth jumping ship over, though again, I think some people just wanted an excuse to.

- - -
Very right, my sensual Knight.
It's easy to hate on Gaia these days, but the way Tekton's goin' about it just stinks of him doing it for personal gain. Which, y'know, is understandable.
But it still feels greasy.
- - -

Sparkly Lunatic

19,050 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Senpai's Notice 100
  • Magical Girl 50
As much as it may pain me to think that Tektek may go away, I can't say I disagree with Gaia that much here.

Tekton did make his own avatar site that used Gaia based items, so it it copyright infringement, and the site hadn't been updating recently anyways.

Winter Soldier

29,915 Points
  • Together 'Til the End of the Line 500
  • Campaign Manager 500
  • Hiss of Love 200
FairieGodMother

TL;DR: Gaia ******** up by making Tekton take Tektek down and needs to rescind their cease and desist order against Tektek

This is incorrect. Gaia is well within their rights legally even moreso when Tekton decided to start advertising his own avatar site on there. This, along with the volume of work that he used (all of the items he catalogued) negates any claim to fair use that he had according to Title 17 Section 107. While I do agree that Gaia sorely needs to update their tagging this does not mean that they need to rescind their cease and desist. People are going to recolor.me due to their feelings about Gaia and that's perfectly valid however the fact that it was advertised on a catalog of Gaia's items is a bad business practice. This is very cut and dry.

Charitable Fairy

15,500 Points
  • Pet Lover 100
  • Nerd 50
  • Citizen 200
FairieGodMother

TL;DR: Gaia ******** up by making Tekton take Tektek down and needs to rescind their cease and desist order against Tektek

Triana Orpheus Venture

This is incorrect. Gaia is well within their rights legally even moreso when Tekton decided to start advertising his own avatar site on there. This, along with the volume of work that he used (all of the items he catalogued) negates any claim to fair use that he had according to Title 17 Section 107. While I do agree that Gaia sorely needs to update their tagging this does not mean that they need to rescind their cease and desist. People are going to recolor.me due to their feelings about Gaia and that's perfectly valid however the fact that it was advertised on a catalog of Gaia's items is a bad business practice. This is very cut and dry

Agreed that making his own avatar-based site was poor judgement, ethically, it was not really a bad business practice. He most likely saw that many people who have been on Gaia for both long and short amounts of time were fed up with Gaia's sometimes shady business practices (i.e. mass re-releasing donation items that were promised to never be re-released and were actually marketed as being "investments" for users), and saw an opportunity ripe for the pickings for a new site for these users to go to. I, for one, am not impressed with the images I saw of his site, and have no interest in it. If people are going there just to spite Gaia, that's their decision... and I wonder if they will actually stay there for very long?
Other avatar sites have advertised on Tektek, and I don't recall Gaia having a problem with it. In fact, I have seen plenty of adverts for IMVU right here on Gaia. So, Gaia knows of and has even taken advertising money from competing avatar sites.
As a side note (which does have relevancy to my point), I used to go on IMVU, and I have to say, back then, it was a much better alternative to Gaia as far as avi building was concerned. I quit after a few short years because their item base became too large to search through to find new items for my avi. It was frustrating and was no longer worth my time. That's how I feel Gaia will become if it no longer has a system in place to easily and quickly search for specific item criteria like the system that Tektek offered.

DYRL

That Gaia has tried to reason with Tekton is actually is news to me. I would very much like to know more about it.
Now that I have calmed down a bit, I would like to know the truth about both sides of the coin. If Gaia is interested in actual transparency, they should have been more detailed in their Admin announcement than what they posted. I found out about the C&D first when I went to Tektek to try to find the origin of an item (a feature Gaia does not offer when one looks at items in the MP). When I saw the letter Gaia sent Tekton, I was like emotion_0A0 and later came the Admin announcement stating that Tektek was being told to take down their site due to (basically) copyright infringement. That's it. That's all the info I have seen.
I believe I stated in my original post that I'm not really active in any part of Gaia other than my own avatar Dress Up these days (and have been for years because I just got sick of the "haters" and "White Knights" duking it out in SF, and said fights bleeding over into other forums). I come to Gaia to relax and escape the pressures of Real Life... so the last thing a high-strung person like myself needs is to read a bunch of fighting (because I feel compelled to jump in if it's something about which I feel passionate). I have enough fights in my real life to waste my energy fighting online with a bunch of strangers. I even feel a bit ashamed that I jumped into this one in a forum, but taking down Tektek does impact me directly.

Does anyone have record of where it is posted that Gaia has been trying to reason with Tekton over this before the C&D was sent? Does anyone have verifiable proof that Gaia acknowledged that Tektek was a valued service to the Gaian Userbase and wanted to keep the cataloging process going? I would very much like to see Gaia's side of this now that I've read posts by users that Gaia did due diligence before resorting to a C&D.

I just clicked on an ad for RecolorMe... and it wouldn't even allow me to tour the site unless I registered as a user, which I have no intent to do at this time. However, the images in the advert looked very... meh, at best, to me. I'm really not interested. This isn't the first avatar site to be spawned from a Gaia-based service, though. The Kingdom of Knuffle, an adoptables shop based here on Gaia where you could purchase feedable adoptables with gold, evolved into an avatar site. I joined, and was disappointed. Was there ever any action(s) on the part of Gaia filed against the KofK? Have other avatar sites spawned from Gaia-based mini shops or other user-run services based here on Gaia? Was any action on Gaia's part taken against any other avatar site in the past? I suppose these are the sorts of questions I should have asked before shooting my big mouth off emotion_facepalm

I do apologize for my outburst, but I stand by what I said about how crappy the search and catalog features on Gaia are for the avatar items. They really need to step up by assigning a staff meme er to be solely in charge of the items database, or hire a contracted outsider (like Tekton), to keep their item database cataloged with not only accurate search features, but also info on the origins of the items. Gaia should not just take for granted that members are going to do their work for them. There are users who are extremely generous with their time who post threads which not only catalog items from each RIG and new Cash Shop release, but also include direct links to the MP in said threads... but Gaia should not expect users to do this work for them. Also, these threads are all individually based on specific releases, so there is (to my knowledge) no central database offered on Gaia by either Staff or Users.

Gaia, with as big as the item database is and is growing practically every day, there needs to be a central database that may be used by all members to locate and find information about items with ease. Please let us know what you have planned to replace Tektek.

Divine Gatekeeper

14,675 Points
  • Battle: KO 200
  • Battle: Level Up 200
  • Battle: Counterstrike 150
Well i think Gaia is right at all, still i allways thought that tektek interface is way much better than gaia dressing room, i still think that is on porpouse... but thats other topic.

About tektek infringement... bad bussines from tekton, it is sad because tektek got a lot of potential but it was a matter of time to be taked down... it was obvious.

Hope people stop arguing or doing stupid things against Gaia, theres no free site, every e-bussiness needs money to exist, Gaia and other of its competitors are not the exception and sadly the system works like that. Everyone that do not agree, why don't you try to make your own site and try to maintain it without having something lucrative? Then we will sèe.

Witty Bibliophile

11,975 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Bookworm 100
  • Alchemy Level 2 100
As disgruntled as I am about Tektek's closure; I saw it coming the moment ads for recolor.me appeared on the site. Gaia's mostly about the money right now and whoever's in charge knows that users frequent tektek. Recolor.me ads equate to less income for Gaia, as small as it might be, and we all know that money is the most important thing to Gaia, at the moment.

Tektek's fallen to one of those things fansites are prone to. Companies are, for the most part, fine with fansites. After all, fansites are free promotion for your game or your product. However, the IP still belongs to the company and "technically" using copyrighted images is prohibited if the holder decides to press charges.

Winter Soldier

29,915 Points
  • Together 'Til the End of the Line 500
  • Campaign Manager 500
  • Hiss of Love 200
FairieGodMother

Agreed that making his own avatar-based site was poor judgement, ethically, it was not really a bad business practice. He most likely saw that many people who have been on Gaia for both long and short amounts of time were fed up with Gaia's sometimes shady business practices (i.e. mass re-releasing donation items that were promised to never be re-released and were actually marketed as being "investments" for users), and saw an opportunity ripe for the pickings for a new site for these users to go to. I, for one, am not impressed with the images I saw of his site, and have no interest in it. If people are going there just to spite Gaia, that's their decision... and I wonder if they will actually stay there for very long?
Other avatar sites have advertised on Tektek, and I don't recall Gaia having a problem with it. In fact, I have seen plenty of adverts for IMVU right here on Gaia. So, Gaia knows of and has even taken advertising money from competing avatar sites.
As a side note (which does have relevancy to my point), I used to go on IMVU, and I have to say, back then, it was a much better alternative to Gaia as far as avi building was concerned. I quit after a few short years because their item base became too large to search through to find new items for my avi. It was frustrating and was no longer worth my time. That's how I feel Gaia will become if it no longer has a system in place to easily and quickly search for specific item criteria like the system that Tektek offered.

That doesn't make it a good business practice. A good business practice would have been not taking advantage of the fact that Gaia let him run his fan site for so long. People say that Gaia was taking advantage of him but it ended as a two way street. Tekton used Gaia to advertise a place and while the reasoning behind people leaving is perfectly valid, the advertisements were still a very shady business practice. Bluealaris even said that in the staff update.

Re: IMVU advertising here. They pay for that advertising space. Tekton did not. That's another bad business practice right there. I'm sure if Gaia had gotten licensing revenue then this would not have been an issue. If the ads were right here on Gaia and paid for, this wouldn't be a topic here.

Niche Enthusiast

17,575 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • NPCon Fanatic 500
  • Hellraiser 500
FairieGodMother

I'm not sure if you're still interested but...

The Facts Of The Tektek Fiasco - Includes an FAQ!

It's a bit of a mess right now, but everything I can find about official word on the matter can be found here.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff