23,425 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Comrades in Arms 150
  • Dragon Master 50
Phoxa
Druddigon
Phoxa
Beau Bishop
Come to think of it... if they did this with tektek, doesn't it mean BetterGaia app is next? neutral

If they got rid of BG I'm seriously quitting.

Also my post to this thread.
Gaia can't handle a little competition it seems, screw tektek for wanting to make a living right? rolleyes This is dumb and I am very upset with Gaia. You know what would be a better solution or would have been...? Obviously tektek is a great thing and a lot of people love using it, what would have been great is if they hired him to implement it on gaia itself. But noooo why do that? I'm seriously outraged by this. Gaia isn't thinking they are probably going to lose some customers over this, is that really what they want? Do they REALLY want it to go down like this? (I'm not quitting but like I said if they got rid of BG then I am going to.) At least Tektek has respect. I'm honestly afraid to post this, but here I go!

The point is not that Gaia doesn't want competition or have tektek make a living, is that tektek did shot itself in the foot using Gaia's image to promote the creators own site. They are not in the wrong to ask for it to be taken down, it's just how the real world works.

If they hired him in the first place maybe he wouldn't have had to make his own site or wanted to. Many companies have competition, the companies just choose to try and make their products/sites better. And like I said Obviously a lot of people loved using tektek something that Gaia does not have on their site, which if the stuff on tektek was put on Gaia it would make the site better, am I wrong? I guess it's fair to Gaia but it's unfair to the community who uses tektek, if that makes sense? /:

Hiring him might have been a good idea, but it was too late once he made his own site. I do not think it's fair to shut it down as a whole for others, so we can only wait what deal Gaia and tektek come too at this point.

YubiYubii's Kouhai

Fluffy Fairy

• I think I will miss tektek.
          I used their rainbow colour maker in more than one way. It meant that I didn't have to go google some hex code colour wheel thingy whenever I wanted to make colours for post layouts.
          And I will miss the nicely labelled organisation that let me find items easily.
          Gaia's own dress up is annoying, I can never find things based on colour.
          -sigh-
          I just feel like gaia keeps losing features and getting new lame features, its like there is no zomg and now there is no tektek.
          Soon there will be nothing but forums and cash shop, it feels like.

I feel very sorry for tekton, he made such a useful feature that gaia never made.
          And then gaia, after like forever suddenly decides that want to get rid of him. Its just sad.
          I hope they try to replace it at least. But, gaia can't even let us organise inventory by colour....

Hellraiser

Since I'm too broke to make new avatars anymore, that was the thing I used the site mostly, my usage of Tektek has kinda plummeted - but do these news still sting like h*ll. Tektek is, or was, cool alright...

I kinda rushed through the admin note about this (persisting daily announcement flood has made me quite trigger-happy with clicking my way through them), but to make sure I'm not perceiving the situation completely wrong: Gaia's beef with Tektek are those RecolorMe ads?

My head is just not working now but... obviously there is too much legal issues of unknown stature behind this decision to call Tektek out of this horrendous jeopardization of dear Gaia's intellectual property.

Despite sort of wanting to understand Gaia's reasons to do this because they are sort of logical, the reason why I must resist urge to headdesk hard is that RecolorMe isn't exactly new anymore and these ads didn't happen yesterday. If this ever was pressing matter Gaia would have pressed it already long ago. Just... follow the money I guess?

Yet, how devastating damage couple of ads to tiny site like RM can do, on unoffical from-fans-for-fans resource site, either on Gaia's IP or profit, remains debatable. For that reason I'm struggling to take Gaia very seriously now.

DrejBringer's Waifu

Nine-tailed Pup

28,525 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Friendly 100
  • Generous 100
Druddigon
Phoxa
Druddigon
Phoxa
Beau Bishop
Come to think of it... if they did this with tektek, doesn't it mean BetterGaia app is next? neutral

If they got rid of BG I'm seriously quitting.

Also my post to this thread.
Gaia can't handle a little competition it seems, screw tektek for wanting to make a living right? rolleyes This is dumb and I am very upset with Gaia. You know what would be a better solution or would have been...? Obviously tektek is a great thing and a lot of people love using it, what would have been great is if they hired him to implement it on gaia itself. But noooo why do that? I'm seriously outraged by this. Gaia isn't thinking they are probably going to lose some customers over this, is that really what they want? Do they REALLY want it to go down like this? (I'm not quitting but like I said if they got rid of BG then I am going to.) At least Tektek has respect. I'm honestly afraid to post this, but here I go!

The point is not that Gaia doesn't want competition or have tektek make a living, is that tektek did shot itself in the foot using Gaia's image to promote the creators own site. They are not in the wrong to ask for it to be taken down, it's just how the real world works.

If they hired him in the first place maybe he wouldn't have had to make his own site or wanted to. Many companies have competition, the companies just choose to try and make their products/sites better. And like I said Obviously a lot of people loved using tektek something that Gaia does not have on their site, which if the stuff on tektek was put on Gaia it would make the site better, am I wrong? I guess it's fair to Gaia but it's unfair to the community who uses tektek, if that makes sense? /:

Hiring him might have been a good idea, but it was too late once he made his own site. I do not think it's fair to shut it down as a whole for others, so we can only wait what deal Gaia and tektek come too at this point.

I know it was too late which is sad, although I do use both sites and I like both sites so I guess I'm glad he did make his own site. redface

Stubborn Doll

16,175 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Generous 100
Sospel
Firstly, I think you should go check out Ridley's thread.

Secondly: Tektek contests can be changed with avatars made in the dressing room, and once the winner is selected they can ask for what the specific items are, OR, they can just be listed with the screenshot. More tedious but it still works.

Color code: Ridley's thread has a link to a text gradient generator, and you can find more simply by googling "text gradient generator" instead of complaining that the "easiest" way to do it has been removed.

Wishlist/Goldsaving: You can make a thread in the charity and keep track of it manually or do it in your signature with things such as "1B // LBP."

Solo poses: Look at it within the dressing room, OR right click on the icon to view just the icon.

And more. Frankly this thread seems like a lot of complaining that something inconveniences you. Gaia was well within their rights, and Tektek has the option to stay open should they take down their Recolor.Me advertisements which is more than fair. If he chooses to close the site instead of removing the ads, there is no one to blame but himself. You can't wander over legal boundaries and not expect action to be taken.

This is all well and good; and I admit that after reading the Staff Alert about this situation I do understand better where Gaia is coming from. If Tekton is using Gaia IP to promote his own site, then yeah, that's pretty shitty for him to do and legal action should be taken. My previous question about why this is happening now has been answered and I will not fault Gaia for their actions now that I have this new information. I stated in my previous post that this was never an issue of whether or not Gaia could do this and, now that I know the story behind the action, I am comfortable saying that it is no longer even an issue of whether or not they should do this.

However, I must disagree with your assessment that this thread is just everyone getting their various forms of underwear in a twist over an inconvenience. At least for me- since I can really only speak for myself- this is more about lamenting the loss of something that is/was very near and dear to me. I'm not whining about how hard life will be without tektek, because it won't be. I'm merely sad to watch an old friend's passing. Yes, everything that tektek offers can be found elsewhere, but tektek was our first. It was the place to be for avi generating and text formatting and wealth gauging. And even when it started to slip- as all fanmade things are want to do- it was still helpful, still relevant to a lot of people. Change is upsetting to a lot of people, especially when it's changing something that has been around for a decade; and for some of us- myself included- this means the demise of what got us into Gaia in the first place.

Sure, it won't be the end of the world if Tektek goes down. It probably would have died of natural causes soon enough anyway. But it can still be a very sad thing to watch it die. And I think that's what this thread is- or at least what it is meant to be: a place for people to share in the sadness. Yes, some people will turn to anger. Yes, some people will throw out legalese that they don't really understand. Yes, some people will miss the point that Tekton did something illegal. But please don't shame us for being upset. And that really goes out more to some of the other posters here than you, Sospel. You were fairly kind and tried to be very logical in your post, which I appreciate. I'm always in favor of civil discussion. But there are a lot of people out there basically just telling me to calm my tits and let it go... which I do not appreciate. I love tektek and hope that an agreement can be reached, but if things go south, then I will lose the one thing that kept me tied to Gaia for nine years. Let me be sad.

Feisty Investigator

28,450 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Cosmic Healer 200
This sucks, I have used Tektek since I started the site so it's truely an end of an era. I hope that Gaia will come out with something similar, but I learned not to get my hopes up after the Zomg security issues.

Artiistic's Significant Otter

Angelic Demigod

19,025 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Partygoer 500
  • Fantastic Fifteen 100
Goodnight everybody.

CrackedJewel's Fangirl

Naughty Nerd

If anything, i'm disgusted by TekTon's behaviour and reply to this. All he had to do, the one simple freaking thing, was stop advertising his awful dress up website. Gaia has been letting him do this for YEARS with no problems. They could have (and probably should have) asked him to take it down a long time ago.
When you start profiting off of someone else's business, that's when they have to say something.
And he STILL has a banner on TekTek, even if the website and content itself is taken down.
It's kind of just screaming immaturity to me.

The Frogger's Pardner

Man-Hungry Pirate

15,025 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Team Edward 100
  • Sausage Fest 200
.~[Misty.Muffin]~.
his awful dress up website.

No.

I say ******** keep advertising Recolor on the husk that is Tektek now because it's his site. Hell, just remove all the stupid gaia crap and insert links to just Recolor.

CrackedJewel's Fangirl

Naughty Nerd

Sinsario
.~[Misty.Muffin]~.
his awful dress up website.

No.

I say ******** keep advertising Recolor on the husk that is Tektek now because it's his site. Hell, just remove all the stupid gaia crap and insert links to just Recolor.
Your sig says bye so I'm not even sure why you're still posting?

And this replies to very little of my actual post.
Tektek was going downhill in the first place.
TekTon's response to this is very "OMG LOOK WHAT THEY'RE DOING TO ME COME TO MY WEBSITE SUPPORT ME."
Gaia seems very willing to negotiate, and I have no doubt that negotiation is just "please stop advertising to another website."
I've heard TekTon has been wanting to close tektek anyways, and this s a great excuse for it. He's been neglecting the site for his own anyways, so this is probably for the best.
Hopefully Gaia can make a better dream avatar site, or someone else will, that we can rely on.

The Frogger's Pardner

Man-Hungry Pirate

15,025 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Team Edward 100
  • Sausage Fest 200
.~[Misty.Muffin]~.
Your sig says bye so I'm not even sure why you're still posting?

I come by whenever there's dumb s**t to behold so here I am. (Or friends tell me to look at something.)

And I was really just replying to that tiny bit of your post, yeah.
However yes, this way he gets drama attention that can be blamed on Gaia rather than what would happen if he decided to shut it down himself. I think a bit of a shits storm would happen either way?

I wonder how well Gaia could keep up a dream avatar site, since they seem to give up on a lot of things. But! I suppose just dream avatar is a lot less effort than some of the things they stopped doing. (None of which I can remember right now other than zOMG. But zOMG was huge so it'd be unfair)

I don't trust the negotiation being so simple? Then again, I do have bias.

Heart Tamer

Gaia should have at least worked on fixing the abomination that is their item tagging/search functions and given the dressing room an overhaul before sending that C&D. I think that would have lessened the impact of losing TekTek, although that site has been pretty stagnant for a long time now (I imagine keeping up with all the new releases can get overwhelming). I'm pretty indifferent to this but I do think they need to divert more resources into making Gaia's dressing room and item searches easier to use and more robust. You can't even find specific items on Gaia or get all the proper results if you search by color. The entire thing is a ********.

Valiant Gentlewoman

31,575 Points
  • Haunted Haute Couture: Avant Garde 200
  • SpoOOokie Cookie Camp Trickster 100
  • Egg Hunt Master 250
this stinks though. It was fun while it lasted. I used to go on tek tek whenever I got bored and made avatars for fun.

Mortalitasi's Compadre

Bashful Drummer

21,765 Points
  • Toy Mouse 50
  • Candy Fiend 150
  • Timid 100
I can just imagine how Veronica felt as she was typing that

Either
"Hehehe I'm taking away the greatest resource to everyone on Gaia!! Watch the storm come."

Or
"******** I really don't want to do this but my boss is making me. Sigh. Puts on face-mask and prepares self."

Expansionist's Significant Otter

Green Fairy

.~[Misty.Muffin]~.
If anything, i'm disgusted by TekTon's behaviour and reply to this. All he had to do, the one simple freaking thing, was stop advertising his awful dress up website. Gaia has been letting him do this for YEARS with no problems. They could have (and probably should have) asked him to take it down a long time ago.
When you start profiting off of someone else's business, that's when they have to say something.
And he STILL has a banner on TekTek, even if the website and content itself is taken down.
It's kind of just screaming immaturity to me.

When you say that Gaia has been letting him do this for years, do you understand that Gaia has been profiting off of his volunteer labor for those same years? Are you upset because you think Tekton has stolen Gaia's intelectual property, or that it looks like TekTek won't be around for you to use any longer? Gaia has been profiting off of Tekton for years, he's been volunteering his TekTek services to Gaia for years and has always had advertisements on the site as a way to keep it up and running. Gaia didn't pay him for the years he spent building TekTek or the business he sent Gaia's way.

I understand Gaia's stance on this but there is no reason to be disgusted by Tekton's behavior. Why should he quit advertising his own dress up forum on his own website?

Gaia has every right to ask him to remove Gaia content from the website, I'm not disputing that at all. It's the way they are doing it that just seems kind of slimy to me. Gaia has known about his site for a very long time and has actually endorsed it's use for almost as long. They have never paid him for any work he has done on his site nor have they paid him to keep TekTek up and running but they have been leeching off of his superior search functionality for years.

Gaia has made some unpopular decisions recently that have led to users boycotting GC and/or leaving the site for something else entirely. It sounds like they are feeling threatened and looking for scapegoats and TekTek is it. Instead of slaving away to update something that in essence belongs to Gaia, Tekton decided to take time to create something of his own. It must be pretty good if it is scaring Gaia so much.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff