Welcome to Gaia! ::

Giygasm's King

Demonic Sweetheart

16,550 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Cool Cat 500
I'm a little more pleased with Gaia for these items, but I'm still pissed about being targeted by the mods for being an outspoken LGBT person a while ago. EDIT: Aaand the targeting has started once again. cat_stare

As for the issue about straight pride flags/white history month, I have no problem with those ideas as long as you're not trying to be superior over others. The same goes for non-whites. It's only equal to have one for everyone, otherwise nobody gets one.

EDIT: After some searching, I've found some straight pride flags:

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Unfortunately they're more likely to be used for anti-LGBTQ purposes because people are jackasses.

Stellar Succubus

Great! Except my flag clips through my wings, sadly!

If it offends someone, they need to reassess their worldview. Really, truly. Thats all I really have to say about that point.

And theres definitely room if theyve left anyone out, to add more flags!

I do worry though. My preference can be divisive, ironically. We cop it from within the community and outside it similarly, and some will try to suggest we do not exist, or that other preferences apply to us... so Im hoping if I wear my flag, that people wont assume things about me that arent true and attempt to `reeducate` me.

Program_Virus's Husband

Manly Wife

Many will get offended and possibly rage at Gaia cause not many even support those lovely sexuality.
But hey, I'm happy Gaia is showing support. Glad they're stating so by the flags and not just by their diverse NPCS ^_^

I'm obviously s**t a** happy since they included gender queer ♥but I'm wondering if they will maybe add more flags, you know? To please more diverse users and so they aren't left out sweatdrop

Stellar Succubus

Super 9-Volt

As for the issue about straight pride flags/white history month, I have no problem with those ideas as long as you're not trying to be superior over others. The same goes for non-whites. It's only equal to have one for everyone, otherwise nobody gets one.

A lot of this really is probably preaching to the converted, so its not directed at you specifically because I dont want you to think Im telling you something you probably already are well aware of! Rather its my commentary on concerns that there is no straight pride flag present.

While I agree that it would be fine with me to have a straight pride flag set on Gaia, straight identified folks dont need to show pride in the same way or for the same reasons people under the LGBTQIA rainbow do, because straight folks are already seen as normal,and are accepted by society at large. <albeit derided by some in the LGBTQIA community, mainly because they have a level of acceptance of their identity that they can freely take as granted without having to work for that acceptance. I can understand the derision comes from a place of recognition that things are inequal and unfair, and dealing with that constant inequality doesnt do wonders for a persons morale.>

pride exists for LGBTQIA identities, because unlike straight identity, LGBTQI folks have been persecuted in very harsh ways historically, and are still today, laws <not just marriage laws> are inequal in many countries and there are still many countries in the world where being anything but straight will have you cast out from your religion, put in jail, or executed. Being straight is not a crime or a religious offense anywhere in the world.

Straight folks can be as proud as they like and that is totally fine! But they dont need to prove that their straight identity is okay and acceptable and that theyre proud of it publicly, because it already is okay and acceptable! It is not dangerous to show how proud they are of being straight, whereas it is still very dangerous for people under the rainbow. Showing public pride in LGBTQIA identity shows other people who are questioning, or are isolated in their identity, that there are other people just like them, that it is okay to be who they are, and that there is a group of people who may understand and support them in what they are experiencing because they have too.

This is why pride exists in the form that it does for glbtqi folks, and not for straight folks. The same goes for black history month etc. Its for people to commune under shared and similar experiences and support around areas and issues in which they are treated unfairly and unjustly, sometimes dangerously and violently!

Im glad as hell that gaia has given us these flags, for many identities under the spectrum! I hope they havent missed any identities, and I hope they listen if those with identities missed speak up and put forward why they would like their flags made!

I have no issue with straight folks, and I have no issue with them being proud of their identity, being happy in ones own identity is fantastic! So Im okay with gaia releasing a straight pride flag set. It doesnt offend me because straight people and straight pride does not offend me, but I do see it as unnecessary for the reasons I have outlined.

NB, the bolding is for emphasis, not yelling. My style of activism is one of quiet education rather than screaming at people to listen <although its a style choice and not a condemnation of the latter... 3nodding >

Miss Lapine's Queen

Solar Lunatic

20,475 Points
  • New Fan 50
  • Regular Attendee 100
  • Fan Before It Was Cool 500
I think they're great, though all the whining from heteros about not getting their own flag is super annoying.

Stellar Succubus

Glitched Existence

Aye, and some do span more than one or two identities, so itd be cool to be able to sport a couple for those folks!

Girl-Crazy Ladykiller

User ImageUser Image

「 ☠ ) ⇣《 ♕ ! Phoebe Pallas ♕™xxxxxxx███████ && ↘↘↘

Quest Thread Work in progress

I support it completely. Then again, I am homogay, so it makes sense. But yeah, it's great.

I am just glad it's not a cash shop item

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx...αѕ уσυ ωιѕн.

lαyoυт вy jeɴɴαlαια
є∂ιтѕ мα∂є вy мє

Miss Lapine's Queen

Solar Lunatic

20,475 Points
  • New Fan 50
  • Regular Attendee 100
  • Fan Before It Was Cool 500
Phoebe Pallas

Would've been more than annoyed if they were cash shop only :/

Girl-Crazy Ladykiller

Aradiane
Phoebe Pallas

Would've been more than annoyed if they were cash shop only :/

User ImageUser Image

「 ☠ ) ⇣《 ♕ ! Phoebe Pallas ♕™xxxxxxx███████ && ↘↘↘

Quest Thread Work in progress

Yeah, I suppose annoyed is an understatement. They would get so much hate. - But there is enough people here to keep it going.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx...αѕ уσυ ωιѕн.

lαyoυт вy jeɴɴαlαια
є∂ιтѕ мα∂є вy мє

Girl-Crazy Bunny

10,500 Points
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
I'm really happy about it. I mean, they have a pretty large variety AND are not charging gaia cash for them. When my girlfriend/gaia wife told me about them, I went right to the cash shop because that's where I expected it. I was pleasantly surprised that wasn't the case. ^^

Program_Virus's Husband

Manly Wife

VVhip
Glitched Existence

Aye, and some do span more than one or two identities, so itd be cool to be able to sport a couple for those folks!
think Gaia needs to add more arms to hold these flags cause two arms aren't working lol
I'm not fully aware of the flags yet, but ive met people who identify as different identity aside from the bi/pan/asexual group
and seeing they don't exactly have a flag yet makes me sad...they deserve one too q u q

Stellar Succubus

sterek

Word to that, from one unicorn Mythological creature to another! <Oh hey, I realised I use the term unicorn very differently... I mean it to be fantastic magical creatures who allegedly do not exist, not the other type that isnt such a nice thing! Obviously, since I wouldnt call myself one either! redface I hope I didnt bother you or anyone else with that mistake! I am not totally up to scratch since I have used this term to refer kindly to others who also suffer with invisibility and `nonexistence`, because unicorns are really amazing and so are those with invisible identities. sweatdrop >

It is good to be able to represent my identity from time to time, because it is one of those ones that is seen as non existent at times, and Im all for inclusiveness!

I absolutely agree on the cultural identity flags too, I suppose within the realms of what is and is not sacred to those cultures! If they had an Australian flag, I would want one... OTL

Fashionable Gaian

Diosu

Wow! I'm happy for her. The power of media and internet.
VVhip

I have no issue with straight folks, and I have no issue with them being proud of their identity, being happy in ones own identity is fantastic! So Im okay with gaia releasing a straight pride flag set. It doesnt offend me because straight people and straight pride does not offend me, but I do see it as unnecessary for the reasons I have outlined.
I keep thinking pride was a poor word to pick when using to describe these movements.

Distrustful Scamp

30,875 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Astral Veteran 100
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
Personally I really love these flags. I felt a bit invisible and then going through these threads and seeing so many ace flags just makes me so happy.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff