Welcome to Gaia! ::

HalIows's Wife

Girl-Crazy Wife

The Owl in The Cowl
Throttle Kitty

Yeah. I break out into cold sweat every time I see that sort of news from other countries shows up. I just fear so much for the safety of the folks like us out there. I wish we were safe, but sadly that isn't the case.

Oh. Oh no. That's terrible. I'm so sorry that you have to cope with so much fear on a regular basis. I hope for your safety. *hugs* I wish everyone would just quit being so horrid and accept you. And the thing about the PDA is just... scary. And wrong. I actually feel ill at the thought of what you have to go through. I wish I had the right words to make you feel a bit better, but I'm afraid this is a problem I have little understanding of.

And I'm glad the the representation brings you joy. You certainly deserve every last bit of it. c:

Yeah, I remember actually being brought to tears by a story a read about a transgirl in jamica who was beaten and killed by a huge group of people at a music festival when they found her out, and the police openly didn't even make an attempt to find the culprit... I go to music festivals all the time.... v.v

I resort to pretending I'm not trans most of the time, and hiding it just because I'm not brave enough to face all that head on. cat_sweatdrop I'm a very skittish, shy person as is...

Rare

Baja
hornworts
are people itt advocating for "straight pride" when it's basically the same thing as white pride
I see no problem with a straight pride flag. Theres nothing wrong with being straight either. If they want to be straight and proud, let them. 3nodding

Yes but in the context of queer pride, which is used to show support for being a minority, straight pride acts as a near violent statement, seeing as most crimes and discrimination against queer people are largely perpetrated by straight people.

Straight people are celebrated as the norm throughout the world. They don't need a flag or pride when our society congratulates them enough already.

Unstoppable Hoarder

hornworts
Baja
hornworts
are people itt advocating for "straight pride" when it's basically the same thing as white pride
I see no problem with a straight pride flag. Theres nothing wrong with being straight either. If they want to be straight and proud, let them. 3nodding

Yes but in the context of queer pride, which is used to show support for being a minority, straight pride acts as a near violent statement, seeing as most crimes and discrimination against queer people are largely perpetrated by straight people.

Straight people are celebrated as the norm throughout the world. They don't need a flag or pride when our society congratulates them enough already.
But aren't straight people becoming the minority?

Edit:: Or maybe instead of Straight pride thre could be a "I'm straight but I'm a supporter" pride? Something that doesn't liike like their running around going Straight Power!

Rare

Baja
hornworts
Baja
hornworts

No. I don't think anywhere are queer people becoming a majority, regardless of how loud we are.

Unstoppable Hoarder

hornworts
Baja
hornworts
Baja
hornworts

No. I don't think anywhere are queer people becoming a majority, regardless of how loud we are.
Then you need to come to Georgia. sweatdrop
They're starting to outnumber the rednecks.

Fashionable Entrepreneur

hornworts
Baja
hornworts
Baja
hornworts

Maybe on tumblr xD

Fashionable Entrepreneur

Baja
hornworts
Baja
hornworts
Baja
hornworts

For every person that does not identify as straight, there are literally 8-10 straight people...

Rare

Calelith
extreme hyperbole
Calelith

you have the power to walk away, and that's the thing
            you can log out of tumblr, and out of gaia, and out of every place where you feel harassed.
            you have that ability, and if you do that you will not feel oppressed because everywhere else, cisgendered heterosexual people are accepted

the queer community as a whole does not have that power
            we cling to the places like gaia and tumblr where we can say s**t like this because it's the only place we can say s**t like this
            we are so goddamn salty towards the cisgendered heterosexuals because of the years upon years of harassment, prejudice, and hate crimes.
            and i'mreally notsorry that you're offended that the straights don't get a flag.
            but you really don't need one.
            you just want one because the queer community has one.

"Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!"

Yet there are people, who aren't LGBT, getting attacked and threatened all because they have the gall to march with the LGBT because it's THEIR parade not some cisgendered heterosexual's parade.

I had a friend get told that he needs to be raped, violently I might add, if he wants to support the LGBT community and until he does he won't understand their plight nor can he march with his friends/family.

So you've been harassed, so you've faced prejudice, so you've had hate crimes committed against you that does not mean not mean those that are white/straight haven't suffered those some problems and have been dealing with it for years.

Hell, someone on the LGBT side criticized someone in the SF and basically told them to man up because they were put down by their sister's friends for years all because he was straight and white. How is that any different then what the LGBT community deals with on a daily basis? And don't say it's not the same, because it is.

Don't give me that whole I'm sorry crap, because I know you're not, even without seeing the white text you hide within your post.

No, there are some that would at least appreciate one for equality.

The thing is it's not just heterosexuals that got left out, demisexuals and sapiosexual were also left out when it comes to the pride flags.

"Ph’nglui mglw’nafh Cthulhu R’lyeh wgah’nagl fhtagn."

The whole problem is that you shouldn't want to have a "straight pride flag" or straight pride in general for "equality"-- queer people do not want to have the same power to oppress that straight people possess and exercise. The flags of pride are a symbol of the movement of liberation from oppression through normalizing and vocalization through pride. Straight people don't need a flag because they don't need liberation from oppression.

Unfortunately demisexuals are grouped under the umbrella of asexual and aromantic ( sad ) but "sapiosexual" as a concept has been shown to be racist and classist. "Sapiosexuals" also aren't oppressed.

Friendly Mage

Now all of China will know how queer I am
once I figure out how to make the flag work

I also like how nice they look! They're not overly pixelated or anything! I definitely want to try to make an avatar to go along with them (:

Questionable Citizen

Throttle Kitty

Yeah, I remember actually being brought to tears by a story a read about a transgirl in jamica who was beaten and killed by a huge group of people at a music festival when they found her out, and the police openly didn't even make an attempt to find the culprit... I go to music festivals all the time.... v.v

I resort to pretending I'm not trans most of the time, and hiding it just because I'm not brave enough to face all that head on. cat_sweatdrop I'm a very skittish, shy person as is...

That is just horrible. The poor girl. Why do people keep hurting girls like you? I really fear for your safety. I wish people were kinder to you. ; n ;

That's unfortunate. It's a pity that you have to hide your identity, but I can't fault you for it. The world isn't safe enough for you yet. And I'd rather you stay out of harms way. I understand what you mean though, since I'm quite shy and jittery myself. I've only come out to a few people so far, but I feel like things might not be as easy for you. o n o *hugs*

Stubborn Doll

16,175 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Generous 100
Damn, there are some circular arguments going on in this thread. No progress is being made as far as I can tell, and I'm a little exhausted from just having read through all of that. I need a drink and a nap!

Anyway, I like the flags. Personally, I would have liked something a little less tacky than a tapestry (at least let me make the damn pole it's hanging from silver) but it works. It's a gesture. And most importantly it's just the beginning. Gaia never does everything to completion all in one go. This trend will grow and grow until we have just as many "pride" and "identifying" items as we do mods to give you cleavage. And it will be just as beautiful. If you feel left out now because the flags didn't represent you (and this goes for straight and other LGBTQ letters alike), know that your day will come.

As a cis/mostly-het (there's no good term for someone who's a 1 on the Kinsey scale) person, I think it is a bit silly for there to be a straight and/or cis flag. We do kind of get a pride day everyday; and we certainly don't need it. But you know what? It's not that big of a deal. Letting them/us? have a flag isn't going to actually hurt anyone unless Gaia is completely stupid and puts a swastika on the damn thing. If people try to use it as a hate tactic and a means to oppress others, then they can be banned, just like any a*****e who tries that s**t. Me just being white/middleclass/cis/mostly-het isn't oppressing others (which would suck if it was, since many of those things I can't change). Me using those qualities to make life s**t for minorities, on the other hand, would be. There is a difference! It's slight, and easy to overlook, but it's there.

I am a tolerant and accepting person. I have friends all across the various spectrums. I want to support a world where everyone is equal and no one is shamed for who they are. No one should have to face the oppression that LGBTQA+ groups have faced- and they have faced so very very much. That said, I don't support assholes- no matter which side they are on. Even if asking for a cishet flag can be seen as silly and completely missing the point- the sheer and utter venom and animosity that this thread has garnered from both sides is just... it's a thousand times more stupid. Please, can we just attempt to get along? Just this ******** once? For posterity's sake? Teach if you want to teach. By all means, spread the good word! But can everyone just lay the ******** off of everyone else? Hate breeds hate and that is the last that anyone in either camp needs.

Besides, the most important flag is missing. Where the hell is my BDSM/Leather pride flag? It's so pretty! Look at how pretty it is! With that adorable little heart in the corner... aww. Or, they could at least slap a triskelion on some of the items. I mean, there's already a s**t ton of kinky items on here, why not go the full 9 yards and start admitting to what it is? We all know, Gaia. Let's call a spade a spade here./sarcasm/ I totes know and accept why there is no BDSM flag on a PG13 site. Please don't lecture me on that.

Fashionable Entrepreneur

PH0ENIX D0WN
AlexLyre
DYRL
Last time I checked you don't get fired for being Gay
Calelith
extreme hyperbole
Calelith

But it has been used to oppress.
confused

you are not oppressed
            you are cisgendered and heterosexual
            you have privilege up the wazoo
            the queer population has been oppressed for centuries by the cisgendered heterosexuals (since that's apparently the only way you'll respond to that term)
            there is no way that you are oppressed because you know what?
            at the end of the day, outside of tumblr, there will still be millions of people confirming that queers are satan, the straight and cis is the real way, that queer people are medical abominations and are just attention seeking with their awful labels
            you hold the socioeconomic superiority and the queer people do not
            and in that way you cannot be oppressed
            you aren't oppressed you really ******** aren't
            and i'm sorry that you can't see that through your martyr complex

honestly this is like a white child screaming "i got called cracker in the seventh grade so reverse-racism is real and white people are being oppressed"
            no it ******** isn't because despite the fact that you had a non-slur used against you there are brutal hate crimes perpetrated against people of colour hourly

You just proved my point with this post right here.

Actually it is legal to get fired for being gay in much of the world. In America, at least, it is legal to be fired for JUST being gay and no other reason in 29 states; more than half.

Slightly off topic, I guess. But, you can get fired for anything or for absolutely nothing. Just look at Employment-At-Will. I live in a state with that and it's horrible.

Actually, federal laws protect you from being fired based on race, gender or disability.

Krule Keke's Significant Otter

Apocalyptic Rogue

41,915 Points
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Abomination 100
  • Demonic Associate 100
hornworts

The whole problem is that you shouldn't want to have a "straight pride flag" or straight pride in general for "equality"-- queer people do not want to have the same power to oppress that straight people possess and exercise. The flags of pride are a symbol of the movement of liberation from oppression through normalizing and vocalization through pride. Straight people don't need a flag because they don't need liberation from oppression.

Unfortunately demisexuals are grouped under the umbrella of asexual and aromantic ( sad ) but "sapiosexual" as a concept has been shown to be racist and classist. "Sapiosexuals" also aren't oppressed.

That doesn't change that the equality issue is still there. The heterosexuals, Demisexuals, and Sapiosexuals (regardless of how it's seen) are not being represented and that's wrong.

Give it a number of years and heterosexuals might become the minority. Will that finally be enough for them to earn the right to have a pride flag?

I'm being serious, I really want to know.

Unstoppable Hoarder

AlexLyre
Baja
hornworts
Baja
hornworts

For every person that does not identify as straight, there are literally 8-10 straight people...
Trying to not get into some arguement about this. Plus, I'm guessingthese are hard core statistics and not just you literaly guessing.

I'm just saying that straight eople can be proud also. What if it were the other way around? What if straight people had to fight for marriage, and hide themselves for fear of something happening to them? What if 'gay' were the norm, and Gaia put out straight pride flags, but no gay pride ones? Would peopel still be saying it doesn't matter? Does it only not matter because it doesn't apply to you?

Heart Tamer

Baja
hornworts
Baja
hornworts

Edit:: Or maybe instead of Straight pride thre could be a "I'm straight but I'm a supporter" pride? Something that doesn't liike like their running around going Straight Power!

You're not seeing an increase in prevalence, rather a more vocal and visible push for rights/representation. The social ramifications of coming out have been lessening and the Internet has made it easier for the marginalized to voice their concerns and organize. People tend to severely overestimate the number of individuals who aren't straight & cisgender. It's a VERY small percentage of the population, and you will never see a world where straight cisgender people are outnumbered. There were just as many people with differing gender and sexual orientations 100 years ago, it's just that back then, it had to be kept a secret lest you face the wrath of incensed communities looking to burn you at the stake. Homosexuality was once classified as a mental disorder for example, but as we've advanced and studied in the sciences, it has become much more clear and we're able to better understand individuals. Even with hard scientific data, some refuse to accept that attraction isn't a choice or that gender dysphoria is a real thing.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff