Welcome to Gaia! ::

Seeker

I've been around since 2005, and the highlight of my time on this site is when I sit down to enjoy a good old holiday or seasonal event. However, I notice more and more that I can't actually take part in events anymore due to the prevalence of goldsinks as part of the "festivities". Having never paid money for GC or gold generators, and never desiring to play the market to make windfalls of cash, I have never had 50mil, let alone the 100mil required to receive even the first human item on these "donation lists". Why is this okay? Am I really just the most broke person on Gaia, or does anyone else feel bummed that they can't take part in events anymore without paying outrageous sums of gold simply because someone else inflated the market? Are the people that aren't responsible for the inflation getting the crap-end of the stick? Should Gaia make more events that don't require massive gold donations?

O.G. Codger

20,150 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Bloodsucking Bros 250
  • Battle Hardened 150
All the events have become awful fighting events too where you have to pay GC for boosts or quick reload time. And then everyone complains when there is any level of difficulty. It's disgusting.

And to be fair, the donation items you get usually aren't that great. In fact, you could probably set up a donation board in the proper forum to get them for free. A lot of people just want the achievements and not the prizes.

clarion's King

Super Model

It has been freemium for a while now. But yeah, the distance between both types of users is staggeringly far apart and efforts to close that gap are mediocre at best. There's virtually zero balance at the moment and if I wasn't a cash user, I'd be pretty depressed on Gaia.

Inquisitive Kitten

26,050 Points
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Partygoer 500
I don't participate in the holiday forum fighting events at all.
It's impossible to do them if you have a job or family to take care of, or unless you simply never sleep, or just pay your way through.

Invisible Gekko

18,700 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Overstocked 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Does spending money make things a lot easier? Of course, it's always been like that in almost everything.
But do you have to pay to post in forums or play games or change your avatar? No

So Gaia is not a Pay to Pay website :/

It sucks they have a "minimum" amount of gold to donate. It's stupid, a donation is a donation. However, the goldsink isn't the event, you don't really have to donate to partake in. Would be nice to have the stuff that comes with it? Sure, but Gaia likes to throw freebies during the actual event.s

Special Snowflake

It's not quite pay-to-play yet. You can still get a lot of things for free, some of it really good stuff. Not to mention you can trade out event items for gold... there are still some ways to make gold/ get items free, but I'll admit it's a lot harder to do for free now.

Divine Muse

For three weeks now I haven't spent a dime on Gaia and I still have full access to the site. I am not barred from any part of the site other than the area designated for Mods/Admin.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Gaia isn't an MMO, Items don't give us Stats, in fact we don't even have stat's. there is no "Winning" gaia as Gaia is a chat forum with dress up dolls.

Kid-Jak-A-Lynn's Husband

Diamond Diamond

42,050 Points
  • Glacial Champion 350
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Battle: Level 10 250
Jayce Reinhardt
For three weeks now I haven't spent a dime on Gaia and I still have full access to the site. I am not barred from any part of the site other than the area designated for Mods/Admin.

Gaia isn't an MMO, there is no "Winning" gaia as Gaia is a chat forum with dress up dolls.

This so much this

no monthly fee no charge per post Gaia gives you option to take part in events that you can compete in without paying.

hmm maybe I am just doing it wrong, Maybe I am just not a Winner.

Krule Keke's Significant Otter

Apocalyptic Rogue

41,915 Points
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Abomination 100
  • Demonic Associate 100
"Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!"

Until you have to pay to post/log in, this site isn't Pay to Play.

"Ph’nglui mglw’nafh Cthulhu R’lyeh wgah’nagl fhtagn."

Divine Muse

Kid Jak
Jayce Reinhardt

Gaia isn't an MMO, there is no "Winning" gaia as Gaia is a chat forum with dress up dolls.

This so much this

no monthly fee no charge per post Gaia gives you option to take part in events that you can compete in without paying.

hmm maybe I am just doing it wrong, Maybe I am just not a Winner.

Pttthh, don't try and use your fishy ways with me my friend. talk2hand

Kid-Jak-A-Lynn's Husband

Diamond Diamond

42,050 Points
  • Glacial Champion 350
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Battle: Level 10 250
Jayce Reinhardt

Pttthh, don't try and use your fishy ways with me my friend. talk2hand

But I Must win this Mmmmmoooooooooo Gaia forums thing I must crying

Business Businesswoman

For the longest time after my recent return, I didn't understand what those brown Tier bars were. I finally collected enough GC from videos to buy something for 99GC and I finally see some progress on the bar. But I know I would never be able to make it to any sort of tier without actually spending cash (which I never will).

That mechanic definitely makes it feel like it's Pay to Play, but other than that, I still believe there's a lot of good free stuff. Right now, I'm just enjoying the daily rewards I get. I've been having a great amount of luck with GoFusion charms. I really like the items they released for it so far.

Flint Jakobs's Compadre

Feral Faun

Calelith

ugh for sure

I mean I went on hiatus for a few months due to work

guess what I can still access the site

Lucky Wrangler

dramallama

idek even

you had to pay for your computer
you had to pay for your internet

y u expect things to be free after that?
are you giving s**t away for free to whiny strangers on the internet?

life is pay to play.

Fashionable Noob

11,625 Points
  • Pet Lover 100
  • Waffles! 25
  • Cat Fancier 100
Slick Southpaw
Calelith

ugh for sure

I mean I went on hiatus for a few months due to work

guess what I can still access the site

inorite~ I didn't have to pay fifteen buck to reactivate my account like I did for WoW. I'm not denied access to items because I don't subscribe. Anything on the site is purchasable by gold. Yes, they may be harder to obtain, but I'll bet you there are people on this site who haven't paid a dime in years but still have Angelic Halos.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff