Welcome to Gaia! ::

Garbage

I AM R U
Cassidy Peterson
I AM R U
Anyone please feel free to correct me, but this sounds like an American issue - nobody here is ridiculous enough to suggest atheists shouldn't get to have religious holidays off to spend time with their families. For another thing, how and why would anyone you work with know what your religion is?!
Oh, no, the issue wasn't about having time off work, the issue was atheists daring to actually do something on Christmas/Easter that only Christians are supposed to do!

'Cause, y'know, visiting family for the purpose of stuffing your face with candy and ham is totally forbidden to non-Christians lol

But...but...show me the logic?!
"Atheists shouldn't do Christian things because they're not Christian" and ignoring the corporate/social/etc aspects of Christmas and Easter or the concept of atheists respecting the beliefs of their religious relatives.

Savage Fairy

13,250 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Super Tipsy 200
Cassidy Peterson
I AM R U
Cassidy Peterson
I AM R U
Anyone please feel free to correct me, but this sounds like an American issue - nobody here is ridiculous enough to suggest atheists shouldn't get to have religious holidays off to spend time with their families. For another thing, how and why would anyone you work with know what your religion is?!
Oh, no, the issue wasn't about having time off work, the issue was atheists daring to actually do something on Christmas/Easter that only Christians are supposed to do!

'Cause, y'know, visiting family for the purpose of stuffing your face with candy and ham is totally forbidden to non-Christians lol

But...but...show me the logic?!
"Atheists shouldn't do Christian things because they're not Christian" and ignoring the corporate/social/etc aspects of Christmas and Easter or the concept of atheists respecting the beliefs of their religious relatives.

Oh, right, because non-Christians equal the embodiment of Satan and are clearly (obviously!) incapable of familial love and respect of others' traditions?

Garbage

I AM R U
Oh, right, because non-Christians equal the embodiment of Satan and are clearly (obviously!) incapable of familial love and respect of others' traditions?
Pret-ty much! 3nodding

Opinionated Lunatic

17,075 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Cart Raider 100
psycheduck
nitznitz
Michael Noire
Michael Noire
I do find it an amusing idea to make it illegal to provide atheists with holidays, but expanding that, perhaps they should be banned from fireworks purchases related to holidays, banned from purchasing holiday themed discount products or movies, and while we are at it, we could put a microchip in their right hand or forehead to track their locations and lock them out of facilities with religious themes or purchases, such as hospitals, charities, or costume stores. neutral

After reading that, I think I'm going to be sick.

What disturbs me further is the notion that people could support such efforts against each other for ideological reasons.

What a baby.

Oh, you mean you're not used to people wishing you were dead just because you don't follow you're exact way of life?

What a sheltered baby.

Even if someone is used to the idea of one being persecuted for their beliefs (or disbelief, in this case) doesn't mean that the concept of advanced and socially acceptable persecution can't be thought to be horrifying. I'm familiar with the concept of people being sadistically tormented, improperly treated, or ostracized from communities for outspoken beliefs, but I still shudder thinking that somewhere in Africa, a witch doctor could right now be murdering her son who has an unknown medical illness because she thought he was possessed by a demon or something (and I realize that could happen in any part of the world, I'm just using it as an example).

You're probably well-informed of the atrocities committed in Nazi Germany, right? Would it not disturb you, as a Jewish-American in that time period, to learn about what was going on there, even if you were far removed from Germany itself? You, yourself, your loved ones, everyone you knew were all safe and sound in America, and you already knew that Germany was headed toward a fascist state from reading the paper. But would it not still sicken you to know that a civil government, which is supposed to protect the rights of their citizens, were hauling off innocent civilians to internment camps and executing them, all for being born in the wrong place at the wrong time?

Sure, the comparison is a little extreme from barring atheists from participating in festivities they don't believe in, but a civil government must be secular, that does not giving one group of people status over another because they align to a particular belief system, because of who they happened to be. You realize you are talking about laws that would prevent me from going to Loyola Hospital in an emergency because it's a Christian hospital? That's insane, and also may even violate what theists want in the first place. If theists don't want atheists on their private property, that's fine, but they need to ask them first or else they will have the police remove them for trespassing. Imagine though that keeping them away from theists would be the normal thing. It's rightfully sickening because it would change the social sphere. The ideology that our government should intervene in religion is still a thing, and passing such laws would aggravate that notion. Just a couple weeks ago I was driving in Indiana and I passed a billboard that said "If you don't drive with Jesus, you're taking the risk of being alone on the road." That's freaky dude. I don't wanna hear that crap. Even if I were a Christian, what kind of message are they trying to send? That God doesn't care about you if you don't believe in him? What kind of omnipotent, omniscient, and supposedly loving being would create particular laws of physics that would cause matter to eventually arise to sentience, self-awareness, and the potential for many forms of philosophical thought, and through psychosocial influences that were beyond their control, a great deal of individuals decide to not believe in God as it goes against their rational standpoint of not blindly believing in what other humans say about God because their premise is not based upon any sort of empirical evidence, so they get killed in a car crash? "Hurr durr, I'm an omnipotent being that wants people to believe in me, I'll just make it a psychological impossibility for billions of individuals throughout the course of human history to believe in me and then smite them and send them to hell! Huehehuehue." What a sadistic character these Christians have made God into.

If God actually exists, I'm certain he/she/it doesn't care whether you know its there or not, or how "well" you're doing in any aspect of your life, it doesn't judge you, it doesn't punish you for right or wrong, and it has planned your consciousness, your life, everything about you and your entire experience, from the entire expanse of the universe, down to the last quark. Why? Who knows. Maybe we'll find out when we die. At least, I hope so. I kind of get concerned about chaos theory. I don't wanna reincarnate into some universe that is worse than this one.

I agree with your rant, but I get the feeling you're not used to that kind of treatment. It's how the world is and it's not going anywhere for the next few centuries. Also I'm Israeli, not American. And ex-Jewish.

6,850 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Forum Regular 100
nitznitz
psycheduck
nitznitz
Michael Noire
Michael Noire
I do find it an amusing idea to make it illegal to provide atheists with holidays, but expanding that, perhaps they should be banned from fireworks purchases related to holidays, banned from purchasing holiday themed discount products or movies, and while we are at it, we could put a microchip in their right hand or forehead to track their locations and lock them out of facilities with religious themes or purchases, such as hospitals, charities, or costume stores. neutral

After reading that, I think I'm going to be sick.

What disturbs me further is the notion that people could support such efforts against each other for ideological reasons.

What a baby.

Oh, you mean you're not used to people wishing you were dead just because you don't follow you're exact way of life?

What a sheltered baby.

Even if someone is used to the idea of one being persecuted for their beliefs (or disbelief, in this case) doesn't mean that the concept of advanced and socially acceptable persecution can't be thought to be horrifying. I'm familiar with the concept of people being sadistically tormented, improperly treated, or ostracized from communities for outspoken beliefs, but I still shudder thinking that somewhere in Africa, a witch doctor could right now be murdering her son who has an unknown medical illness because she thought he was possessed by a demon or something (and I realize that could happen in any part of the world, I'm just using it as an example).

You're probably well-informed of the atrocities committed in Nazi Germany, right? Would it not disturb you, as a Jewish-American in that time period, to learn about what was going on there, even if you were far removed from Germany itself? You, yourself, your loved ones, everyone you knew were all safe and sound in America, and you already knew that Germany was headed toward a fascist state from reading the paper. But would it not still sicken you to know that a civil government, which is supposed to protect the rights of their citizens, were hauling off innocent civilians to internment camps and executing them, all for being born in the wrong place at the wrong time?

Sure, the comparison is a little extreme from barring atheists from participating in festivities they don't believe in, but a civil government must be secular, that does not giving one group of people status over another because they align to a particular belief system, because of who they happened to be. You realize you are talking about laws that would prevent me from going to Loyola Hospital in an emergency because it's a Christian hospital? That's insane, and also may even violate what theists want in the first place. If theists don't want atheists on their private property, that's fine, but they need to ask them first or else they will have the police remove them for trespassing. Imagine though that keeping them away from theists would be the normal thing. It's rightfully sickening because it would change the social sphere. The ideology that our government should intervene in religion is still a thing, and passing such laws would aggravate that notion. Just a couple weeks ago I was driving in Indiana and I passed a billboard that said "If you don't drive with Jesus, you're taking the risk of being alone on the road." That's freaky dude. I don't wanna hear that crap. Even if I were a Christian, what kind of message are they trying to send? That God doesn't care about you if you don't believe in him? What kind of omnipotent, omniscient, and supposedly loving being would create particular laws of physics that would cause matter to eventually arise to sentience, self-awareness, and the potential for many forms of philosophical thought, and through psychosocial influences that were beyond their control, a great deal of individuals decide to not believe in God as it goes against their rational standpoint of not blindly believing in what other humans say about God because their premise is not based upon any sort of empirical evidence, so they get killed in a car crash? "Hurr durr, I'm an omnipotent being that wants people to believe in me, I'll just make it a psychological impossibility for billions of individuals throughout the course of human history to believe in me and then smite them and send them to hell! Huehehuehue." What a sadistic character these Christians have made God into.

If God actually exists, I'm certain he/she/it doesn't care whether you know its there or not, or how "well" you're doing in any aspect of your life, it doesn't judge you, it doesn't punish you for right or wrong, and it has planned your consciousness, your life, everything about you and your entire experience, from the entire expanse of the universe, down to the last quark. Why? Who knows. Maybe we'll find out when we die. At least, I hope so. I kind of get concerned about chaos theory. I don't wanna reincarnate into some universe that is worse than this one.

I agree with your rant, but I get the feeling you're not used to that kind of treatment.

No, I'm not. In America, the murdering/lynching/undue punishment of atheists or those who don't believe in a particular religion is uncommon. I'm used to social disparagement, however.

Quote:
It's how the world is and it's not going anywhere for the next few centuries. Also I'm Israeli, not American. And ex-Jewish.

You can't be certain of that. It's good for the spirit to have hope for the future, even when it seems like everything's going to hell.

Didn't mean to imply you were, I was just using the scenario as an example. I'm sure you got the point regardless.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff