Less opening more show. 0.31111111111111 31.1% [ 14 ]
Uh....this option. 0.24444444444444 24.4% [ 11 ]
Total Votes:[ 45 ]

Entrepreneur

10,325 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Millionaire 200
  • Profitable 100
So I had this discussion with a friend and I'm curious on everyone else's opinions.

Typical anime openings does indeed cost a bit money, especially if the animation is higher quality.
Many animes that would cut out most of an opening could have a bigger budget which translates
to more money on the actual show. Shows here overseas like Legend of Korra have a very short
opening and it seems to be doing fine (minus the whole Nick thing). Not to mention a lot channels
in America are a little more restricted to their TV time limit, if anime were to stick to shorter
openings, we could be seeing more animes in the US.

On the other side though, anime openings are the thing that get you hyped for a show when it's
good. They get you with catchy music you never discovered only to watch soon-to-be flagged videos
of it on YouTube. Furthermore, it's kind of been a tradition that every anime fan tends to expect.

This question came up when me and friend talked about if we were to make our anime; would it
have a long opening or not? Considering we were in America, long openings aren't as traditional,
especially with animated shows.

So Anime/Manga/Comic forum, what are your thoughts on this mater?

Omnipresent Hunter

9,550 Points
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Clambake 200
Not sure how the situation in Japan is like, but perhaps the reason why American TV show's openings/endings are shorter is because of the commercials and time spent on those rather than the actual series. Growing up from watching animated shows on US channels, I've begun to see the steady decline of time spent releasing the show and the increase of commercial times in between. It can't be helped that the openings have to be cut to accommodate the long and repetitive commercials.

As for the issue between long opening vs. short opening, I would side for a long opening. I find the short openings to be too repetitive.

Friendly Bookworm

9,850 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Beta Consumer 0
I like long openings, if they're good! Otherwise a long opening that I don't like can get tiresome and repetitive. It's all a matter of preference though when it comes to your prospective viewers. I say go with the long opening and make it AMAZING (: Just make sure you don't throw your entire animation budget into it hahaha!
If the music is good, then I don't mind a long opening and am fairly likely to play it over and over. If I don't care for the music, long or short, I tend to fast-forward through the opening all together...

Magical Girl

26,725 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Invisibility 100
Long openings can act as filler material. It gets reused over and over, so they can afford to make it higher quality than the actual show.

Short openings, especially ones with instrumental music, make me think the project is low budget.

Questionable Conversationalist

I like openings to be the standard 1:30 minutes, if that's what you're talking about being long. Toonami cuts down all the other anime OPs and EDs anyway so it's not that the show gets cut to show an opening so much as they cram the in-betweens with ~*commercial advertising*~ so anime cutting out 30 seconds of an opening isn't going to suddenly become more popular for stations to buy rights to air or a studio to buy a time slot (also like...if it doesn't suit Toonami's demographic where are you going to watch it anyway? xD)

Openings in my opinion are all about the hype or to get you into the right mindset of the show as well as advertise the heck out of it - as well as use audio to get stuck in your head because music is more easily memorized. You'll catch yourself humming a catchy opening and recall the show/band/singer and if you like it all you're likely to look it all up, and ideally buy the DVD/BD, the OP single, become a fan of the music artist(s), and industries get yo money :y I don't think you can really hold anime to an American perspective of show marketing without finding some lines just won't fit since I think OPs (and EDs though perhaps not as rabidly) are a lot more important in Japanese Anime marketing industry (as noted in that NA licensing requires licensing the music as well and how Crunchy Roll doesn't license the OPs and that's why it's actually illegal for them to sub the OPs and EDs of most of their streams *I think*) ((PPS. Sailor Moon Crystal is different because it's not backed by a TV station and licensing is surely different))

I think the tradition of a good 1:30 opening should stay where it's always been, very rarely do I dislike most openings and the only reason I might skip them is when I'm marathoning and it gets repetitive - but when I'm really emotional after an episode and move onto the next one I like to watch the OP to increase the hype. But there are rare cases where I always watch the OP and ED - Ga-Rei: Zero being one of them bc I freaking love both of the songs and the awesome animations of the OP and the somber loneliness of the minimal animation in the ED.

But I also think it's just whatever when programs like Toonami cut it - they wanna be snotty and make 1:00 more for commercials then fine - see if I care :U
I care a lot but again it can't be helped lol

Well dang I wrote a book again. I need to change my username to "obnoxiously wordy"

Romantic Grabber

It's funny because those openings usually have better animation than the actual show.
So maybe they need it.

mv 's Problem

Spicy Dog

17,325 Points
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Timid 100
  • Sausage Fest 200
          Aren't all openings pretty much approximately the same length? Unless there's like an intro they always replay before the opening, like Kuroko no Basket.
depends on whether or not it's catchy. emotion_c8
I don't mind the intros.
I always thought they were a trick to save money on the episode animation and s**t.

Aged Noob

6,250 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Person of Interest 200
I actually REALLY love the longer anime opening sequences, especially in long running anime series. They're usually really well done and I constantly find myself arguing over which one is best; I even have a full playlist of anime openings that I really like....

Plus, like I mentioned before, it's even better to me in a long running series; take for instance me:
Just recently, I decided to finally start watching Naruto Shippuden (also known as my current FAVORITE overrated anime series) and every time I watch through enough episodes to get to the next opening song, if feels like an accomplishment and it also hypes me up for the coming events in the next string of episodes.

I don't really think that long opening sequences are the real problem with anime; the big problem, to me, is more so focused in the ending sequences that almost NEVER fit the show they are set to. They're JUST as long, or maybe longer even, as the opening sequences and, yes, I know, credits HAVE TO be shown, but I really wish that, in THIS instance, Japan WOULD take a page from America's book and just roll the credits along the bottom of the screen during the end of the show (maybe add some cute, OBVIOUSLY ENDING, music, lightly, in the background for effect). There'd still be more time for story, the credits would be shown and EVERYONE (save for maybe the animators and budget people... >,> ) would be happy

Wealthy Bidder

8,950 Points
  • Bidding War 100
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Profitable 100
I prefer the Longer openings verse the shorter ones, because the Opening is the "What to expect" in the show, so if you watch the series, then go back and watch the opening just because you could, you will catch ALOT of spoilers that you didnt catch the first time through! Which i seem to really like the "Omg How did i miss this?!" feeling.

With shorter openings however, they cant hide any of the "spoilers" in the opening as well as the longer openings, OR the openings really show you nothing at all as far as what the series is generally about.

Now whether or not the song is good or bad is up to debate, because some series i HATED the opening with a burning passion, but then about halfway through the series the song starts to fit the overall theme of the series as it progresses. (Or you just get so used to it by the 6th episode you just block it out) And then there are cases like the anime my gaia avatar is cosplaying, Oreca Battle, Where the Opening itself isnt bad, but the guy singing it Needs To Be Shot.

Horridon's Spouse

Romantic Shapeshifter

User Image
"A ᴛʜɪᴇғ ɪs ᴀ ᴄʀᴇᴀᴛɪᴠᴇ ᴀʀᴛɪsᴛ ᴡʜᴏ ᴛᴀᴋᴇs ʜɪs ᴘʀᴇʏ ɪɴ sᴛʏʟᴇ"
╔══════════════════╗
x
I usually watch the opening once or twice and then skip it or have it running in the background while I browse the web.

As to if they need to be that long. Eh, I don't particularly mind unless I really hate the song. But like I said I tend to skip it.

x
╚══════════════════╝
"A ᴅᴇᴛᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇ ɪs ɴᴏᴛʜɪɴɢ ᴍᴏʀᴇ ᴛʜᴀɴ ᴀ ᴄʀɪᴛɪᴄ ᴡʜᴏ ғᴏʟʟᴏᴡs ᴛʜᴇɪʀ ғᴏᴏᴛsᴛᴇᴘs"
User Image

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items