Welcome to Gaia! ::

Distinct Elder

Don't need to be a chef to know that food tastes like s**t. Same logic applies.
Itchy the Hatter
This ^

Lavish Strawberry

sure. particularly if i were hoping to be some sort of professional artist. after all, who pays people to draw? people who can't. if your art doesn't appeal to the average non-artist, you're likely to struggle making ends meet. however, as with all critique, take it with a grain of salt.

Kyorukki's Wife

Noob

Lychee Fruit
Yes, provided this person had a heavy background in art appreciation, understood the principles of design and etc, and had at least a basic grasp of art history.

where do u draw the line? (no pun intended) and say if it's someone online offering critique and all you know is that they can't draw as well as you
zathraya
Itchy the Hatter
This ^

I agree, anyone can tell you the food is bad or the drawing is terrible, but critique also involves suggestions on how to fix it or improve it. And while I can tell when a meal is poor I am terrible in the kitchen and couldn't suggest in an educated way on how to correct it.
Same thing for art and design critique. Yes, the body looks wrong, but then to follow up suggesting how to work it properly into perspective requires a bit more knowledge.

Celestial Dog

SailorVera
zathraya
Itchy the Hatter
This ^

I agree, anyone can tell you the food is bad or the drawing is terrible, but critique also involves suggestions on how to fix it or improve it. And while I can tell when a meal is poor I am terrible in the kitchen and couldn't suggest in an educated way on how to correct it.
Same thing for art and design critique. Yes, the body looks wrong, but then to follow up suggesting how to work it properly into perspective requires a bit more knowledge.
I don't entirely agree. While an educated critique is bound to be more specific, someone without that knowledge can still tell you what might need fixing. They can still offer help on how to improve and shouldn't be shut down just because they don't have technical knowledge on the subject.
It actually depends.

If they would critic a work about its concept, for example, their interpretation about the work, then it's completely fine. Being able to hear from your audience concept-wise is great plus you can even add another meaning to your work. That's why it's important to ask opinions from other people most importantly when a work is in progress.

But being criticized image-wise (especially with negative comments) by someone who isn't even art-educated is not effin' cool. At all. scream

But but but I have to admit that COMPLIMENTS SOUND SO NICE redface heart heart

In a relationship with Help The Bombardier

Explorer

Lady Mizumi
It actually depends.

If they would critic a work about its concept, for example, their interpretation about the work, then it's completely fine. Being able to hear from your audience concept-wise is great plus you can even add another meaning to your work. That's why it's important to ask opinions from other people most importantly when a work is in progress.

But being criticized image-wise (especially with negative comments) by someone who isn't even art-educated is not effin' cool. At all. scream

So you don't think non-artists are valid in giving constructive critique on art?
Beena the Mystery
Lady Mizumi
It actually depends.

So you don't think non-artists are valid in giving constructive critique on art?

Not really, no. What I'm saying is that you have to study something to fully appreciate it. Not every non-artist in the world is incapable of giving sensible remarks on works of art, whatever art field it may be.

Just an example: if a person have had at least attended and participated in just enough ballet workshops in order for her to be familiar with the do's and dont's of a ballerina, that's when I think a fellow ballerina would gladly accept her comments and suggestions. Let's say she watched numerous ballet recitals. She will gain more knowledge about other ballerina's movements (and/or style) even if she is no longer putting it into practice. However, what she is putting into practice is how she will be a good/better critique of dance/performing arts.

In conclusion,
it depends on how much a person knows something for her to be a more effective critique. And more importantly, it depends on the artist if he/she will favor one's critique. It just happens that an artist values other people's critique on top of... the others.

I really hope I made sense. I think all these babbling can be related to a saying, though:
"It takes one to know one."

smile biggrin smile

you have to remember though... this is an opinion and is still subjective. neutral
depends on the critique. for the most part I'll try to take what they said into consideration, when someone points something out that looks weird or is wrong I usually notice it right away.

BUT if its something that I'm thinking "well..... I'm not sure if they are right about that", their present art skill will be a deal breaker of whether or not I use the critique.

as long as its not mean or a personal attack I welcome critique from anyone, but that doesn't mean I'm necessarily going to follow everyone's advice. Cuz that's not possible razz

Gonna be completely honest: I'd value the opinion of a person with a lot of experience and/or skill over the opinion of a beginner, or a less skilled artist. But I'd never brush off a critical comment ONLY because "their art sux"
Always take critique. You don't need to be an architect to understand that circular buildings are stupid. You don't need to be a mechanic to know when a car is broken. You don't need to be an artist to spot errors in a drawing.

Now, taking lessons from someone who can't draw would genuinely be stupid. But accepting critique is not.

In a relationship with Help The Bombardier

Explorer

Lady Mizumi

Just clarifying, it sounded like non-artist's opinions are invalid from your first post.

Spicy Sweetheart

I probably would.
It's someone else's opinion on what looks good or needs improvement.
It doesn't take a good drawing ability to spot things that look odd.
A lot of peeps have already given my opinion on this with the whole chef analogy.

To take it a further on that - yes, a person who isn't artistically inclined won't be able to tell you how to fix it, but they have brought it to your attention and if you take it seriously, hopefully you'll then be able to look back on that image to see what they mean and fix it yourself.

Staring at something for so long does blur your judgement so a critique or comment, no matter who it's from, can really help to refresh your eyes to the image and work on fixing it.

Especially with things like anatomy - everyone has eyes and looks at other people on a daily basis. They are just as able to pick things out because they don't look 'natural' with how you've seen it done yourself IRL.
A helpful critique can come from anyone. Sometimes is just takes another person's perspective to see what needs fixing.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff