Welcome to Gaia! ::

I like the handful of crazies that link Atheists with Satanism.

Dapper Reveler

Who is this relevant towards?
Avgvsto
Who is this relevant towards?

Christians and Atheists. Anyone else is not involved here.

Fanatical Zealot

Actually the original word meant with god or gods, as some individual would reject specific Gods of the greek pantheon, and were outcasted as a result.

It doesn't actually mean without "God"-s, specifically plural.

Although it's an out dated term anyways.

Atheos comes from the two greek words, A, and Theos, essentially "Not" "God". Theos means "God" not Gods. Basically meaning that the purported etymological root is false.

Blessed Phantom

5,600 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Friendly 100

Garbage

Goldgato
3edgy5me
For some reason, instead of "three edgy" my mind just went "thredgy"
HannibalImhotep

It's more or less based on a Stephen Roberts quote, which runs thusly:

"I contend that we are both atheists; I just believe in one fewer god than you. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."

In the modern sense of the word atheism, it's not correct. This is a rough continuum:

-Atheist: No gods.

-Agnostic: Not sure if gods.

-Monotheist: One god. No others.

-Henotheist: One god. Not sure if others.

-Monolater: Serves one god, but there are others. (Prone to becoming monotheist if a certain god's monolaters dominate long enough.)

-Kathenotheist: Many gods; "we're at war, so I serve the war god. Subject to change after the war's done."

-Polytheist: Many gods.

-Pantheist: The universe is god.

-Transtheist: There's something beyond god(s).
Etymological fallacy. Move along.

--An atheist

Beloved Lunatic

I don't like that link. It should be a different shade of blue.

Blessed Phantom

5,600 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Friendly 100
Sandokiri

"I contend that we are both atheists; I just believe in one fewer god than you. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."

Actually it's not. When the term atheism was originally coined, it was used by the Greeks and Romans as a term to refer to anyone who did not worship, or at least show token respect for, the Greek and Roman pantheons. The term translates as "without gods" but at the time it was less "without any belief in any gods" and more "without belief in or even respect for our gods".

You see the Greeks and Romans largely didn't mind the existence of religions outside their pantheons, they only asked that those with other religious beliefs make a show of respect towards their pantheons. Maybe participate in feasts and public celebrations, but at home do whatever, and most religions followed this because their commitment to their religion wasn't as zealous. However Christians were a different story. They refused to uphold this tradition, refused to make any sort of show of respect towards the pantheons. So the term atheist was originally used to refer to these sorts of zealots who rejected the Greek and Roman pantheons entirely to the point of not even pretending to respect their gods, and was basically synonymous with troublemaker. It was illegal to be "atheist" in Greek and Roman society not because they had a problem with people who believed in no gods, but because under their definition of atheist an atheist was basically a seditious troublemaker who spat on Greek and Roman tradition and law.
Goldgato
Sandokiri

Actually it's not. When the term atheism was originally coined, it was used by the Greeks and Romans as a term to refer to anyone who did not worship, or at least show token respect for, the Greek and Roman pantheons. The term translates as "without gods" but at the time it was less "without any belief in any gods" and more "without belief in or even respect for our gods".

I should clarify then. 3nodding I'm referring to "atheism" as the word has become. Yes, it was coined to be "disbelief and disrespect toward our pantheon;" but once that pantheon was no longer culturally relevant and Christianity emerged as the ex-Empire's dominant religion, then "atheism" became that with respect to Christianity.

The language has evolved further; "atheist" no longer implies disrespect, only disbelief - and not toward the specific god(s), but all of them. So modern concepts of "you're also an atheist, you just stop short of admitting it" is rooted in this - not in the original etymology. yum_puddi
atheists are christians too

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces