Welcome to Gaia! ::

24,500 Points
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Party Animal 100
  • Destroyer of Cuteness 150
Quote:

Germany has a new holder for the title of "heaviest baby."

Jasleen was born at University Hospital in Leipzig on July 26, weighing in at 13.47 pounds, and measuring 22.6 inches long -- and she was delivered without the help of a C-section, reports the New York Daily News.

The medical term for babies born weighing more than 8 pounds, 13 ounces is "fetal macrosomia," and heavy babies are often attributed to maternal obesity and diabetes, among other factors. In Jasleen's case, doctors said her size is due to an undiagnosed case of gestational diabetes, reports the German paper Der Spiegel, which adds that both baby and Mom are doing well, though Jasleen remains in the hospital.

Until Jasleen's birth last week the title of Germany's "heaviest" or "largest" baby belonged to one named Jihad, who was born in November 2011 and weighed in at 13 pounds.

Jasleen, however, is not the heaviest baby born this year. We can't forget about about George King, who was born in March to a British couple and weighed in at 15 pounds, 7 ounces -- and again, yes, he was delivered vaginally.

And on July 11, Pittsburgh-area woman Michelle Cessna gave birth to Addyson Gale Cessna, who was born at 13 pounds, 12 ounces, and measured 25 inches via C-section.

While big babies seem to be on the rise, the Guinness Book of World Records says the heaviest baby ever born weighed 23 pounds, born to Anna Bates in 1879. No other newborn has tipped that scale yet, but here are seven who have come close. Source

And here's a picture of Baby Jasleen:

User Image

Wow

Wintry Dragon

I wonder if the mother received massive reconstructive surgery down there?

Quotable Informer

20,825 Points
  • Elysium's Gatekeeper 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
Poor mama for delievering a baby that big. Poor Baby for being that big. He'll be on a very restrictive diet for a long time.

Devout Worshipper

Devout Worshipper

Amazing. That's probably a genetic disorder running through family roots from either one of the parents. If that's not a factor of genetical roots, then an external factor might be causing this, e.g., radioactivity, cigarettes, etc.

In any case, hope there is no lethal health risks out of that in the near future, especially that it's involving diabetes and obesity to the scene.

Sweet Tycoon

8,600 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Senpai's Notice 100
  • Mark Twain 100
Holy s**t. O.o How? What? Where? How did the mother give birth to that baby O.o eek

5,950 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Market Browser 100
  • Wall Street 200
Wow. If I were the mother, I would have asked for a ******** medal to have had the baby naturally. God poor baby, he is going to be on a tough diet...

Greedy Consumer

looks obese xd

6,925 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Contributor 150
  • Hygienic 200
Holy s**t, that's a big baby.

Devoted Hunter

God, that mother must have been through a massive amount of pain...

Demonic Fairy

13,625 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Tycoon 200
  • Jack-pot 100
Sweet mother of Sanguine, she's about the size of a person's entire torso. gonk How is that even physically possible?
gonk Omg as a pregnate woman 39 weeks that is just horrifying xD Lucky for me my baby is definately NOT that big but you would have thought they would have taken the baby out before it got to that size though??

Shameless Fairy

I did a little more research into the story, and it seems the woman may have had an undiagnosed case of gestational diabetes causing the child to grow that big.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff