Welcome to Gaia! ::

Do you think it was wrong of Gaia to copy and alter an independent artist's creative property for commercial purposes?

Yes 0.74271990393275 74.3% [ 2474 ]
No 0.25728009606725 25.7% [ 857 ]
Total Votes:[ 3331 ]

Loyal Sweetheart

26,890 Points
  • Hero 100
  • Evolution Debut 250
  • Noble Shade 100
I hope they don't remove the horns because I actually think they're cute and I don't even think about homestuck when I see them. :c
Signed
This is actually offensive to me that people would do this.
burning_eyes

2,250 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
Libra Fluff
Lost MC
No, it isn't. You do know Gaia had Candy Horns before Homestuck, right? neutral

Quote:
And the Candy Horns?

Most of the variations on this new item, creatable through formulas you can find, not buy, are either generic or recolored versions of previously available horn styles. Four styles, however, were lifted from designs present in the comic. The Hooked, Jagged, Arrow, and Dual horns are new item models and not recolors. While no money is involved with these items, Gaia chose to borrow designs rather than create their own. Once again, the creator was not contacted.

User Image

The ToT Tote horns from October 2008 are not the horns in question. The origin of the Homestuck horns is a throwback to the candycorn vampire gag in Problem Sleuth, which began in March 2008. Their existence is unrelated.

Which is why everyone can tell YOU didn't read the OP
geode543
Libra Fluff
Lost MC

Quote:
And the Candy Horns?

Most of the variations on this new item, creatable through formulas you can find, not buy, are either generic or recolored versions of previously available horn styles. Four styles, however, were lifted from designs present in the comic. The Hooked, Jagged, Arrow, and Dual horns are new item models and not recolors. While no money is involved with these items, Gaia chose to borrow designs rather than create their own. Once again, the creator was not contacted.

User Image

The ToT Tote horns from October 2008 are not the horns in question. The origin of the Homestuck horns is a throwback to the candycorn vampire gag in Problem Sleuth, which began in March 2008. Their existence is unrelated.

Thanks for posting that, I took the liberty of bolding the reason why these horns can't be touched.

Yeah, Gaia isn't making a profit off of these horns, I don't have to grasp at straws to tell you that it's not illegal or immoral to make horns that may or may not represent other images and give them to the pixelated avatars for free, you can ask any of the deviants who do fanart or make horns for profit. =|

If we're REALLY going to argue about Homestuck vs. Gaia, horns won't be solid ground, which may probably be a bit of back pedeling on my part, but that's something entirely different in and of itself.

This whole issue is just a giant load of nonsense and nobody seems to understand or comprehend even what it takes for Gaia to remove these items, which shows ME why the signers don't understand jack s**t about the consequences of removing said items.

Yet still I see these people come here and just go "Oh, I sign, hurr durr sign sign sign." and they don't bother even looking through the arguements, they just blindly sign because the OP doesn't tell you what it takes to remove the items, and everyone just assumes that it's a snap of the fingers and a twitch of the nose and boom all our problems are gone.

2,250 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
Dealer of Aces
geode543
Libra Fluff
Lost MC

Quote:
And the Candy Horns?

User Image

Thanks for posting that, I took the liberty of bolding the reason why these horns can't be touched.

Yeah, Gaia isn't making a profit off of these horns, I don't have to grasp at straws to tell you that it's not illegal or immoral to make horns that may or may not represent other images and give them to the pixelated avatars for free, you can ask any of the deviants who do fanart or make horns for profit. =|

If we're REALLY going to argue about Homestuck vs. Gaia, horns won't be solid ground, which may probably be a bit of back pedeling on my part, but that's something entirely different in and of itself.

This whole issue is just a giant load of nonsense and nobody seems to understand or comprehend even what it takes for Gaia to remove these items, which shows ME why the signers don't understand jack s**t about the consequences of removing said items.

Yet still I see these people come here and just go "Oh, I sign, hurr durr sign sign sign." and they don't bother even looking through the arguements, they just blindly sign because the OP doesn't tell you what it takes to remove the items, and everyone just assumes that it's a snap of the fingers and a twitch of the nose and boom all our problems are gone.

I don't support the removal of the items. I just signed the petition because I just want them to give credit where credit is due, that's all.
Besides the horns arent really that big a deal are they?
geode543
Dealer of Aces
geode543
Libra Fluff
Lost MC

Quote:
And the Candy Horns?

User Image

I don't support the removal of the items. I just signed the petition because I just want them to give credit where credit is due, that's all.
Besides the horns arent really that big a deal are they?

The horns really serve no purpose in this petition as Gaia doesn't make money from them, the only thing the OP probably cares about is credit, but credit isn't due on anything as Gaia doesn't have to state where the items are based off of.

And signing the petition is for the removal of items, not giving credit, so you're signing for a cause you don't fully support...
Quote:

Oh, good, we've abandoned the 'Those horns are vague and not from Homestuck' bandwagon and promptly burned it down. Thank god.

You're still wrong, though.

Regardless as to whether or not it's making money, Hussie still owns those horn designs. Because the way Gaia has used them is not protected under fair use, Hussie can have them taken down if he so wishes.

5,550 Points
  • Member 100
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Person of Interest 200

Apocalyptic Slayer

16,700 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Vicious Spirit 250
  • Survivor 150
Abcdpup
Oh, good, we've abandoned the 'Those horns are vague and not from Homestuck' bandwagon and promptly burned it down. Thank god.
Uh, no we haven't.
Awhile back I said that those of us suggesting that didn't believe it, but were playing devil's advocate. They are too vague for a judge to hear the case.

Good luck with your stupid idea about how much power Hussie has in court.
Pilfer von Durem
Abcdpup
Uh, no we haven't.
Awhile back I said that those of us suggesting that didn't believe it, but were playing devil's advocate. They are too vague for a judge to hear the case.

Vague resemblance!
Gee, it feels like I've done this before. Probably because I have and people ignored it? Oh well.

Conservative Businesswoman

5,750 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
Homestuck Sucks anyway. You're giving attention to a shitty 2-bit generic a** webcomic artist who doesn't give TWO ******** about his fans. He's in it for the $$$ not the joys of delivering a Story.

I never understood fandoms that latch on to things that do not like them back, Is it really worth being HIP AND KEWL? I won't be responding to this thread, I like to forget this crap exist really. It's the only way to kill it.

Conservative Businesswoman

5,750 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
2nd of all, For a site as big as gaia to do this to his little petty a** should be an HONOR. His webcomic isn't something major, It's a webcomic only a few and I do mean few compared to the majority hipsters read. Who cares? This is only making me think even more of what a little money grubbing b*****d he is.

5,250 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Survivor 150
ElviraMurkham
2nd of all, For a site as big as gaia to do this to his little petty a** should be an HONOR. His webcomic isn't something major, It's a webcomic only a few and I do mean few compared to the majority hipsters read. Who cares? This is only making me think even more of what a little money grubbing b*****d he is.

(all of this without sarcasm or rudeness intended)
Please don't assume things. He does care about his readers, and answers their questions and everything to the best of his ability.
He of course cares about money, however. You can't live in today's world without having money, and I imagine that this so-called "shitty 2-bit generic a** webcomic" takes most of his freetime, and it's obviously not something that he does for himself, otherwise why share it, or do it at all? Most of what's good about being an artist, or creative at all, is being able to share it with other people and have them enjoy it.
I'm sorry that you don't see the comic the same way we do, but please, don't go into a forum that's obviously about it if you don't like it. Just accept that it's not something that you like, and move on with your life. Being rude and immature will not get you very far in life, and I hope you realize this.
I apologize if I've offended you. If I have, you can take it up with me through pm. Please don't insult me through this forum.
heart Kay
Abcdpup
Pilfer von Durem
Abcdpup
Uh, no we haven't.

Vague resemblance!
Gee, it feels like I've done this before. Probably because I have and people ignored it? Oh well.

You seem to think that picture is helping you.

I'll tell you upfront the differences between the horns are large enough to go nowhere in court.

6: The horns are curved and short, the horns (unless you have a picture on an avatar showing otherwise) are longer and straight.

The one that's been slightly cut off is, once again, shorter then the horns in the picture on the left and curve in much farther then the horns you're comparing them to. The picture on the right doesn't even come close as the horn has a type of wave pattern on the end, and unless you have a picture of them on the avatar, you're not showing me otherwise that they're any different.

5: Is a little less vague, however the horns are reversed, the larger horns on the top and the smaller on the bottom from the picture in the scroll.

7: How you've come to the conclusion that these resemble those horns is ridiculous, they're curved completely different then the ones posted, as those horns jut away from the troll and curve inwards, the horns in the scroll do the exact opposite...

You're trying to hide behind unclear illustrations of the horns vs the trolls horns, unless you have an avatar accurately showing these horns outside of the scroll then you're not proving anything other then that they're vague representations. =|

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff