Welcome to Gaia! ::

Dapper Detective

4,100 Points
  • Clambake 200
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Tipsy 100
some of them do, but a lot of them don't.
this is remembering that stephenie meyer is a writer in the same way that sigmund freud is a psychologist.
(ooh, science burn!)
but no, everyone should just learn not to take everything seriously, even if they wrote/painted/theorised it.
lollipopsy
this is remembering that stephenie meyer is a writer in the same way that sigmund freud is a psychologist.
(ooh, science burn!)
but no, everyone should just learn not to take everything seriously, even if they wrote/painted/theorised it.
You don't really know anything about Freud, do you? While a lot of his theories are totally weird and considered "disproven" (like the whole p***s envy thing and psychosexual development), he still made A LOT of other contributions to psychology that have been modified and improved upon for modern-day usage. He's one of the big "fathers" of psychology, along with Wundt and James and a few others. He came up with the psychoanalytic method for therapy which is still used today, free association which is still used in a lot of other therapy techniques like projective personality tests. and defense mechanisms which is still considered pretty valid. Its silly to say that he's not a psychologist simply because we've learned more about psychology in the past century or so. Naturally a lot of his theories are going to fall by the way-side as we discover things with technology and methods that he never had available to him. But he still did a lot that helped us to get to where we are in modern psychology and when you make as many theories as he did, its a little hard not to come up with a lot crazy bullshit from time to time too.

So....are you saying that Stephanie Meyer is a "mother" of literature that came up with as many weirdo ideas as she did ingenious ones that will influence literature FOREVER? lmao. I hoooope nooot....

That aside...I'm not entirely sure how Meyer being a bad writer has to do with arrogant writers who think they know more than people who aren't writers. sweatdrop

Dapper Detective

4,100 Points
  • Clambake 200
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Tipsy 100
KiMeepKi
lollipopsy
(ooh, science burn!)
You don't really know anything about Freud, do you? While a lot of his theories are totally weird and considered "disproven" (like the whole p***s envy thing and
<...>

... okay, i had a point, but i can't remember it... i just re-watched "alex reads twilight" on youtube, so i was in the mood for some meyer-bashing.
oh! i think it was that a lot of the people that are snobs about being writers aren't very good at it... or something... i'm tired...

anyway...
freud's theories can't be officially disproven, because they're not testable hypotheses. also i'm a psych major, and just wrote an essay on him; that's why it came to my mind. he's more a philosopher than a scientist, so if you classify psych as a science, he's not one. no scientific method to be seen.
lollipopsy
KiMeepKi
lollipopsy
(ooh, science burn!)
You don't really know anything about Freud, do you? While a lot of his theories are totally weird and considered "disproven" (like the whole p***s envy thing and
<...>

... okay, i had a point, but i can't remember it... i just re-watched "alex reads twilight" on youtube, so i was in the mood for some meyer-bashing.
oh! i think it was that a lot of the people that are snobs about being writers aren't very good at it... or something... i'm tired...

anyway...
freud's theories can't be officially disproven, because they're not testable hypotheses. also i'm a psych major, and just wrote an essay on him; that's why it came to my mind. he's more a philosopher than a scientist, so if you classify psych as a science, he's not one. no scientific method to be seen.

I have to agree with this slightly. In his time, he was a psychologist, or, at least, a psychoanalyst. He is, now, considered little more than a theorist. Since you are having to learn about him in Psych classes, I think it is safe to say that he has some sort of influence in Psych. To disagree that he was a father of this field would be to prove ignorance and complete disavowment of his influence in your field.
lollipopsy

Oh ok, that makes more sense then. But I don't recall Meyer being one of those snobby writers.

Quote:
anyway...
I'm a psych major as well, four years and graduating, and the Writer's Forum's resident "psychologist", lmao. I'm actually in class now, learning about Freud and various types of psychotherapy (ironically). Psychology is very dynamic and is not just a science, therefore you can't ONLY go based on the scientific method to determine if someone is a psychologist or not. Psychology is a science, a practice, and a discipline. So simply because Freud is not a scientist does not mean he's not a psychologist and that he did not contribute a lot of important things to psychology. That's like saying because a physician does not employ the scientific method while giving you a check up that they aren't a scientist and therefore not a doctor. He practiced psychology in terms of medicine and treatment and was greatly involved in the discipline...so he's a psychologist regardless of what you may personally think about his theories and methods.

I'd say he focused a lot more on the discipline and practice of psychology than the science of it seeing as though the science of psychology only barely existed back then. It cannot be argued that psychoanalysis has been a very helpful mode of therapy for a lot of people, regardless of the various criticism there may be surrounding it. It cannot be argued that a lot of Freud's theories are still used today like free association, defense mechanism, and the unconscious. I find that most intro level psych classes tend to completely push Freud aside but really that's not correct. So I know where you're coming from since I was taught to not acknowledge Freud for a while too. But when you're in a class specifically about psychotherapy and you get to learn more in-depth about various techniques like psychoanalysis, you see more about the merits of Freud and his theories.

But I guess its irrelevant to the topic, lol. I only wanted to point out that you can't put Freud and Meyer on the same level just because a lot of Freud's theories have been discredited and many of them pushed aside.
Liam_Rayes
lollipopsy
KiMeepKi
lollipopsy
(ooh, science burn!)
<...>

anyway...

I have to agree with this slightly. In his time, he was a psychologist, or, at least, a psychoanalyst. He is, now, considered little more than a theorist. Since you are having to learn about him in Psych classes, I think it is safe to say that he has some sort of influence in Psych. To disagree that he was a father of this field would be to prove ignorance and complete disavowment of his influence in your field.
The only way Freud "was" a psychologist is because he's dead. If Freud were alive today, he'd still be a psychologist. He practiced and theorized about psychology, therefore he is a psychologist. Theory (the discipline) is a part of psychology. Psychoanalysis is a part of psychology. A psychologist is someone who studies the mind, that's what Freud did. So he's a psychologist, lmao. Unless we're getting technical and talking about the whole thing about needing a master's degree and a license to practice, then no, he wouldn't be a psychologist 'cause I don't think that kind of stuff was available back then.

7,950 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Profitable 100
  • Tycoon 200
I've pretty much generalized everything in my signature.
Replace "artist" with "writer".
Kai Luna
HA! Love it! whee

Enduring Phantom

Kai Luna

Dang, you hit the nail on the head there haha.
Most authors I know (mostly amateur authors online) aren't arrogant in the least, though I have seen what you're talking about. ESPECIALLY with the slang thing! One time I was seeking advice on my short story and posted a few lines from it, one being a character speaking and they weren't using super proper English so one person just HAD to point it out. The thing is, all of my characters are NOT going to speak proper English because some of my characters aren't all that proper. Honestly. talk2hand I don't consider myself high and mighty, although I do LOATH chat-speak, though that may be due to the fact that I've never used it because I learned how to type at a fairly young age. Also, on amateur author websites I've encountered a few authors who DID NOT take too kindly to my criticism (constructive, mind you). They say things such as, "You don't know what you're talking about!" Frankly, I believe any good author is willing to accept criticism.
KiMeepKi
xXAnyaSinXx

i wasn't in for a whole debate about this but i was just sharing my opinion in the past comments and i realize you have been too, but see where you went wrong? if it's all opinions then there shouldn't really be a right or wrong answer to this... if it's opininated then both side which you call : majority and minority, should not have all the "correct answers" because there arent' actually any. that kinda just makes you look like you're trying to prove over everyone.... and society is a lie. it's complete bs. look at what's on tv now. look at the singers, look at what is happening to the world. you can't tell me that it's a better place than it was 10 years ago, cuz it's not. i think categorizing this as "why are writer's blah blah blah" is what was a wrong move, because many other people who do not write can be even more arrogant than writers that you kknow who are arrogant. just saying. and you cant blame me for jumping in 10 pages late and not seeing your "first comment"
...you just asked me if people were answering this correctly...you said, "but let me know if someone has answered correctly to this..." That's the only reason why I even said that and I thought you meant if they answered it on topic and understood what I meant, not if they had the "right answer". I was not looking for a specific answer, but if you're going to simply read the title and reply, then you aren't replying to the discussion and therefore you're doing it wrong. Simple as that. To have a discussion, you need to know what's being discussed. The title is not what's being discussed, the first post is.

And I CAN blame you for "jumping in 10 pages late and not seeing [my] 'first comment'" because my first comment is the very first comment. Its not like you have to dig for it. And you're SUPPOSED TO READ THAT. Like...wtf? Are you new to forum websites or something? You're ALWAYS supposed to read the first post. Go to the first page, scroll up to the first post, and read it. You don't have to read the entire discussion, but you can at least read the starting post. If you aren't going to do that, then leave the discussion because you have no clue what you're even talking about. You can talk about the title all you want, but its just a title and nothing more. As I said before, that's like reading the title of a book and thinking you know what the book's about. If you've only read the title, you don't know what you're talking about and anything you say is completely irrelevant and pointless.

Also, because this is a writers forum, I'm going to specifically talk about writers. Of course many other people are like this, but if I was to say "HEY! WHY IS EVERYONE SO ARROGANT!!?!?!?!" then it would have been spam because this is a forum for discussing writing. So obviously, my thread has to be related to writing.

If you don't want to "debate", then stop trying to argue a herp derp point of view and leave. Peace.

EDIT I just looked at your profile and it seems you ARE new to Gaia. That literally explains everything...

Ok listen...when you want to enter a discussion on a thread in any forum on Gaia or ANY website, always click the first page and read the very first post. You don't have to read anything but that first post, but its usually a good idea to read the first post and the last page. Do NOT, in the future, try to discuss something based solely on the title because you have no idea what the person you're arguing against is really saying. Like right now, you're almost totally off topic. Its very important to read the first post. Ok?

yea it would've been nice to know earlier -_- usually the forum sites i go on you have to click and click and click and let the computer load the pages before you get to the first post
but still, it's good to know now at least
i dont really appreciate being blamed for being new and not knowing you don't have to click a bunch of pages to get to a first post.. i thought extra notes were sposed to be under the topic but whatever -_- i gotta get used to this site now
and don't treat me like i'm a child with the capitals for stressing your point and the little "ok?" at the end of your edit post... like honestly, it was nice of you to tell me that i can just skip to the first post but posting the ok? you're not my parent or elder... i find it quite rude but i could assume that because we are probly in two completely different parts of the world
i am done here, and it seems you have helped me meet an arrogant writer (:
i guess you're topic is partially rite
xXAnyaSinXx
KiMeepKi
xXAnyaSinXx

i wasn't in for a whole debate about this but i was just sharing my opinion in the past comments and i realize you have been too, but see where you went wrong? if it's all opinions then there shouldn't really be a right or wrong answer to this... if it's opininated then both side which you call : majority and minority, should not have all the "correct answers" because there arent' actually any. that kinda just makes you look like you're trying to prove over everyone.... and society is a lie. it's complete bs. look at what's on tv now. look at the singers, look at what is happening to the world. you can't tell me that it's a better place than it was 10 years ago, cuz it's not. i think categorizing this as "why are writer's blah blah blah" is what was a wrong move, because many other people who do not write can be even more arrogant than writers that you kknow who are arrogant. just saying. and you cant blame me for jumping in 10 pages late and not seeing your "first comment"
...you just asked me if people were answering this correctly...you said, "but let me know if someone has answered correctly to this..." That's the only reason why I even said that and I thought you meant if they answered it on topic and understood what I meant, not if they had the "right answer". I was not looking for a specific answer, but if you're going to simply read the title and reply, then you aren't replying to the discussion and therefore you're doing it wrong. Simple as that. To have a discussion, you need to know what's being discussed. The title is not what's being discussed, the first post is.

And I CAN blame you for "jumping in 10 pages late and not seeing [my] 'first comment'" because my first comment is the very first comment. Its not like you have to dig for it. And you're SUPPOSED TO READ THAT. Like...wtf? Are you new to forum websites or something? You're ALWAYS supposed to read the first post. Go to the first page, scroll up to the first post, and read it. You don't have to read the entire discussion, but you can at least read the starting post. If you aren't going to do that, then leave the discussion because you have no clue what you're even talking about. You can talk about the title all you want, but its just a title and nothing more. As I said before, that's like reading the title of a book and thinking you know what the book's about. If you've only read the title, you don't know what you're talking about and anything you say is completely irrelevant and pointless.

Also, because this is a writers forum, I'm going to specifically talk about writers. Of course many other people are like this, but if I was to say "HEY! WHY IS EVERYONE SO ARROGANT!!?!?!?!" then it would have been spam because this is a forum for discussing writing. So obviously, my thread has to be related to writing.

If you don't want to "debate", then stop trying to argue a herp derp point of view and leave. Peace.

EDIT I just looked at your profile and it seems you ARE new to Gaia. That literally explains everything...

Ok listen...when you want to enter a discussion on a thread in any forum on Gaia or ANY website, always click the first page and read the very first post. You don't have to read anything but that first post, but its usually a good idea to read the first post and the last page. Do NOT, in the future, try to discuss something based solely on the title because you have no idea what the person you're arguing against is really saying. Like right now, you're almost totally off topic. Its very important to read the first post. Ok?

yea it would've been nice to know earlier -_- usually the forum sites i go on you have to click and click and click and let the computer load the pages before you get to the first post
but still, it's good to know now at least
i dont really appreciate being blamed for being new and not knowing you don't have to click a bunch of pages to get to a first post.. i thought extra notes were sposed to be under the topic but whatever -_- i gotta get used to this site now
and don't treat me like i'm a child with the capitals for stressing your point and the little "ok?" at the end of your edit post... like honestly, it was nice of you to tell me that i can just skip to the first post but posting the ok? you're not my parent or elder... i find it quite rude but i could assume that because we are probly in two completely different parts of the world
i am done here, and it seems you have helped me meet an arrogant writer (:
i guess you're topic is partially rite
Lmao don't get pissy at me for your own ignorance. That's not my problem, that's yours. It is common knowledge that one should read the first post before jumping into a forum discussion. Even people as old as 50 whom have never been on a forum website a day in their lives know that. And from your unnecessary insults of me simply because I broke it down for you, I think its safe to say that you're quite embarrassed for not knowing it. And you should be. Its embarrassing. Now poof, be gone. Peace.
evilanimeangel
Most authors I know (mostly amateur authors online) aren't arrogant in the least, though I have seen what you're talking about. ESPECIALLY with the slang thing! One time I was seeking advice on my short story and posted a few lines from it, one being a character speaking and they weren't using super proper English so one person just HAD to point it out. The thing is, all of my characters are NOT going to speak proper English because some of my characters aren't all that proper. Honestly. talk2hand I don't consider myself high and mighty, although I do LOATH chat-speak, though that may be due to the fact that I've never used it because I learned how to type at a fairly young age. Also, on amateur author websites I've encountered a few authors who DID NOT take too kindly to my criticism (constructive, mind you). They say things such as, "You don't know what you're talking about!" Frankly, I believe any good author is willing to accept criticism.
I've experienced that too before! In my creative writing class, there was this one guy who would always put red grammar correction marks all over my story. And I'm like...its written in first person and the narrator doesn't speak proper English. DUH!

Personally, I only dislike chatspeak (in proper context) because I don't understand it, lol. I only know the old, 90s chatspeak like lol, a/s/l, brb, gtg...ya know, the simple stuff. All this "TTMWOYERW" confuses the ******** out of me. And I don't like being confused! But I still can accept it given appropriate circumstances. For example, using chatspeak online is a bit irking but I can live with it because that's where it belongs. I'm not gonna tell someone that they're stupid because they're using chatspeak on a chatroom! But if someone has chatspeak in a story, I'd very likely question why its there and wonder what their intentions were for it. If they were mimicking an online atmosphere or some sorta dystopia where everyone talks in chatspeak, that's fine. But if they were just lazy...uhhhhh NO! I'll have to get on them for that.

Sorry if I'm rambling...I'm slightly drunk at the moment sweatdrop
I am a pretentious writer.
When entering anything dealing with English or writing I develop this "holier than thou" attitude.
I'm this way for starters because my ego got stroked, I am my biggest critic.
But compliments about my writing will go straight to my head.
It's the only thing I've ever thought I was good at, so I boost myself up in it.

Writing isn't that easy for someone when it doesn't come naturally.
My friend Ashes is brilliant artist, she can draw things I can only see in my head.
But she comes to me for help with all of her English homework.
Likewise when I dabble in pixel art I ask her to look it over.
Possessing a talent other people don't have develops this superior attitude.

At my high school the math teachers would tease the English teacher with challenging questions.
And laugh at them when they couldn't figure them out.
I don't think your question lies under artists.
But people in general.

Aren't we allowed to be a bit arrogant when we're better?
Fenix Renascut
I am a pretentious writer.
When entering anything dealing with English or writing I develop this "holier than thou" attitude.
I'm this way for starters because my ego got stroked, I am my biggest critic.
But compliments about my writing will go straight to my head.
It's the only thing I've ever thought I was good at, so I boost myself up in it.

Writing isn't that easy for someone when it doesn't come naturally.
My friend Ashes is brilliant artist, she can draw things I can only see in my head.
But she comes to me for help with all of her English homework.
Likewise when I dabble in pixel art I ask her to look it over.
Possessing a talent other people don't have develops this superior attitude.

At my high school the math teachers would tease the English teacher with challenging questions.
And laugh at them when they couldn't figure them out.
I don't think your question lies under artists.
But people in general.

Aren't we allowed to be a bit arrogant when we're better?

Short answer? No.

Long answer? No, because, using the English teacher Math teacher example, what happens when the English teacher presents a challenge to the Math teacher? Suddenly, it is the mathematician's turn to be the butt-monkey. I'm a computer repair technician. I can do a LOT of things with computers and other silicon based technologies. A lot of times, I'm helping a mechanic or a doctor with their machine. Does that make me better than them? Am I allowed to look down my nose at these technological plebeians who did something so trite as to get a virus? While human nature often does win through, the part of me capable of proper judgment says, "No, because that mechanic can make sense of that mess of pipes, pulleys, and shafts called an engine, and that doctor can tell me what the hell that rash is."

To be frank, just because you specialize in something to a degree where you are literally God in your field, doesn't mean you don't need to trade your skills to someone who might not be as good a whatever as you, but does better than you in another field. And there is always someone better than you. Even when you're the best. Since even the best don't know everything.

Background info: Writing and Painting Miniatures are one-off hobbies of mine that I'm trying to advance my skill in.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff