Welcome to Gaia! ::

Friendly Bloodsucker

I do find his works to be romantic, in that melancholy longing for the loss of love. Though his works are much more dark, tortured and macabre then i supose the cliche 'lovey dovey' or lusting romantic.
i have read the Oval Portrait, Annabel Lee, the Raven, the Masque of the Red Death, Alone, the Bells, For Annie, the City in the Sea, A Dream Within A Dream and Dream-Land. the Masque of Red Death for example has nothing to do with love or loss of love but rather an arrogant noblity that thought they could avoid death by locking the world out and yet it is Edgar Allan Poe's style of writing, his gothic settings and not just the subject matter that makes him romantic for me.

7,050 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Flatterer 200
Elfrida
I do find his works to be romantic, in that melancholy longing for the loss of love. Though his works are much more dark, tortured and macabre then i supose the cliche 'lovey dovey' or lusting romantic.
i have read the Oval Portrait, Annabel Lee, the Raven, the Masque of the Red Death, Alone, the Bells, For Annie, the City in the Sea, A Dream Within A Dream and Dream-Land. the Masque of Red Death for example has nothing to do with love or loss of love but rather an arrogant noblity that thought they could avoid death by locking the world out and yet it is Edgar Allan Poe's style of writing, his gothic settings and not just the subject matter that makes him romantic for me.

impresive
skank-o-box
arabian-princess-33
skank-o-box
off the bat,
No.
Reading his short stories, I'd have to say no,

but you know, in some of his poetry, there is a hint of sad longing where love once was.

but i would never read anything by him and go QUE ROMANTICO.

why .. i mean .. what makes you think so..

Pit and the Pendulum = no.

Annabel Lee = slightly. if you look reeeaaalll hard.

Look real hard? It seemed obvious to me.

It's romantic in the way that someone he loved died. It's not romantic like one of those shitty novels you find in the romance or teen section of a bookstore. In fact, his is much better.
How are you defining romance?

Friendly Bloodsucker

arabian-princess-33
Elfrida

impresive

thank you, i am just a fan of his works and i hope it helps you with your paper 3nodding
Pavlovian Stomp
This question is very important.

You're either talking about the Romanticism movement, or you're talking about "I love you, John," "I love you too, Mary. Let's elope!" and that sort of thing.

The latter, no. His genre is not romance, generally speaking. Poe is considered mystery/macabre in that aspect.

As far as the movement, yes. Poe is a part of the American Romantic movement, which focused on emphasizing emotion as an important part of an aesthetic experience.

7,050 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Flatterer 200
you guys are helping me alot .. thanks a lot
moreover, i'm concerned with your own idea about romance and being romantic
please keep up the good work .. 3nodding
it all depends on your view of romantic

Hallowed Shade

You know, it sounds to me a lot like you're asking us to write your essay for you, what with instructing people to spell it out clearly and all. Why don't you try reading Poe and then figure it out for yourself? Things like research papers need to be backed up with facts anyway, so none of these opinions matter. And facts need to be backed up by reputable sources, the best of which, of course, is Poe's works themselves.

7,050 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Flatterer 200
Navean
You know, it sounds to me a lot like you're asking us to write your essay for you, what with instructing people to spell it out clearly and all. Why don't you try reading Poe and then figure it out for yourself? Things like research papers need to be backed up with facts anyway, so none of these opinions matter. And facts need to be backed up by reputable sources, the best of which, of course, is Poe's works themselves.

first of all that's not my intention at all ... sorry if you're too clever to feel so ...
secind .. i'm tring to collect some data about what common people in common sense think about poe from their own view of romance ... ( not the literaly movement )
finally, if you don't feel like helping ... then please don't post any unnecessary comments ...
Thank you Mr. Know It ALL ... talk2hand
Eizoryu
Pavlovian Stomp
This question is very important.

You're either talking about the Romanticism movement, or you're talking about "I love you, John," "I love you too, Mary. Let's elope!" and that sort of thing.

The latter, no. His genre is not romance, generally speaking. Poe is considered mystery/macabre in that aspect.

As far as the movement, yes. Poe is a part of the American Romantic movement, which focused on emphasizing emotion as an important part of an aesthetic experience.

QTF

Wheezing Phantom

9,300 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Invisibility 100
Edgar Allen Poe is not romantic. He may have been apart of the American Romantic art movement, but he certainly wasn't trying to swoon and sweep anyone off their feet.

You may personally find some of his work to be romantic, but that's not the intention.
For instance Annabell Lee isn't romantic. If I told my lover to tell me a lovely story of romance and he read me that, I would sink into meloncholy. No sweet kisses or soft touches would escape me. It would just be sadness and reflection. Just as the narrator expresses.
It's beautiful. It's tragic.
It's LOST LOVE. Losing love isn't freakin' romantic...

However, some of you may have a different take on what you find to be romantic, and thusly Poe CAN be romantic but only due to personal taste.

Hallowed Shade

arabian-princess-33
Navean

first of all that's not my intention at all ... sorry if you're too clever to feel so ...

It has nothing to do with being "clever". Maybe skeptical. But really, if it looks like a duck and it quacks like a duck. It's not my fault that your wording and prompting feels this way.
Quote:
secind .. i'm tring to collect some data about what common people in common sense think about poe from their own view of romance ... ( not the literaly movement )

Doesn't matter at all for your paper, like I said. If it's just something you wanted to discuss, which is perfectly understandable, then don't bring the paper up at all and then tell people they're really helping you out; it's misleading.
Quote:
finally, if you don't feel like helping ... then please don't post any unnecessary comments ...

I'm giving you good advice about writing a research paper - i.e., that it needs to be backed up with facts from reputable sources and that the best place to find proof of whether he's romantic or not is within his own writing. If you don't want to see that as helpful because of a misinterpreted tone, then that's fine. I offer help, but whether it's accepted or appreciated or not is something which I can't control and thus don't invest any emotions in.

P.S. I'm not a mister.

7,050 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Flatterer 200
Navean
arabian-princess-33
Navean

It has nothing to do with being "clever". Maybe skeptical. But really, if it looks like a duck and it quacks like a duck. It's not my fault that your wording and prompting feels this way.
Quote:

Doesn't matter at all for your paper, like I said. If it's just something you wanted to discuss, which is perfectly understandable, then don't bring the paper up at all and then tell people they're really helping you out; it's misleading.
Quote:

I'm giving you good advice about writing a research paper - i.e., that it needs to be backed up with facts from reputable sources and that the best place to find proof of whether he's romantic or not is within his own writing. If you don't want to see that as helpful because of a misinterpreted tone, then that's fine. I offer help, but whether it's accepted or appreciated or not is something which I can't control and thus don't invest any emotions in.

P.S. I'm not a mister.

is that so ?!
well then, i'm sorry for using misleading words and way of asking ..
but i'm really trying to find out what you guys think of poe from your own view of romance ...
and i mentioned my paper cause i wanted everyone to take it seriously ...
researchpapers should be backed up with facts from reputable sources .. i know that ..
but as i said before .. i'm try to know more about what people think of him rather than literature ..
thank you so much for your trying to help me and here i apologize for not understanding that
i'm seriously sorry ... Ms. Know it all ..............
or is it Mrs. 3nodding
arabian-princess-33
hi there .. Wow .. how come that all of you guys have the name ... Mr. , Ms. and Mrs. Know it all ... fabulous ...

to start with .. i'm writing a research paper about edgar allan poe and what i'm asking for right now is your help ... so please be serious and answer my question properly .

as you first read one of poe's works, did you think, " Wow this man is so romantic .. just look at his style and words .. i wish the world was full of people like himself," if not ... then why? would please state your reasons ...

in other words.. did you considered him a romantic writer , if not then state your reasons ...
thank you so much ... 4laugh

I think Edgar Allen Poe is a romantic writer mostly because well i might have this worped differently because it's been a while since i've learned about romanticism.....well i do remember Poe being in the dark romantic category because of his obsession with the macabre (dark gruesome stuff like murder) hope this helps good luck on the paper.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff