Welcome to Gaia! ::

Original Borg

11,300 Points
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Partygoer 500
We all know by now that you have to be at least 13 to join gaia. The GCD drills this into our heads at every opportunity, or at least it does mine. ]:

But does that mean we view all age groups over 13 as equal? As one demographic that is Gaia?

I don't, I'm not gonna lie. sweatdrop
I don't do it maliciously, but I will subconsciously view every user younger than I am to be more naive or childish. I may not take them as seriously. (Which, I admit, is ridiculous, considering I keep getting older and the pool of people younger than I am is getting larger.)

Conversely, I usually respect older users--unless they're dumb as a box of flame shirts. D:
Although at some point there's a tint of creepiness in it. Maybe creepy is too strong of a word. If I meet someone in their late 30s and older I sometimes ask myself if they really belong on Gaia. I'm not gonna ridicule them for being here, but...

I think it's best if I just don't know people's ages here. It changes how I view them--whether I censor what I say because they're younger, or simply don't talk to them because I don't really relate to someone twice my age.

But anyway, that's just me. I'm not perfect. I try not to be too prejudiced, I just have to get to know people. c:

What about you?
BTW, in case you're curious, I'm 17. Does this change how you view me?

Elder

Our items are pixels, our ages are numbers.

You and I personally have talked Das and I'm well older than you. I know alot of other people where they or I are the older. Makes no difference. As long as we all get along and no one's trying to make anyone uncomfortable it works.

Mega Noob

I...don't even remember how old I am sometimes. Who am I to judge someone who is older or younger than me to have fun on an awesome site?

Gaia is free for all! It's hella cool! surprised

Golden Girl

25,150 Points
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150
  • Pie For All! 300
  • Pie Scarface 150
Yeah, I do tend to view younger users differently. It's especially bad in other forums, where the young'uns don't always act like they have the mental capacity to use the internet, but I'm generally impressed by the kids in the GCD. I would never have been able to keep up with a fast-paced discussion the way some of the 14 and 15 year olds here do.

Generally though, if they're out of high school I treat them like I would treat someone closer to my own age.

Original Borg

11,300 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Partygoer 500
Archon of Aegis

You and I personally have talked Das and I'm well older than you. I know alot of other people where they or I are the older. Makes no difference. As long as we all get along and no one's trying to make anyone uncomfortable it works.
Oh yeah! 8D
Well our band of misfits has always been impervious to my judgements. I guess I'm a bit of a giant freaking hypocrite. gonk

Elder

DC-Chan
I...don't even remember how old I am sometimes. Who am I to judge someone who is older or younger than me to have fun on an awesome site?

Don't you hate those moments where you get asked and half to sort through your head about it? xd

Elder

Das Portemonnaie
Archon of Aegis

Oh yeah! 8D
Well our band of misfits has always been impervious to my judgements. I guess I'm a bit of a giant freaking hypocrite. gonk
I'm still 7 years away from you asking if I should still be here so I think we'll be cool haha.

Mega Noob

Archon of Aegis
DC-Chan

Don't you hate those moments where you get asked and half to sort through your head about it? xd

It always happens when I'm buying alcohol! Even after I give them my driver's license, I stammer around my age and always look really confused about my age. They always think I'm lying until they scan it with the machine and it goes through okay. sweatdrop
I categorize people based on their MENTAL age, not their physical one. If you act like a toddler, I'll treat you like a toddler, even if you're 49. If you're extremely mature, but not uptight, you'll be placed in the mid-20s to mid-30s, even if you were, say, not exactly 13 yet <.<

Magical Conventioneer

7,300 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Conversationalist 100
I don't really view users by their age, I view them more by their posts, and the attitudes/personality within the posts.

I know a lot of people in the GCD (probably most GCDers) are older than me, but that doesn't make me uncomfortable to post here like everyone else.
I talk to users based on their attitudes, or how they talk to others, not their ages.

(BTW, I'm 15. I'm still often considered a youngin' all around Gaia)
There are only 2 times I think about someone's age on gaia.
1. Someone is acting INCREDIBLY childish.
2. Creepy pms. I always assume it's a 80 year old man in a thong who PMs me telling me my avatar is sexy.

Chatty Lunatic

7,100 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Nerd 50
  • Jolly Roger 50
I don't really respect/disrespect users based on age but I admit to thinking people are too old for gaia every once in a while. But then I remember Gaia is just a big fancy forum and that it really isn't that "creepy" as you said. XD (Once again for lack of a better word.)

I mostly judge HARSHLY on attitudes of posts.

Sugary Sweetheart

✰✰✰
    i don't really judge by age (except for certain obvious things like... if it's a small child, don't expect them to be really that mature or something), online or off. i've met a lot of people around my age who are intelligent and i have met people older than me who.. quite honestly, aren't that mature. i just try to judge by what they actually say/act like.

and i actually talk to people of many different ages online. i've had friendly conversations with 40 year olds. i know i know i should be weary of ***** (and some of the 20 year olds i've talked to are obviously just trying to get with me ._.) but i don't really think of that. just because an older person is on the internet doesn't mean they're a *****]

Original Borg

11,300 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Partygoer 500
Pistol Bunny
2. Creepy pms. I always assume it's a 80 year old man in a thong who PMs me telling me my avatar is sexy.
It is. Every time. An 80 year old man. Always. surprised

Slumbering Tengu

Funny topic to come up due to recent events

Recently one of our friends on our hangout thread just turned 13. Something we never knew till now. She'd been with us for about half a year and she could have been on Gaia long before we met her. We had always treated her like one of us. She never acted childish or immature. Even after we found out our opinion didn't change. We'll continue to treat her like we always have.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff