Welcome to Gaia! ::

Tipsy Treater

10,550 Points
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
User Image

So I lingered in to the Exchange today to see what people were
selling and offering for high priced items now and days and while I was lurking around I stumbled
in to a thread and two users were talking about how yesterday there was a 'mass hacking' in the
Exchange.
I guess many older users had been a target of some kind of hack.
And so I decided I'd bring it up to the GCD,
What do you think of this?
Do you think that something like this happens a lot?
Were any of you aware of this?

Note:
I do realize that acctual hacking is not common on Gaia and it is a fact that most 'hackings' are scams but as I was reading through others posts it legitimately seemed like these passwords were attained some other way other then a phishing scam.
I heard about this Yesterday as well. I am just glad I do not go there.
I didn't hear about this. But that's not a real surprise.

Kinda of scary D:

Angelic Lunatic

41,275 Points
  • Moonlight Valkyrie 500
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Fantastic Fifteen 100
This is one of the reasons why I hardly ever go to the gaia exchange...and I didn't hear about this.

Indulgent Waffles

Oh dear. surprised I was reading up on a topic in the GCD about if you're prone to scammers, or something like that.

This is new, because I expected most users in the exchange to be careful about their passwords, especially ones that sell/trade high-profile items.

6,750 Points
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • Clambake 200
User Image
I'd like to say that people don't get hacked, they get scammed but.... The Exchange? I'm sure they're smart enough to know how to be careful with their account.

Chatty Lunatic

7,100 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Nerd 50
  • Jolly Roger 50
Woah they were actually hacked? Not scammed? gonk I didn't hear a thing about this.
That is scary. I think I'll just stick to selling in the MP. XD
This is kinda scary, usually only newbs/noobs get "hacked." (scammed.)
You'd think exchangers would be more careful.

Liberal Bloodsucker

10,950 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
Mythril Dragonfly
User Image
I'd like to say that people don't get hacked, they get scammed but.... The Exchange? I'm sure they're smart enough to know how to be careful with their account.

You can get hacked. There is software that 'logs into' gaia trying random usernames and common words like 'ichigo' and 'naruto123'. That's why it's safest to have multiple words in your password. I'm an idiot that doesn't know how to read.

It's also common for scammers to use old 2003-2005 accounts that are blank (no avatar) give some sob story about how they got scammed in the exchange once and are being careful so you send the money and they send the item, after they get the money. But I did think people were smarter now. All my Exchange info is a few years old.

Divine Muse

I heard a lot of the venders in a guild I am in were hacked and these are not the type to have been fooled by a pop up scam attempt.

They are saying it was a Keylogger.

Be extremely careful of outside links from Gaia or you could get a keylogger on your computer.

Liberal Citizen

10,700 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
Cherry It
Mythril Dragonfly
User Image

You can get hacked. There is software that 'logs into' gaia trying random usernames and common words like 'ichigo' and 'naruto123'. That's why it's safest to have multiple words in your password. I'm an idiot that doesn't know how to read.

It's also common for scammers to use old 2003-2005 accounts that are blank (no avatar) give some sob story about how they got scammed in the exchange once and are being careful so you send the money and they send the item, after they get the money. But I did think people were smarter now. All my Exchange info is a few years old.

Brute forcing doesn't work on gaia because after a certain amount of mess ups it locks you out. I think they probably got reverted by giving out there email addresses. But I tried to say that and they act like assholes. Alot of exchangers I have met are stuck up. They think some super hacker wasted his time going threw hacking peoples accounts knowing that the items and money can be traced.

6,450 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Profitable 100
  • Bidding War 100
Jayce Reinhardt
I heard a lot of the venders in a guild I am in were hacked and these are not the type to have been fooled by a pop up scam attempt.

They are saying it was a Keylogger.

Be extremely careful of outside links from Gaia or you could get a keylogger on your computer.

^This, alot of the very wealthy gaians were targeted.

Elder

people are stupid. they click on the wrong links and they sometimes lie to make up for the fact they they could have honestly given away their password by total accident.

I hardly go to the exchange to sell, but i tend to roam over there just to look.

still, we've all had annoying people try to scam us at one point or another. you just need to read carefully and see.
Sneak Chamber
people are stupid. they click on the wrong links and they sometimes lie to make up for the fact they they could have honestly given away their password by total accident.

I hardly go to the exchange to sell, but i tend to roam over there just to look.

still, we've all had annoying people try to scam us at one point or another. you just need to read carefully and see.

Definitely this.
I'm glad I'm not a 'very wealthy' gaian then. gonk

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas