Welcome to Gaia! ::

So lets say that somebody is cutting themselves. but not really for the feeling of the pain or anything. Why would someone make that choice? And could it be caused by another possibly undiagnosed illness or is there a diagnosis for such behavior as cutting oneself for no apparent reason?

Shy Genius

5,500 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Member 100
My first thought was masochism, but if it's not for pleasure then... yeah, rules my idea out.
Are you sure it's not for attention? or Borderline Personality? This person cuts and feels no release whatsoever?

Quotable Noob

4,250 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Tipsy 100
  • Hygienic 200
There are many reasons why people self-harm, e.g. to punish themselves or to distract them from their mental anguish. I would be surprised if people cut solely to feel pain.
It could be done artistically, sexually or just for the general pleasure of the feeling (if they find pleasure in it).

nextjune's King

Romantic Paradox

37,400 Points
  • Devoted Fortune Seeker 400
  • Loving Fortune Seeker 250
  • Romantic Fortune Seeker 100
missie mellie
My first thought was masochism, but if it's not for pleasure then... yeah, rules my idea out.

You kind of stole my post style.

Shy Genius

5,500 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Member 100
K i n g X u m o t - XVI
missie mellie

You kind of stole my post style.

Oh?

Cute Transform

16,250 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Marathon 300
  • Full closet 200
I would say subconscious anguish or sadness. You may not feel uplifted by it, but it could possibly be something that is affecting your subconscious that has physical repercussions.

Dapper Dabbler

Along with what others suggested... if the person started for a reason and is now doing it for no apparent reason, it could be an addictive behavior. Self-harm often can become a behavioral addiction, so the person feels a compulsion to perform it even in the absence of desire.

Sanguarian Muffin's Significant Otter

Dapper Dabbler

There are a lot of reasons someone could be self-harming.

It can also become both a psychological addiction and a physical addiction ((becoming addicted to the endorphins etc. released during the act)). So...yeah.

Tipsy Lunatic

From personal experience, there's always the idea of outward expression. Even if you don't feel anything from the self harm itself, the evidence is physically there, and remains as a reflections of inner emotions. Also, as was mentioned before- addiction is definitely a possibility.

I guess.

I don't really know how to word it to have it make perfect sense. But the ideas are there, mostly.

Liberal Sophomore

There are many, many different reasons for someone to self-harm, not including the wanting to feel pain reason.

A lot of time self-harm tends to be a coping mechanism. Can't feel? hurt until you do. You'll feel something. Feel too much? Hurt until you don't. Stressed, angry, sad? Hurt until you're relaxed (endorphins).

In my psychology class we discussed that a lot of the time, self-harm isn't a factor of necessarily wanting to just feel pain. There are a lot of other factors that are involved in it. Some who self-harm don't even like the pain, but it's a method to cope. An unhealthy method, but a method.

Quotable Noob

Some people think scars are pretty.

Invisible Friend

12,515 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Brandisher 100
It could be stress relief, Masochism, boredum, wanting attention, or hoping for someone to care or notice.
I do it for major stress relief, seeing as I have epilepsy and don't want to have seizures due to depression or stress.

High-functioning Counselor

17,450 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Alchemy Level 3 100
  • Tycoon 200
I have yet to check if self injury was officially added to the new DSM-V but it does appear both by itself with no other mental diagnosis and with specific diagnosis.

Most commonly self injury is a way to regulate the mood...either by being able to "feel" something of by turning emotional pain into physical pain which is usually easier to cope with.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff