Welcome to Gaia! ::

Shameless Giver

7,150 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • Autobiographer 200
So, a while back I was thinking about an interesting "fear" I have about drinking alcohol(long story) and I learned that there's actually a name for it. Dipsophobia.

I didn't really know what to make of it so I did some more research on it and found that people woth dipsophobia experience anxiety about addiction to alcohol and the effect this addiction can have on their body.

SO, I was just wondering what your opinions about this phobia, and others, were, and if you have any interesting phobias you would like top discuss, it's welcome smile

Note: I'll be a Psychology major this fall, and the abnormal category really fascinates me since I want to work with people who have mental disorders, addictions, etc. smile

Adored Admirer

I never heard of it until now.

I suppose I'm an astraphobe. I don't mind lightning when I'm indoors.
GOATS. emotion_donotwant

I had a bad experience with one at a county fair. I was around seven years old and left alone in the petting zoo surrounded by goats. They didn't DO anything which is what scared me the most. Then one blinked and I started crying bloody murder.

I know it's silly but I now HATE goats and refuse to go anywhere near one.

I also have a fear of heights but that's less irrational. I'm fine in roller coasters and what not but cliffs, edges or railings freak me out.

Shameless Giver

7,150 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • Autobiographer 200
Hunny Bunny Beauty
GOATS. emotion_donotwant

I had a bad experience with one at a county fair. I was around seven years old and left alone in the petting zoo surrounded by goats. They didn't DO anything which is what scared me the most. Then one blinked and I started crying bloody murder.

I also have a fear of heights but that's less irrational. I'm fine in roller coasters and what not but cliffs, edges or railings freak me out.

I honestly never heard of anyone being scared of goats, but the way they just look is kinda creepy sweatdrop Is there like a phobia name for it?

Shameless Giver

7,150 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • Autobiographer 200
Pseudo-Onkelos

It's pretty interesting...a lot of times people fear becoming addicted more than the alcohol..which is understandable if someone comes from a family with an alcoholic in it.

I've never heard of astraphobia before though.

Adored Admirer

GuardGirlForLife
Pseudo-Onkelos

It's pretty interesting...a lot of times people fear becoming addicted more than the alcohol..which is understandable if someone comes from a family with an alcoholic in it.

If lightning traveled much slower than Mach 182, I probably wouldn't be afraid. It's what it can do that I'm afraid of.

Shameless Giver

7,150 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • Autobiographer 200
Pseudo-Onkelos
GuardGirlForLife
Pseudo-Onkelos

If lightning traveled much slower than Mach 182, I probably wouldn't be afraid. It's what it can do that I'm afraid of.

eek good point. especially hearing about houses that were struck by lightning in my hometown this past week....
GuardGirlForLife
Hunny Bunny Beauty
GOATS. emotion_donotwant

I honestly never heard of anyone being scared of goats, but the way they just look is kinda creepy sweatdrop Is there like a phobia name for it?

Not that I know of. I've heard of zoophilia being used but that just seems to be 'fear of animals in general', which I don't have.
Kalidah
Hunny Bunny Beauty

Really it wasn't the goats that scared you, so much as it was their creepy gentled behavior, right?

Replace the goats with any animal or even a group of people in that situation, and i think it would still be a frightening experience.

Probably. I think it was cause they blinked sideways or something.

If it was rabbits or cats or dogs, I'd understand cause I'm familiar with those animals.

But that was my first time being around goats and it was weird.

Shameless Giver

7,150 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • Autobiographer 200
Kalidah
GuardGirlForLife

Do you fear other controlled substances, or addictions? Is it an irrational fear, or would you say personally that there are specific reasons for your dipsophobia?

An interesting fear that I think gets overlooked the most is pronoia, which is an inversion of paranoia. Fear that there are forces conspiring to assist you. Its not often you find someone who believes the world is on their side, and is terrified.

It's more the addictions haha. Coming from an alcoholic, drug addicted father, it really put the negative side into my head about that kind of stuff. Now I'm not going to go do drugs and get drunk just to "confront my fear." I just plan on slowly easing into acceptable drinking, and the thought of snorting or smoking something just sounds unappealing to me...

I've never heard of that before honestly, but I can't imagine someone being terrified from the world conspiring to help them.
Hunny Bunny Beauty
Not that I know of. I've heard of zoophilia being used but that just seems to be 'fear of animals in general', which I don't have.

Zoophilia is the sexual preference for animals, not a phobia of any kind.
CH1YO
Hunny Bunny Beauty

Oh, that's right.

Zoophobia then? I never heard of a specific word for 'goat fear'.
Hunny Bunny Beauty
CH1YO
Hunny Bunny Beauty

Oh, that's right.

Zoophobia then? I never heard of a specific word for 'goat fear'.

That would be capraphobia.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces