Welcome to Gaia! ::

Dapper Noob

It has always been a wonder to me of how mysterious the mental condition, schizophrenia, has came to be. Many people develops schizophrenia by age, and some in rare occasions are naturally born with it. Many takes it as a mental illness that requires psychiatric treatments, such as medication, shock treatment, anything they have available for treating schizophrenia.

The naturally born, who suffers from schizophrenia as an infant, is it not strange that they could hear voices with unusual vocabulary that even a child wouldn't understand?

It came to my attention after a schizophrenic boy that had suicidal thoughts at the age of 4, who is now ten and has been brought to attention on February of this year and has not left my mind since. They have given the boy many medications for his "mental illness", but it seems none is to be working with his brain chemicals, or that it doesn't respond to it at all.

Here was the headline : http://www.cnn.com/2014/02/10/health/lah-gianni-story/

From a religious point of view, many religious people would believe that it would be the cause of "demonic possessions".

But I have not gotten far into the case and has not studied the human mind. I would like to hear opinions and statements from other people and argue whether his case was due to the cause of according to human Psychology, a mental illness, or an actual religious dealing.

Mewling Consumer

16,100 Points
  • Alchemy Level 3 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Hive Mind 200
Our treatments of it are far from specific to the condition and don't work so well for certain symptoms. We know a lot about how it develops and its brain differences but do not know how to use that in treatment very well. Our understanding of how to treat children with psychoses is even more lacking than the very limited treatment for adults. Doctors often guess what prescription will work best out of a handful of things that have been proven to work for many but not all patients.

Also read the article-the boy didn't kill himself at age 4, he merely had serious suicidal thoughts then. He is 10 years old now. Funny thing is that in cases of child onset that I hear about a lot of hallucinations that aren't verbal, but tactile or visual and the verbal ones seem pretty simple and to match the kids' vocabulary.

Distinct Genius

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
schizophrenia is something youre born with (right?)
and i dont think people are born possessed
lmfao
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Dedicated Gaian

12,725 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Friendly 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
You have stated that you are taking medications and they are not working...
You have to take time to get the medications adjusted properly. Some medications work for some people and others not.

I have Paranoid Schizophrenia and have had it for pretty much my whole life. I started with some medications and they did not do well with me so my psychiatrist adjusted the dose and switched some medications. It's not easy, trust me, I know.

Hang in there and be patent with your doctor. Things will be much better when you are on proper medications.

Best of luck, and if you ever need to talk don't hesitate to pm me.

Sparkly Prophet

10,275 Points
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Timid 100
Your username made me giggle.

Anyway, I think that sometimes people are just made up differently, and their brains are wired in a certain way. I feel like blaming a mental illness on "demonic possession" is sort of a way to just try to explain something we don't understand. It's like how ancient egyptians needed Gods and Goddesses to explain weather patterns/ natural disasters/ etc. Its something we don't really quite understand. The social stigma around schizophrenia doesnt really help much either.... I think our science is becoming more advanced, and able to help people better, but I really don't think demons are just hanging out, deciding to 'posses' people. Simply because someone believes in a certain religion, shouldnt mean they are ignorant enough to blame everything on some unseen force. Sometimes peoples minds can get 'sick'.

Dapper Noob

AngelsDreadedFear
You have stated that you are taking medications and they are not working...
You have to take time to get the medications adjusted properly. Some medications work for some people and others not.

I have Paranoid Schizophrenia and have had it for pretty much my whole life. I started with some medications and they did not do well with me so my psychiatrist adjusted the dose and switched some medications. It's not easy, trust me, I know.

Hang in there and be patent with your doctor. Things will be much better when you are on proper medications.

Best of luck, and if you ever need to talk don't hesitate to pm me.

Oh no, I am not at all suffering from Schizophrenia of any sort, but I am interested in hearing personal stories from anyone who is or know of someone that has this condition. Each one I read is quite interesting,
The belief that schizophrenia is a religious phenomenon is absolutely asinine. Schizophrenia is a recognizable medical condition dealing with the chemicals in the brain. The fact that people see and hear things is because of these chemical imbalances. Without the imbalance the person does not see or hear things.

Super Cat

14,875 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Heckler 50
  • Ultimate Player 200
Well there's evidence of chemical differences between schizophrenics and non-schizophrenics,
and the fact that it interferes with normal living qualifies it for "mental illness" status.

That said, I guess you can't rule out religious significance until you rule out religion in general (i.e. prove all religion is wrong),
which in my understanding is not possible.
In another culture, schizophrenics may be / have been considered shamans or something similar.
Schizophrenia can be VERY different for different people, and many people have difficulties finding a medication that works because of this. It's certainly nothing supernatural.

However, it's interesting that people bring up religion and schizophrenia as many schizophrenics latch onto religion in their delusions. For example, my brother believes many people in his life to be the reincarnations of the apostles and sees religious-based symbolism in everything. When he was at his lowest self-esteem-wise he genuinely believed he was the earthly body for the devil.

It's no wonder so many exorcisms were performed on schizophrenics back in the day.

Vermillion Star

The Chronic Masturbator
It has always been a wonder to me of how mysterious the mental condition, schizophrenia, has came to be. Many people develops schizophrenia by age, and some in rare occasions are naturally born with it. Many takes it as a mental illness that requires psychiatric treatments, such as medication, shock treatment, anything they have available for treating schizophrenia.

The naturally born, who suffers from schizophrenia as an infant, is it not strange that they could hear voices with unusual vocabulary that even a child wouldn't understand?

It came to my attention after a schizophrenic boy that had suicidal thoughts at the age of 4, who is now ten and has been brought to attention on February of this year and has not left my mind since. They have given the boy many medications for his "mental illness", but it seems none is to be working with his brain chemicals, or that it doesn't respond to it at all.

Here was the headline : http://www.cnn.com/2014/02/10/health/lah-gianni-story/

From a religious point of view, many religious people would believe that it would be the cause of "demonic possessions".

But I have not gotten far into the case and has not studied the human mind. I would like to hear opinions and statements from other people and argue whether his case was due to the cause of according to human Psychology, a mental illness, or an actual religious dealing.

Schizophernia is actually a chemical imbalance of the brain and there are five types auditory, hallucinatory, catatonic, paranoia, and disorganized. The only one in which a person can function in society if paranoia if it is mild, this requires some medication and regular therapy, and thats it. others are more serious and usually unviolet yet their delusions can get them into trouble. Schizophernia is genetic and is only genetic yuo can't get just get it if your family doesn't have a history of it and if you think you do then most likly your suffering from psychosis. Schizopherina is triggered during the early to mid 20s by stress it very rare that before or after that age group you get schizphernia.
first and always try health, for instance something as common as a long term lack of sleep or sunlight can cause similar symptoms sometimes.

So exercise, sleep, water, diet, sunlight, make sure that s**t is normal. Reduce caffeine.

Then religion can actually add fervor to the mix or just focus their obsession on something else, it could help alittle, but Im not really sure the material in myths is kosher enough. Like if they read revelations they are likely to get more symptoms with more grotesque things they wouldnt have thought of otherwise. Then worse, they'll get a superiority complex or savior, or persecution complex.

Meds are good too however, make sure they 1 dont mix meds 2 dont up the dose once its fine, if anything decrease the dose to ween them off of it. Some doctors can ******** up their patients also trying too many meds in too little amount of time

Proxy Genius

11,300 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Partygoer 500
I've consider myself (relatively) lucky to never have had any experience with schizophrenia, though I have had a few psychotic episodes due to my BPD and some circumstances of extreme anxiety. I don't really know much about what they go through but I feel like having to live like that, or even dealing with it more often than very very rarely would be a nightmare.

then again I'm a clinical psychopath. so I can't expect my experience to not be biased or fundamentally different. or i might just be lying.

:/

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces