Welcome to Gaia! ::

I was reading through some psychological disorders and stumbled upon reading about Schizophrenia and such. However I have a problem understanding one of the symptoms and was wondering if someone here could help me understand.

This confusion comes with the hallucinations and hearing things that aren't there.

Let's say, if a person was around another person, and they felt like they knew what they were thinking and were conjuring up ideas in their head about what they were thinking, without actually hearing them think it, would this be counted towards Schizophrenia? Or would this be counted as paranoia instead?

If it were Schizophrenia, would this count or would it rather be that they actually heard their thoughts instead of speaking their thoughts in their head?

For example, let's say someone was criticizing one's work, and they started accusing them of thinking, doing, or saying something they didn't intend or didn't say, without actually hearing it. Is that what it's talking about? Or is this another thing entirely?

And lastly, does feeling like you're being watched count towards this as well?

Thank you.
Sounds more like persecutory/paranoid delusions than hallucinations.

Anxious Genius

There's also paranoid schizophrenia.

That being said I only have a small understanding of schizophrenia. I'm not interested in the psychiatric side of nursing, but I have a boyfriend and grandfather on the schizo spectrum.

Witty Lunatic

6,350 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Flatterer 200
TranzTeKk
I was reading through some psychological disorders and stumbled upon reading about Schizophrenia and such. However I have a problem understanding one of the symptoms and was wondering if someone here could help me understand.

This confusion comes with the hallucinations and hearing things that aren't there.

Let's say, if a person was around another person, and they felt like they knew what they were thinking and were conjuring up ideas in their head about what they were thinking, without actually hearing them think it, would this be counted towards Schizophrenia? Or would this be counted as paranoia instead?

That would be a thought broadcasting delusion, which is a symptom of schizophrenia. So, yes, it would be "counted" but it's not a hallucination.

Quote:
If it were Schizophrenia, would this count or would it rather be that they actually heard their thoughts instead of speaking their thoughts in their head?

For example, let's say someone was criticizing one's work, and they started accusing them of thinking, doing, or saying something they didn't intend or didn't say, without actually hearing it. Is that what it's talking about? Or is this another thing entirely?

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by your question. You are being very unclear, but I'll try to explain.

Schizophrenia is a spectrum disorder that can feature positive symptoms (which includes both delusions and hallucinations) and negative symptoms. Having hallucinations does not mean you have schizophrenia, but it is a symptom. And you can have schizophrenia without ever having a real hallucination. There are many forms of the disorder.

Auditory hallucinations are just like hearing voices (or other sounds) that are actually there, except they aren't. It's not "hearing" your thoughts in your head. It's perceived as an actual external sound.

Quote:

This would be a form of paranoia, which is a delusion. So yes, it "counts" towards a schizophrenia diagnosis, but it is not a hallucination.

Conservative Explorer

As a girl with schizophrenia explained to me, hallucinations are purely tricks on the senses. Like, smelling bacon all day long when there is none cooking, or randomly hearing a song all the time. Actually smelling and hearing things, not like how most of us experience phantom sensations when we remember what they're like.

I'd say assuming somebody thinking ill things of you or feeling watched falls more under the "paranoid" end of schizophrenia.

High-functioning Counselor

17,450 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Alchemy Level 3 100
  • Tycoon 200
TranzTeKk

Yes this is still a symptom of schizophrenia. However this would be consider more a delusion than a hallucination. Delusions are false beliefs whereas hallucinations are false sensory perception.
TranzTeKk

Most people who hear voices (hallucination) seem to hear them outside of themselves. However this probably varies between individuals.
TranzTeKk

That would probably be delusional thinking, which is a symptom of schizophrenia, however extreme stress/high emotions and other mental illness can result in this type of delusion as well. In schizophrenia a person typically believes these things even when calm. Some one who is upset and angry might realize the irrational thinking after calming down.
TranzTeKk

It can be a paranoid delusion. However it is not uncommon for someone to hear their name occasionally when no one said it...or occasionally have a feeling of being watched (like when more stressed or after watching a creepy movie) This does not necessarily indicate a mental disorder.

AnimeArtist29's Pardner

Aged Teenager

14,750 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Partygoer 500
I think this is a very difficult thing to answer, regarding today when a lot of people are falsely accusing themselves as having psychotic disorders such as schizophrenia.

Yes you can find the symptoms as easily as looking it up or getting an amazing set answer by Ellithium, but the fact that a lot of people are making up stories of what happens to them with their "schizophrenia" is also another topic. Sorry for those who actually experience it.

Those who falsify it usually define it as just happening, as if being possessed by a ghost or something, which is somewhat related to the actual symptom. Yet it isn't true at all, since hallucinations and noises occur either from a person's paranoia or mental construction (the mind involuntarily forces the person to think of)

Also, hallucinations and noises are not supposed to be as vivid and clear to a person as someone would describe, but rather magnified and hyper-visualized.

Too tired to explain more sweatdrop

Dedicated Gaian

12,725 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Friendly 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
I think you are referring to Paranoid Schizophrenia. I have it so I know a lot on this issue. I have three types of hallucinations, Auditory: Sound, Tactile: Touch. and Visual: Sight. I also have delusion of grandure. I talked with my therapist one day and she told me that hallucinations are real...just to the person experiencing it. So, if I were to say that I heard a door slam when I am next to someone and I as if they heard it and they say no, then it is real...just to me. That goes with all hallucinations. If you need more information, please don't hesitate to pm me.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff