Welcome to Gaia! ::

Omnipresent Vampire

11,550 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Cash Grabber 500
  • Bunny Spotter 50
So it's kind of come to my attention that people with anger issues are quite possibly the only group of people who suffer from a mental issue and receive no sympathy or awareness.

You see all kinds of other issues out there.
Depression, bipolar, social anxiety, ADHD, etc.
Yet people who struggle with their anger management go completely unnoticed.

I think that perhaps that may be part of the problem.
People will sit and defend these other illnesses, saying things like, "You can't just tell them to get over it because it doesn't work like that."
The same principles apply to anger.
Lack of sympathy makes it worse.
They feel like nobody cares about them, but rather than becoming sad, they become angry.

So why is it that these people get no sympathy?
They can be jerks when they're upset, yes, but I've known people with other issues that can be jerks too, just in a different way.
Rather than blowing up on someone, they'll be passive aggressive or they'll sit and tell you how bad their problems are to try to make you feel guilty and sorry for them.
It's just as bad as yelling, in my opinion.

Quotable Sophomore

3,050 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • First step to fame 200
  • Dressed Up 200
Tealinia
So it's kind of come to my attention that people with anger issues are quite possibly the only group of people who suffer from a mental issue and receive no sympathy or awareness.

You see all kinds of other issues out there.
Depression, bipolar, social anxiety, ADHD, etc.
Yet people who struggle with their anger management go completely unnoticed.

I think that perhaps that may be part of the problem.
People will sit and defend these other illnesses, saying things like, "You can't just tell them to get over it because it doesn't work like that."
The same principles apply to anger.
Lack of sympathy makes it worse.
They feel like nobody cares about them, but rather than becoming sad, they become angry.

So why is it that these people get no sympathy?
They can be jerks when they're upset, yes, but I've known people with other issues that can be jerks too, just in a different way.
Rather than blowing up on someone, they'll be passive aggressive or they'll sit and tell you how bad their problems are to try to make you feel guilty and sorry for them.

Having been hospitalized a few times, people with anger issues tend to have an untreated mental illness. Having anger issues is a disorder in itself.

Yet, a lot of people with anger issues probably blame themselves, so they don't receive help to get a diagnosis, which is probably why people have a lack of sympathy for people with anger issues.

For me, I do have sympathy because I realize there is something wrong with someone who experiences chronic anger.

Sparkly Shapeshifter

I would guess if they do not get sympathy, it's because they hurt other people when they're having an episode. It's difficult to sympathize with someone who is harming you.

Personally, I can have sympathy for someone with anger management issues. I cannot if they're aware of it, but do nothing to understand it and find the tools which will help with management.

Dedicated Gaian

12,725 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Friendly 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
I am in college now but in High School I went to a school that focuses on mental issues. In 8th grade I dropped out of school and was out for half a year. My parents got me into a private school that deals with all mental issues. I went there because yes, I have mental issues. However, there were many students that did and probably still do have anger issues. They were being medicated but they did not seem to be on the right fit yet(at that time). However, I will admit that I had a few anger issues due to a wrong combination of medications. My medications were altered and the anger issues left. So in some ways I know what it is like and it is hell. I could not control it and neither could the other students that did have anger issues. I am sure that those students could live a successful life with the right medications to control their anger, So yes, I do believe that these anger issues are a type of mental disorder, They just need to be understood and helped, I just hope they find peace.

Girl-Crazy Lunatic

10,750 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Timid 100
  • Clambake 200
Tragonbell
I would guess if they do not get sympathy, it's because they hurt other people when they're having an episode. It's difficult to sympathize with someone who is harming you.

Personally, I can have sympathy for someone with anger management issues. I cannot if they're aware of it, but do nothing to understand it and find the tools which will help with management.
This was my first thought too. I grew up around two parents who both had terrible success managing their anger, and the longer my younger brother and sister stay at their house, I see it oozing off onto them. There's always more holes in the wall whenever I visit. I'd probably sympathize with them more if I hadn't wound up in the crossfire so often. I can have sympathy and compassion for people with anger issues who I don't know, but when those anger issues have directly hurt me, it's hard to be as graceful. neutral

Tealinia

Not for me. I shut down almost instantly if I hear yelling around me. Especially if it's directed at me.

Sparkly Shapeshifter

Nitroglycerific Rainbow
Tragonbell

This was my first thought too. I grew up around two parents who both had terrible success managing their anger, and the longer my younger brother and sister stay at their house, I see it oozing off onto them. There's always more holes in the wall whenever I visit. I'd probably sympathize with them more if I hadn't wound up in the crossfire so often. I can have sympathy and compassion for people with anger issues who I don't know, but when those anger issues have directly hurt me, it's hard to be as graceful. neutral

👊

Soft Doughnut's Pardner

Astounding Loiterer

Purely anecdotal
But when I was having issues with anger management I got plenty of sympathy from the surrounding adults, and was sent to several anger management classes to learn to deal with it.

Of course that may have been because I was a child

But theres my two cents.

Quotable Lunatic

8,100 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
I work in a drop-in mental heath centre, and I do have clients with anger issues from time to time - everything from people who punch pillows, to people who punch their partners. Help is available for people with anger issues, but unfortunately, it can be hard to know where to look for it.

I think there's more stigma surrounding anger issues than other forms of mental illness because it's hard to say "I understand where you're coming from" or "it's not your fault" when you are dealing with someone who potentially hurts other people. That doesn't mean people with anger issues don't deserve help, it just means that they unfortunately have more obstacles in their way. Perhaps with increased awareness of mental health, we'll see more discussion and understanding of these issues.

Widow

Tipsy Dog

I have yet to receive sympathy for my bipolar, depression, add, anxiety, so on. People with mental illness don't get very much support anyway. Just like with anxiety or depression, people assume, 'well we all been depressed and anxious so the actual disorders must be manageable.' The same applies for anger. I have anger issue too, I've put in holes in the walls, broke things, hurt the dog. It's hard to have compassion for adults who behave this way. However, my doctor has prescribed me medication that helps and therapy works really well. Both my doctor and therapist are open and understanding about it.

To say people with anger issues receive no support or sympathy is ridiculous. I'd even argue there is far less stigma surrounding anger disorders compared to other disorders.

Tipsy Gaian

it's because it's not a cute or ~*~*~romantic~*~*~ problem. it creates real issues. depression is looked up to by a ******** ton of people for some reason because "oh, it's just soo deep" and then things like anxiety, ADHD/ADD, OCD, etc. are seen as quirky and cute. (honestly, i don't think bipolar disordered people receive a lot of sympathy)

when you move into the disorders that cause huge problems in relationships/friendships (personality disorders, schizophrenia, psychosis, etc), there's a LOT of blame placed on the sufferers. i have HPD and one of the big big things of that is that i'm very attention seeking. people say they're so open and so there for people who are neuro-divergent, yet they get mad at me for passive-aggressively posting on tumblr and call me an "attention whore." another part of HPD is intense, but shallow emotions. my partner says they support me fully, but when i get furious over the smallest thing, they get right into a fight w/ me. they don't try to calm me down or anything. they don't try to recognize that my emotions are superficial, but intensely felt.

people say they support the people who suffer from these problems, but they never understand how these problems manifest. they think you're just being a jerk, when no, your anger stems from the problem they claim to support.

Phantom

There isn't any sympathy for it because anger issues really only have one symptom:

expressed anger.

Mental disorders may make people feel a certain way but do not particularly control their actions. All actions are still based on will and the choices a person makes(though are, of course, influenced by their emotions). The only real way to tell if a person has anger issues is for them to lash out in anger in a public setting. That action itself, I find, is seen as disgraceful and unwanted. In that same light, people with anger issues who express themselves freely often hurt people emotionally and in some extreme cases, physically.

Big Duck

trigger police
it's because it's not a cute or ~*~*~romantic~*~*~ problem. it creates real issues. depression is looked up to by a ******** ton of people for some reason because "oh, it's just soo deep" and then things like anxiety, ADHD/ADD, OCD, etc. are seen as quirky and cute. (honestly, i don't think bipolar disordered people receive a lot of sympathy)

I've never seen anybody refer to depression, anxiety and autism as any of those things. Maybe on tumblr and in the movies, but not in actual situations between sufferers and family members, friends and co-workers. Typically those things are looked down upon more than looked up to because you can "just get over it if you try." All of those issues will receive a plethora of various reactions depending on the situation and the person reacting to them. To say that those issues are definitely seen as romantic, cute and quirky all the time is not completely accurate. I dunno if accuracy is what you were aiming for, though.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff