Welcome to Gaia! ::

7,800 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Forum Regular 100
Is a person's sexuality a choice, or are they born with it? People have been asking that for years and there are no scientific answers. I think you are born with it. I mean, I don't CHOOSE to be gay. I just am. So share your opinions. smile

Divine Shark's Queen

Beloved Phantom

7,050 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
Contrary to what you say, I believe it is a choice. Things happen in a person's life that may make them prefer one gender over another. (eg: a traumatic relationship, a single parent upbringing (no offense to anyone brought up this way, just putting this out there), mother-complex/father-complex thingy or separation of parents at an early age)

As an anthropologist in the making, I feel obligated to say there is not yet a genetic makeup that someone can point to and say "Oh! Look! That one's straight!"
or "Oh, that's one's gay!" So I don't think it's possible to correctly claim (by definition) that someone is "born that way". Because..that would mean it's in their genetics. And as of now, there is no proof of that.

Tipsy Smoker

It's a choice and claiming that it isn't takes away the "pride" in your choice.
You should ask yourself.... "Is anything wrong with choosing to be gay?"

Liberal Ladykiller

9,400 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
                      It seems unlikely that many people would choose to be gay in a society that, not a hundred years ago, would kill or imprison anyone who was found to be a sodomite. It seems unlikely that anyone would choose to be gay, forcing them to admit that they cannot love their wives in the way they are meant to and in the way that their wives love them (or husbands, in the case of lesbians). While the root of homosexuality has not yet been determined - I doubt it is genetic, personally, but there is some evidence to suggest that it is neurological - it is undoubtedly not a choice.

Friendly Fatcat

6,750 Points
  • Grunny Harvester 150
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
  • Grunny Grabber 50
i think most people are born that way but in some cases people get fed up with the opposite sex and go to the other side.
It is absolutely NOT a choice.
A gay man does not tell his p***s to get hard when he sees another attractive man.
Just as another straight man does not TELL his p***s to get hard when he sees a woman.
It just DOES.
It just shows what you are mentally attracted to.
A lesbian isn't going to tell her v****a to get wet to another girl, it just WILL.
Think about it, if you controlled those things, then boys wouldn't have awkward situations with boners and girls wouldn't have to change underwear when they get aroused.

But you CAN'T.
If you don't like something you're not going to be aroused by it. Simple as that.
So tell me again, WHY and HOW is it a choice?
I know for a damn fact I can't just look at a man and tell me v****a *hey don't get wet okay?*
It's just going to happen. Just like I can't look at most women and say *okay now get wet*.
It's the same thing except reversed and anyone who thinks it is a choice obviously hasn't bothered to concern themselves with this idea.

Have any problems? Contact me so I can further elaborate on this topic.
Ophiucha
                      It seems unlikely that many people would choose to be gay in a society that, not a hundred years ago, would kill or imprison anyone who was found to be a sodomite. It seems unlikely that anyone would choose to be gay, forcing them to admit that they cannot love their wives in the way they are meant to and in the way that their wives love them (or husbands, in the case of lesbians). While the root of homosexuality has not yet been determined - I doubt it is genetic, personally, but there is some evidence to suggest that it is neurological - it is undoubtedly not a choice.

Ppl choose cigerettes which will kill them.
Ppl are easily coerced to make silly decisions.
Rainbow UniGoat
A gay man does not tell his p***s to get hard when he sees another attractive man.
Just as another straight man does not TELL his p***s to get hard when he sees a woman.
It just DOES.
A lesbian isn't going to tell her v****a to get wet to another girl, it just WILL.
Think about it, if you controlled those things, then boys wouldn't have awkward situations with boners and girls wouldn't have to change underwear when they get aroused.

But you CAN'T.
If you don't like something you're not going to be aroused by it. Simple as that.
I know for a damn fact I can't just look at a man and tell me v****a *hey don't get wet okay?*
It's just going to happen. Just like I can't look at most women and say *okay now get wet*.
It's the same thing except reversed and anyone who thinks it is a choice obviously hasn't bothered to concern themselves with this idea.

Disensitization disproves your two paragraph proof.
Its a choice, because we certainly aren't born with the trait. Though some ppl may mistake neuralogical changes after the fact with limited choice. The biggest indicator would be found in the nurture portion of psychology.

Greedy Consumer

cara_fairy
Contrary to what you say, I believe it is a choice. Things happen in a person's life that may make them prefer one gender over another. (eg: a traumatic relationship, a single parent upbringing (no offense to anyone brought up this way, just putting this out there), mother-complex/father-complex thingy or separation of parents at an early age)

As an anthropologist in the making, I feel obligated to say there is not yet a genetic makeup that someone can point to and say "Oh! Look! That one's straight!"
or "Oh, that's one's gay!" So I don't think it's possible to correctly claim (by definition) that someone is "born that way". Because..that would mean it's in their genetics. And as of now, there is no proof of that.
Traumas force their hand if it is a choice, though I suppose they have the option of asexuality or some other issue, so they what, they chose the lesser of two issues? xd

Greedy Consumer

Rainbow UniGoat
It just DOES.

But you CAN'T.

the perspective of it being choice might be the idea that its a subconcious choice, like why a child likes blue over other colors for apparantly no reason, when in the past that choice could have been influenced by something, such as megaman videogames and cartoons xd hence why one of them brought up the idea of trauma influencing choice. But truely a product of the environment might not be choice, he chose (I chose) to look up to megaman as a kid, so of course blue would be one of my favorite colors, its a little indirect to be a choice imo though I do see the choice involved.

Greedy Consumer

DXnobodyX
Its a choice, because we certainly aren't born with the trait. Though some ppl may mistake neuralogical changes after the fact with limited choice. The biggest indicator would be found in the nurture portion of psychology.
We arent born to be a killer
children get abducted in africa to kill people when they are older
it must have been their choice to kill people when they get older.

Divine Shark's Queen

Beloved Phantom

7,050 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
Ryu Kei Shou Kawazu
cara_fairy

Traumas force their hand if it is a choice, though I suppose they have the option of asexuality or some other issue, so they what, they chose the lesser of two issues? xd

You are correct in that some choose asexuality. Fact is, still a choice.

Divine Shark's Queen

Beloved Phantom

7,050 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
Ophiucha

This. Neurological/Psychological.

7,800 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Forum Regular 100
Rainbow UniGoat
It just DOES.

But you CAN'T.

I've never thought about it that way. xD Good point though!
I've always just thought "Why the hell would I choose to like men if no one will accept me that way and I disappoint my family?" D:

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff