Welcome to Gaia! ::

Yeah, flaming people doesn't help, in 9 cases out of 10 it makes the individual want to cut even more. So by flaming them, because they aren't making enough progress, you are setting them back even further.
Hmm....

I think it's a shame that a good amount of self injurers are teenagers who are just following the pack. It gives the stereotype that all SIs are simply hurting themselves for drama and to fit in, not because they actually have a major problem. Some of them are teenagers who want to feel different than the crowd, and it's much easier to pick up a knife than develop an identity - others are stressed out individuals who are breaking down from the pain, and the cutting serves as a distraction. [Note: this doesn't cover everyone. This is simply the primary groups of self injurers I have observed.]

I've had friends who ADMITTED to me that they did it for the drama alone, and that they wanted to seem like they were, quote: "In a soap opera." This impacted my views on self injury in a more straight edge manner, and for a while I thought a good 97% of cutters were simply doing this for the same reason. Since I am/was surrounded by teenagers who would rather slice their arms than actually stop to think, "Hey, maybe I should try to solve my problems instead of just moaning away," or "This drama crap is stupid." I began to feel that many SIs were just the worlds biggest drama queens who somehow found gratification through worrying other people with wounds of their own doing.

However, as I observe more and more people that actually DO have major problems and simply can't cope with the stress, a deeper understanding slowly developed in me. If a 14 year old, popular cheerleader came up to me and said, "I cut myself last night," I would most likely think she's just trying to seem different than the rest of the air heads around her, aka :a dunderhead in denial. Don't get me wrong, I would still treat her with kindness, but spiteful thoughts would definitely stir in the back of my mind.

Although, I have been in the position of self injury before, and I discovered that it was the only outlet I could find from the chaos around me. I didn't do it for popularity or drama: I did it because it was the only thing I seemed to have control over, and it created this sort of 'high' in me, relieving the tension I felt momentarily. Any escape was a good escape for me, and even though I knew it was wrong I couldn't bring myself to give up the only thing I could manipulate.

So to sum up: A lot self injurers are attention mongers, others are people at the breaking point with no where else to turn to. I do not support flaming them on gaia however, because you never know just who is at the other end of the computer. Most friends and family members don't know what goes on in their heads - how can you expect to know their life story from a paragraph of text on your screen?

No matter what the case, to want to hurt some one who is doing enough damage on their own is sadistic. They don't even have themselves on their sides, do you honestly think they need you against them too? They can destroy themselves easily enough on their own without you pushing them, you may as well mail them a razor blade.

Show some kindness towards people instead of insulting them to within an inch of their lives, you never know how they are really feeling.
[please refer to above post]
Well said butterstick_revolution, and thank you, "you never know whos on the other end of the computer screen". So true.
Quote:
Well said butterstick_revolution, and thank you, "you never know whos on the other end of the computer screen". So true.

**bows**
I'm going to bed now, I will respond to and deflect any retarded flames I get from this, because I know deep down, the flamer is the one with the issues!!

Later, suckers!!
thanx. *hugs*
I updated it, if you read it before, read it again, it might be triggering, its really powerful and heavy and all that good stuff.
Don't streatch the page. It's really annoying.

Self-harm =/= cutting. I used to self-har (and still do, very minorly) and i have no scars from it. Okay, that's a lie, I have one scar from scratching at myself with a sharp object until I broke the skin. I don't think that counts as cutting, though.

But yeah, people don't do it for attention. Most don't tell anyone.
Yeah, you're right M + M's.

Blessed Cutie-Pie

On the other hand, there are some kids who I think have a right to do it for attention. If they're not getting love and respect from neither family nor friends... and have no place to recieve attention at all... then I think it's pretty reasonable to do anything you can to get it. This might be controversial, but it's my opinion. *shrug*
There are ways to self-harm(including cutting) that you don't have to wear pants and long sleeves all the time. I don't, and I'm still very much a cutter. There are place on your body that are hidden most, if not all, of the time. Your hips are a good place. Under the top of your jeans, but also above your thigh. Your torso, such as your ribcage. Inside of your thighs, etc.
I like this topic. It brought up very good, well thought points that few flamers would ever consider. True, alot of cutters do do it for the "Drama and spice I get from it", but it's different for some people. The most prominent cutter in your school is most likely someone you wouldn't ever expect. And the "serious" (the ones who don't tell) cutters are most likely NOT doing it for attention. Most are scared to death of anyone ever finding out.

As Butterstick said, for some, it is a reason to fly high, to get away from alot of things. Sometimes it helps, sometimes it worsens. In the end, however, it always turns for the worst. That's why, if any person who is even considering cutting reads my unimportant paragragh, I beg of them not to. Once you get in, the most common way out is down.
Quote:
There are ways to self-harm(including cutting) that you don't have to wear pants and long sleeves all the time. I don't, and I'm still very much a cutter. There are place on your body that are hidden most, if not all, of the time. Your hips are a good place. Under the top of your jeans, but also above your thigh. Your torso, such as your ribcage. Inside of your thighs, etc.

I know, but I was trying to include ALL variables, to make a complete picture of it.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff