Welcome to Gaia! ::

Dedicated Gaian

12,725 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Friendly 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
There is something that has been bothering me for a while now and I want advice on this.

Sometimes I will be laying down or sitting in a chair and when I need to get up and do something, sometimes I can't move. As hard as I try I can't move anything. It has made me very concerned and I just want to know if anyone here on Gaia has similar problems and that could enlighten me, I need some advice and personal experiences so that I know what next move I should make.

Help is much appreciated.

Eloquent Elocutionist

6,050 Points
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
If at all possible, you should see a doctor. It could be a health issue, and an internet message board is the last place in the world you should get medical advice.

Inquisitive Bookworm

17,175 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Partygoer 500
  • Elocutionist 200
I have similar experiences but I can offer no insight.

Sometimes after awakening, it takes me a while to regain control of my body. This has lasted anywhere up to 30 seconds, and doesn't happen every day, only occasionally. But yeah, sometimes I'm laying there and as far as I'm concerned I'm giving a command for my body to get up and move, but it's like nothing's connecting for a short time there, until suddenly it just works.

But as a hypocrite, I advise you, as Yoshpet has, to seek advice from a doctor. You may be able to get advice now that could prevent a potential more serious issue in future.

Dedicated Gaian

12,725 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Friendly 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
BRAZEKOOL

Sometimes after awakening, it takes me a while to regain control of my body. This has lasted anywhere up to 30 seconds, and doesn't happen every day, only occasionally. But yeah, sometimes I'm laying there and as far as I'm concerned I'm giving a command for my body to get up and move, but it's like nothing's connecting for a short time there, until suddenly it just works.

But as a hypocrite, I advise you, as Yoshpet has, to seek advice from a doctor. You may be able to get advice now that could prevent a potential more serious issue in future.

Typically my issue happens from a few minutes to even a half hour. It is seriously a problem when I need to do something important and I can't get my body to function. I do understand that I should see a doctor and I agree that I should and I will. I just wanted to see if anyone on Gaia has similar trouble and want advice on how others cope.

Inquisitive Bookworm

17,175 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Partygoer 500
  • Elocutionist 200
AngelsDreadedFear
BRAZEKOOL

Typically my issue happens from a few minutes to even a half hour. It is seriously a problem when I need to do something important and I can't get my body to function. I do understand that I should see a doctor and I agree that I should and I will. I just wanted to see if anyone on Gaia has similar trouble and want advice on how others cope.
I'd say if it's a neurological disorder, it's not such a common thing. I hope the doctor has some helpful advice for you. Half an hour is a massive amount of time to be denied motor function. I couldn't imagine how disturbing the first time must have been.

Edit. I've been doing some reading and found that what I've described is a symptom of Narcolepsy (as far as the good people of Wikipedia are concerned), though not necessarily related to your case, thought it may be worth your trouble to have a read.
Quote:
The classic symptoms of the disorder, often referred to as the "tetrad of narcolepsy," are cataplexy, sleep paralysis, hypnagogic hallucinations, and excessive daytime sleepiness.[19] Other symptoms may include automatic behaviors and night-time wakefulness.[20][21][22] These symptoms may not occur in all patients.
(...)
Sleep paralysis is the temporary inability to talk or move when waking (or less often, when falling asleep). It may last a few seconds to minutes. This is often frightening but is not dangerous.
(...)

Dedicated Gaian

12,725 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Friendly 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
BRAZEKOOL
AngelsDreadedFear
BRAZEKOOL

I'd say if it's a neurological disorder, it's not such a common thing. I hope the doctor has some helpful advice for you. Half an hour is a massive amount of time to be denied motor function. I couldn't imagine how disturbing the first time must have been.

Edit. I've been doing some reading and found that what I've described is a symptom of Narcolepsy (as far as the good people of Wikipedia are concerned), though not necessarily related to your case, thought it may be worth your trouble to have a read.
Quote:
The classic symptoms of the disorder, often referred to as the "tetrad of narcolepsy," are cataplexy, sleep paralysis, hypnagogic hallucinations, and excessive daytime sleepiness.[19] Other symptoms may include automatic behaviors and night-time wakefulness.[20][21][22] These symptoms may not occur in all patients.
(...)
Sleep paralysis is the temporary inability to talk or move when waking (or less often, when falling asleep). It may last a few seconds to minutes. This is often frightening but is not dangerous.
(...)

Thanks so much for your help, I really appreciate it. smile

High-functioning Counselor

17,450 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Alchemy Level 3 100
  • Tycoon 200
Angels I would suggest talking to your Pdoc about this too...as it could be a symptom of your diagnosis, medication side effect, or medical issue.

I would see if you notice anything that triggers this symptom or if it just comes out of nowhere.

Dedicated Gaian

12,725 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Friendly 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
SylverStar
Angels I would suggest talking to your Pdoc about this too...as it could be a symptom of your diagnosis, medication side effect, or medical issue.

I would see if you notice anything that triggers this symptom or if it just comes out of nowhere.

I have been debating on talking to my doctor. I just take so many medications for things that I really don't want to be put on more.

btw, I love your avi. It's so beautiful.

Thanks for your help

High-functioning Counselor

17,450 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Alchemy Level 3 100
  • Tycoon 200
I can understand that. It's no fun having to take a daily regime of pills...especially starting and stopping and changing doses. I don't know what medication you are on but some of them need extra monitering for side effects for movement disorders and liver functioning and such...so it's always good to report all your symptoms...and let your doctor know your not really wanting to change or take extra medication.

There a certain Dopamine receptors that effect movement and Antipsychotics work on Dopamine receptors...not sure which circuits though. There is also something called a catatonic stupor which can be a symptom of mental disorder or a medication side effect. Also parkinson's also can cause inability of voluntary movement (however my guess is it is not this). Whatever the case you doctor needs to be aware of it so he can moniter if things are getting worse or not for you whether it's medication side effect or a symptom of your diagnosis.

Plus if it is causing you problems it is definately worth mentioning.

Also thank you...I thought this AV fit my name nicely.

Dapper Prophet

You know what? This doesn't sound concerning to me at all! It sounds like you're experiencing sleep paralysis. Nothing to fear! Unless you have a strong intuition that you need to consult medical advice then go for it by all means, but there may be a simple explanation:

Quote:
"Sleep paralysis is a natural protection mechanism that prevents you from acting out your dreams. It affects most of your body, with the exception of your eyes (allowing them to demonstrate Rapid Eye Movement), chest (so your lungs can breathe freely) and sometimes minor extremities like toes, fingertips and lips.

Sleep paralysis switches on and off around the sleep-wake border. As a result, sometimes people become aware of the paralysis and are shocked to find they can't move. This can be scary, inducing nightmarish hallucinations (but not always), and when it happens frequently it is classed as a sleep disorder.

The experience of sleep paralysis occurs when your mind (in part) wakes up, but your body remains asleep. Physically asleep, you remain paralyzed. But mentally conscious, you may start to panic and the half-dreaming mind conjures up nightmarish images to "explain" what is happening, often based on cultural beliefs.

Sleep paralysis is common: half of the world's population may experience this condition at least once in their lives. The condition is more likely to arise if you are under stress and/or have disturbed sleep cycles due to shift work, narcolepsy, sleep deprivation, jet lag, and other sleep disorders. You're also more likely to encounter sleep paralysis if you practice certain lucid dreaming techniques."
It is my veterinary opinion that you be paralyzed. You should walk to your nearest doctor.

Dedicated Gaian

12,725 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Friendly 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
SarahAnneSueur
It is my veterinary opinion that you be paralyzed. You should walk to your nearest doctor.

Seriously...

If you have no helpful advice then why post..?

Stay in the Chatterbox.

Interesting Regular

AngelsDreadedFear
SarahAnneSueur

Seriously...

If you have no helpful advice then why post..?

Stay in the Chatterbox.

Actually, that advice is very helpful and will probably be the only sound advice you will get from here.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff