Welcome to Gaia! ::

Wheezing Nerd

14,350 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Megathread 100
I might. I'm taking psych and it's really interesting. Plus I'm in need of one myself. People have told I have a few mental disorders( lol so nice) such as dis-associative disorder, and both my parents have depression. I've been eating chocolate every day and it seems to make me happier. But I don't want diabetes cause that's a problem too.
I heard it's a rough job. I think I'd care too much.

Dangerous Stalker

I would never want to be a therapist. You have to listen to stupid ******** sob stories and it would be way to easy to kill the clients. Just a bad situation. But some people are really meant for that job.

Wheezing Nerd

14,350 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Megathread 100
Uze
I would never want to be a therapist. You have to listen to stupid ******** sob stories and it would be way to easy to kill the clients. Just a bad situation. But some people are really meant for that job.

I guess...My brother's whining did always piss me off

Super Fairy

11,750 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Profitable 100
I'd never become one. I have too many of my own issues to be able to deal with others'. I'd probably become overwhelmed and break down and they'd be like wtf no i'm supposed to do that.

Wild Unicorn

Everyone has a mental disorder or a behavioral disorder. Everyone. I don't know how far you've gotten into study for this kind of stuff, or if you're just planning ahead, but don't let that make you feel like you can't do this line of work. Just don't start self-medicating with alcohol or drugs if you can help it... that stuff will screw your brain up and make it much harder in general.

I would like to be an art therapist and I also have bipolar type 2. (Which is the depression but without the mania.) I've done a bit of formal study already so I can tell you a little bit of what I've found out...

Firstly- yeah. It's really tough. That doesn't mean it's impossible... just be aware now that you should also be very aware of your own limits and make sure you don't work yourself to the bone. Some therapists can manage full time. Some will do two years of full time and burn out... so from what I was told, don't be ashamed if you find you're only part time. I think most therapists are more comfortable just doing part time therapy. It takes a lot out of you and it brings up a lot of stuff for you. The training to become a therapist actually makes you be your own therapist (as well as for people in your class who'll become like family... you'll know so much intimate stuff about them it's incredible and humbling) so you can go through your own stuff as well as learning to understand what it's going to be like for your client. That part of it is also tough but so worth it. So so so worth it. I can't even begin to tell you how amazing you'll feel after when you've recovered a little.

Also having personal experience with mental illness can be a real benefit to the job. People having a tough time want to be heard AND understood and someone who never had to deal with that kind of stress have a much harder time being a emphatic therapist. A lot of therapists have their OWN therapists for that reason. You take care of people and ask someone to help you as well... nice balance.

It's okay to be annoyed, to be happy, to be overwhelmed, to actually REACT to a client. They're dumping a lot of s**t on you, excuse my s-bomb, and you're human. It happens. Totally okay to not be able to deal with it all the time. They train you how to get through that moment when you're learning psychology. The key is to be aware of it and to put it aside for later.

Basically... if that's what you want then go for it. smile It's an awesome area and I'm going to go back and complete that qualification as soon as I finish the one I'm doing now.

6,850 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Forum Regular 100
I'm planning on getting a PhD in psych, actually. Clinical psychology. I want to work both as a psychiatrist and a therapist. I think I would prefer working with adolescents rather than adults, however.

By the way Cali, feel free to PM me if you need someone to talk to. I've been there and back with DP/DR (or as you call it, dissociative disorder), and I have several issues I'm still working out today, so I'm not in any position to judge.

Dapper Conversationalist

My therapist said I'd be a good therapist. I'm considering it.

I analyse everything to s**t, why not help others do the same?

Interesting Regular

psycheduck
I'm planning on getting a PhD in psych, actually. Clinical psychology. I want to work both as a psychiatrist and a therapist. I think I would prefer working with adolescents rather than adults, however.

By the way Cali, feel free to PM me if you need someone to talk to. I've been there and back with DP/DR (or as you call it, dissociative disorder), and I have several issues I'm still working out today, so I'm not in any position to judge.

But psychiatry is a a MD not a Ph.D. You can be both a therapist and a psychologist but it'll take you like 12 years.

Dedicated Ladykiller

12,550 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Bookworm 100
  • Hygienic 200
I thought about Psychiatric Nursing before switching majors. I really do love psychology but I am selfish in the way that I need my patients to get better to feel gratification. After interning at a psychiatrists office I realized (for the majority) you can never have the satisfaction of healing and helping someone completely, you can only prevent them from doing worse to themselves. Now, therapy is nowhere as dramatic, but the same concepts could apply depending on who/what your focus is.

TLDR: Not for me.

6,850 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Forum Regular 100
savagesarge
psycheduck

But psychiatry is a a MD not a Ph.D. You can be both a therapist and a psychologist but it'll take you like 12 years.

Yeah, I know... thanks for reminding me. sweatdrop In my post, I stated I wanted a PhD in clinical psychology, then I'll get my master's in psychiatry after taking a break from school. How long of a break depends on how I feel after I earn my doctorate.

High-functioning Counselor

17,450 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Alchemy Level 3 100
  • Tycoon 200
I'm trying to decide right now whether I should get a Masters in therapy or teaching. Honestly I think I'm kind of getting sick of how broken the system is and how little money we spend towards mental health. However I currently work in the field and am pretty good at my job. I think I might struggle some with long term therapy patients but I think that is something I could work on.

Interesting Genius

2,000 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
It seems intriguing, but I would fear for how easily a patient could overstep or mistake for where the line in the sand is drawn between doctor and patient, thus putting the therapist at risk or making them uncomfortable. As much as NBC's Hannibal exaggerates this heavily, it does at least highlight the fact that it is a real risk.
savagesarge
psycheduck

Yeah I was gunna say..Ph.D? lol

Interesting Explorer

5,500 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Beta Gaian 0
Future therapist in the making here. I'm planning on transferring to a university after I finish up college. Coming from someone who's suffered from depression all his life, why not try to help other people lessen the pain of it?

That's my rationale, anyway.
Personally I don't think I could take it, but if there's a passion why not go for it?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff