Welcome to Gaia! ::

Widow

Devoted Kitten

(I know I can probably look this up but I rather ask here.)

still allow shock therapy if you go in voluntary for it? Can it help erase ones memories?
Yes, ECT (electroconvulsive therapy) is still used today. Yes, it is normally done voluntarily. Yes, memory loss is a potential side effect, though it is less common with the newer techniques.

No, getting ECT is not a reliable way of getting rid of a painful memory you want to forget. No, you can't just walk in and ask for it: it has to be ordered by a doctor.

Blessed Explorer

6,550 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Mooby the Golden Sock
Yes, ECT (electroconvulsive therapy) is still used today. Yes, it is normally done voluntarily. Yes, memory loss is a potential side effect, though it is less common with the newer techniques.

No, getting ECT is not a reliable way of getting rid of a painful memory you want to forget. No, you can't just walk in and ask for it: it has to be ordered by a doctor.

To add to this, it is also one of those 'last ditch efforts' when many other treatments have failed. You really need to go through the gauntlet before it even becomes an option to be considered.

Shameless Heckler

12,225 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Mooby the Golden Sock

I would like to add something else, the memories that get erased by ECT are completely random and the erasure is sometimes not total, you could just as easily forget some extremely pleasant memory as the unpleasant one you wish to be rid of. You would be far better off consulting a psychologist or a psychiatrist and learning how to confront that memory and deal with it in a healthy way.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff