Welcome to Gaia! ::

ivboelum
Um, I've actually had this disorder. It exists.

Had? Out of curiousity how did you "make it go away"?
Kitty Mathers
ivboelum

I'd like to know how you "had" it?you say it as if you don't anymore...

2,650 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Statustician 100
Shadow k1tty
Kitty Mathers
ivboelum

Unlike what most people think, because of sensationalized portrayals of DID in the media, DID is not untreatable and the sufferer can be aware they have the disorder...some know their alters, some know their names and everything and some dont. I for example dont have a huge list of names or anything...

also..
Integration is possible(fusion of alters), and also cooperation, and co-consciousness with your alters. Meaning you can be somewhat present at times.
Dissociation is a spectrum.... Its not always blacking out.
Sometimes dissociative amnesia can happen while an alter is out, meaningyou forget....or partial co-consciousness.... you can watch alters act and watch it all happen but do not black out, and possibly remember a bit.
some people communicate easier with some alters than others, some have alters they are co-conscious or co-hosted with meaning there can be two present at once,
some alters do not come out in the body and only speak in the mind.

Some alters never come out unless its safe. DID is first and foremost a coping mechanism, not everyone is a "Sybil"...DID is usually a coping mechanism to deal with extreme, chronic trauma ....its to protect the brain,for some who developeed DID it may not have been safe to completely black out and forget, that would defeat the point of the coping mechanism in their situation..but this is just for my situation perhaps not the same for all. All people are different.

I am at times more "out of it" than others, and sometimes I am fully here...its not something people should want to fake, because its hard to live like this and confusing and embarassing...

I for example have bouts where I remember a few things that happened but not everything, or I have times when I remember everything and times where im blank. I for the most part am co-conscious but I am unable to influence and control what my alters do. Its almost like you are asleep and cannot do anything...
they have their own way of acting and own views..Its hard, its not fun! its not. It just isnt.

and if you think all DIDs have personalities that dress different and have different voices, yes some do...but not all. I for example sometimes switch and nobody notices, sometimes people just say "you seem different today" sometimes Im completely lost and dont know what I just did all day...sometimes I do but its hazy...I usually try to hide my DID, from people...I dont have the full on black outs all the time...usually everything is just blendy and hazy and not clear, and sometimes I cant even remember my own name. Its a spectrum, not black and white.

DID is not fun in adult life. Its real, confusing, and at times makes me ashamed...because I do things I later cannot explain.

So yes in my life it is real, and its terribly confusing and horrifying at times. NOT fun. Not adventurous or awesome
I hope this clears some misconceptions.

Beloved Regular

8,750 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Millionaire 200
TornadoCreator
Sounds an awful lot like Multiple Personality Disorder, which most certainly does exist, there are brain scans that show entirely different brain patterns for it.

They're the same thing. DID is simply the scientific term for it, whereas MPD is the "slang" term for it.

Generous Trader

12,925 Points
  • Divine Donator 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Generous 100
Yeah.
It can be a good thing or bad thing.

Ich_Liebe_Deutschland
Does it exist? Or is it solely made up of fakes and iatrogenically created cases? Discuss.
GumDropGirlie
Shadow k1tty
Kitty Mathers
ivboelum

Unlike what most people think, because of sensationalized portrayals of DID in the media, DID is not untreatable and the sufferer can be aware they have the disorder...some know their alters, some know their names and everything and some dont. I for example dont have a huge list of names or anything...

also..
Integration is possible(fusion of alters), and also cooperation, and co-consciousness with your alters. Meaning you can be somewhat present at times.
Dissociation is a spectrum.... Its not always blacking out.
Sometimes dissociative amnesia can happen while an alter is out, meaningyou forget....or partial co-consciousness.... you can watch alters act and watch it all happen but do not black out, and possibly remember a bit.
some people communicate easier with some alters than others, some have alters they are co-conscious or co-hosted with meaning there can be two present at once,
some alters do not come out in the body and only speak in the mind.

Some alters never come out unless its safe. DID is first and foremost a coping mechanism, not everyone is a "Sybil"...DID is usually a coping mechanism to deal with extreme, chronic trauma ....its to protect the brain,for some who developeed DID it may not have been safe to completely black out and forget, that would defeat the point of the coping mechanism in their situation..but this is just for my situation perhaps not the same for all. All people are different.

I am at times more "out of it" than others, and sometimes I am fully here...its not something people should want to fake, because its hard to live like this and confusing and embarassing...

I for example have bouts where I remember a few things that happened but not everything, or I have times when I remember everything and times where im blank. I for the most part am co-conscious but I am unable to influence and control what my alters do. Its almost like you are asleep and cannot do anything...
they have their own way of acting and own views..Its hard, its not fun! its not. It just isnt.

and if you think all DIDs have personalities that dress different and have different voices, yes some do...but not all. I for example sometimes switch and nobody notices, sometimes people just say "you seem different today" sometimes Im completely lost and dont know what I just did all day...sometimes I do but its hazy...I usually try to hide my DID, from people...I dont have the full on black outs all the time...usually everything is just blendy and hazy and not clear, and sometimes I cant even remember my own name. Its a spectrum, not black and white.

DID is not fun in adult life. Its real, confusing, and at times makes me ashamed...because I do things I later cannot explain.

So yes in my life it is real, and its terribly confusing and horrifying at times. NOT fun. Not adventurous or awesome
I hope this clears some misconceptions.

so it's not weird that i feel there but not technically being "behind the wheel"?
The New Wineskin
TornadoCreator
Sounds an awful lot like Multiple Personality Disorder, which most certainly does exist, there are brain scans that show entirely different brain patterns for it.

They're the same thing. DID is simply the scientific term for it, whereas MPD is the "slang" term for it.

Strictly speaking DID is more recent and broad a title, MPD is not strictly lay.

Lavish Consumer

11,000 Points
  • Party Member 100
  • Consumer 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
I don't know for sure, but have been told that this diagnosis is obsolete. I wouldn't rule out the possibility of something rare happening once in awhile. They also change the names of things over time.
HarlequinPink
I don't know for sure, but have been told that this diagnosis is obsolete. I wouldn't rule out the possibility of something rare happening once in awhile. They also change the names of things over time.

In the DSM V the requirements for diagnosis are going to change a bit, but the diagnosis is still valid. I've met people in treatment who have it and it's very scary for them.
Ask people who are going through it, and try to get through a conversation with them without telling them that they're making it up.

PS: I'm autistic, and I would like people to be aware that I'm not an enigma or monster and I need very simple accomodations to be able to live my life the way that I want to.

Hygenic Gawker

Sounds exactly like what we're going over in our abnormal psych. course, lol.

Anyway, does it exist? While I'm a bit skeptical, it would be foolish to completely denounce the possibility of it existing in certain, rare cases.

I mean, if individuals with schizophrenia are capable of experiencing grandiose delusions, then whose to say that individuals diagnosed with DID aren't in fact experiencing some sort of legitimate delusion?

Just my two cents.
Easii
Sounds exactly like what we're going over in our abnormal psych. course, lol.

Anyway, does it exist? While I'm a bit skeptical, it would be foolish to completely denounce the possibility of it existing in certain, rare cases.

I mean, if individuals with schizophrenia are capable of experiencing grandiose delusions, then whose to say that individuals diagnosed with DID aren't in fact experiencing some sort of legitimate delusion?

Just my two cents.

It's not necessarily a delusion. It's more an extreme compartmentalization in the brain. This happens with normal people, where a traumatic event happens that a human is just generally not capable of handling, so the brain "puts it away" so to speak. With DID, it's taken to a whole new level, and generally arises from extreme chronic abuse, where the individual experiences compartmentalizing and takes it to a new level where the brain develops an alternate form of that person to better handle the situation, because the core is not able to.

I hope that makes sense.

However, people often misunderstand that an alter is not just some random a** personality that develops. It is an alternate version of themselves that suits the situation. Say a child is being beaten by someone. Often times the brain will split in to another child to take the beating so that the core doesn't have to experience it. And then often-times a "protecter" alter will develop to protect the core. It's job is essentially where it becomes stronger, less emotional, and can actually handle the situation.

I don't have this disorder, but I've talked to people that it has. It's not as rare as you might think, but there generally has to be SEVERE abuse. I talked to one woman who, after being in extensive therapy and finally getting the truth out of her parents, was in a cult as a child and they performed satanic rituals on her weekly. This kind of abuse will cause the brain to do some funky things.
Easii

What does exist?
CH1YO
Easii

What does exist?

Nice existentialism we've got going on right thurr
Bootiful Lia
CH1YO
Easii

What does exist?

Nice existentialism we've got going on right thurr

Not really.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out