Welcome to Gaia! ::

Witty Friend

I am college student majoring in Psychology and this question (the title) has become something I've heard way too often around my university.

The debate of whether Psychology is a "real" science or just a "wannabe" science. I actually work in the Science building at my school, the department of Natural Sciences, and I've had the faculty there talk about psychology at times and make fun about it not being a legitimate science in comparison to chemistry, physics, biology, and so forth.

It's really irritating to me at least. I mean I consider them all "real" sciences. If something is pseudoscience it is that way across the board regardless of field, but if following the scientific method and other aspects, it's a way of science. Psychology is more prone to a wider field, mainly humans, but that does not mean it's not good enough to be considered a science.

Point in question, what do you think on this entirety? Have you ever been told before that Psychology is not a real science and have had it dissed? If so, what you have said or done to prove to others that they're wrong about that assumption?

Newbie Noob

You can't really argue something without scientific evidence in Psychology, such as large samples of data that prove what you're trying to say.

Psychology is biased towards science so... i'd guess it's a science.

Witty Friend

Sorry Im Horny
You can't really argue something without scientific evidence in Psychology, such as large samples of data that prove what you're trying to say.

It's science in a a different format really, but that doesn't make it fake in some way. It may not be science of the earthly matters, but instead of us.

It's biased towards science because it practices scientific methods and concepts. Or so I learn and so I think.

Newbie Noob

Thats What Girls Do
Sorry Im Horny

It's science in a a different format really, but that doesn't make it fake in some way. It may not be science of the earthly matters, but instead of us.

It's biased towards science because it practices scientific methods and concepts. Or so I learn and so I think.

Clearly you're biased.

Witty Friend

Sorry Im Horny
Thats What Girls Do
Sorry Im Horny

Clearly you're biased.

Um well yeah. Everyones biased in one way or another. I chose to major in this. Thats why I am asking for discussion? You saying I'm biased doesn't initiate discussion with what the topic was created for. Or at least I don't see the reason.
A social science, yes.
No. The brain is magic. There is no biology inside one's skull. </sarcasm>

Witty Friend

CH1YO
A social science, yes.

Why do you only consider it that? You use the term science, and I do agree with you. It is a social science, though others I've spoken to at times dont even consider it a social science.
Thats What Girls Do
CH1YO
A social science, yes.

Why do you only consider it that? You use the term science, and I do agree with you. It is a social science, though others I've spoken to at times dont even consider it a social science.

What do you mean by only? Anyone who does not consider it a social science clearly does not understand the term.

Witty Friend

CH1YO
Thats What Girls Do
CH1YO
A social science, yes.

What do you mean by only? Anyone who does not consider it a social science clearly does not understand the term.

Nothing exactly, just happen to be the first word that came out as I typed lol. And yes, though I'm saying that regardless if they do understand the term, some of which I knew did, they still would not consider it worthy of having the title of science in it.
Thats What Girls Do
CH1YO
Thats What Girls Do
CH1YO
A social science, yes.

Nothing exactly, just happen to be the first word that came out as I typed lol. And yes, though I'm saying that regardless if they do understand the term, some of which I knew did, they still would not consider it worthy of having the title of science in it.

That is ignorance on their part, nothing more.

Witty Friend

CH1YO
Thats What Girls Do
CH1YO
Thats What Girls Do
CH1YO
A social science, yes.

Yes yes. Maybe I've just run into more than my fair share of ignorance on the matter and degrading of the field.
Thats What Girls Do
CH1YO
Thats What Girls Do
CH1YO
Thats What Girls Do
CH1YO
A social science, yes.

Yes yes. Maybe I've just run into more than my fair share of ignorance on the matter and degrading of the field.

There's a lot of it abound I'm afraid.

Witty Friend

CH1YO
Thats What Girls Do
CH1YO
Thats What Girls Do
CH1YO

Couldn't agree with you more. :/ Thank you for the replies by the way. :3
Thats What Girls Do
CH1YO
Thats What Girls Do
CH1YO
Thats What Girls Do
CH1YO

Couldn't agree with you more. :/ Thank you for the replies by the way. :3

That's quite alright I rather feel I should contribute more but there's not much to the matter.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff