Scholarly Storyteller

57,450 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Battle: Level 10 250
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
IIII Aveox IIII
I made a thread about this:here.

I'm wondering how this makes people feel about the olympics

I mean, sure there's probably some unfairness and bribery that's gone on in the past but this recent judgement was like....'how much time are you guys going to give Heidemann? until she scores a point?'

it smells so fishy
PLUS the fact that the S.Koreans had to pay just for their appeal to be considered? That's just wrong.

Conservative Survivor

IIII Aveox IIII
PLUS the fact that the S.Koreans had to pay just for their appeal to be considered? That's just wrong.

When the Japanese gymnast had to appeal during the pommel horse routines, he had US dollars in his hand to pay...the commentators were astounded too, but apparently it is a rule that you have to pay to appeal. If you win your complaint, you get your money back.
Intuet
IIII Aveox IIII

When the Japanese gymnast had to appeal during the pommel horse routines, he had US dollars in his hand to pay...the commentators were astounded too, but apparently it is a rule that you have to pay to appeal. If you win your complaint, you get your money back.

Wow I did not know that. Why did they make that a rule? I find it unnecessary.
IIII Aveox IIII
Intuet
IIII Aveox IIII

This is actually done in quite a few different sports, even meets much much smaller than the Olympics. I was in a cross country race once where they were going to appeal something, and I remember they reconsidered due to the fact that you pay 50 or 100 dollars to file it, and if you don't win it, you don't get your money back. This keeps a lot of people filing appeals just so they might pass. People don't want to waste money if they know they're going to lose. However, if it doesn't cost money, they lose nothing by appealing, and there would be time wasted from extra appeals being filed.

At least that's the reasoning I think is behind it. It supposedly limits appeals to where people truly believe something has been overlooked and will be changed.
Mr Snookie
IIII Aveox IIII
Intuet
IIII Aveox IIII

This is actually done in quite a few different sports, even meets much much smaller than the Olympics. I was in a cross country race once where they were going to appeal something, and I remember they reconsidered due to the fact that you pay 50 or 100 dollars to file it, and if you don't win it, you don't get your money back. This keeps a lot of people filing appeals just so they might pass. People don't want to waste money if they know they're going to lose. However, if it doesn't cost money, they lose nothing by appealing, and there would be time wasted from extra appeals being filed.

At least that's the reasoning I think is behind it. It supposedly limits appeals to where people truly believe something has been overlooked and will be changed.

Ohhh okay, it makes perfect sense now. Thank you.

Scholarly Storyteller

57,450 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Battle: Level 10 250
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
lol
http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/olympics/other-sports/7389660/Protesting-fencer-offered-special-award

so is that basically a 'yeah we ******** up here have this Sportsmanship award in compensation' award?

idk man i still think it was really weird how this whole thing went down. clearly the german didn't get the hit in, in time. even with a botched clock there are video recordings of the match

so fishy

Questionable Genius

I saw that very match lastnight. I so happened to be sitting next to some very rowdy Germans who were outraged by the Korean couch. There were a mixture of feelnigs in the crowd and a lot of hecklers (some of which were rather witty).
I think it was daft that the Korean couch had made the complaint, he had pretty much ruined the girls chances of winning the Bronze seeing as she had only a few minutes to recover before the match. Nevetheless, the whole crowd were really supporting her throughout the bronze match.

Romantic Lunatic

I know someone who is a fencer, and explained what happened as such;

"In the event that the score is tied when the time runs out, the bout goes into a one-minute round of sudden death. One of the fencer's is "favored" so if there is still no touch scored, that fencer will win. [In this case] The Korean was "favored", so if the German hadn't scored she would have won. The controversy was wether the clock ran out before the touch was scored."

If you do notice they do start to fight, but the clock never counts down the last couple seconds.

Based on his explanation, I think the Korean should have won.
it certainly wasn't heidemann's fault
but she's always going to know that she doesn't entirely deserve that medal

Romantic Lunatic

chlorofille
it certainly wasn't heidemann's fault
but she's always going to know that she doesn't entirely deserve that medal

It was neither fencer's fault. It was a total technical error, but they had to give someone the touch.

I agree with you, as well.

Fashionable Genius

6,600 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Member 100
  • First step to fame 200
What is so contoversial about sword fighting, anyway? One of the best scenes from "Monty Python and The Holy Grail" involves fencing.

It's not like they weren't protected or anything. Or armed with lightsabers.
RiverSong1984
What is so contoversial about sword fighting, anyway? One of the best scenes from "Monty Python and The Holy Grail" involves fencing.

It's not like they weren't protected or anything. Or armed with lightsabers.

I think you should read more about this.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff