Welcome to Gaia! ::

<3 </3
  The ED

Is the Extended Discussion becoming comparable with the General Discussion forum?

Total Votes:[ 0 ]
This poll closed on December 22, 2004.
No longer accepting new votes.
1 2 >

I do appreciate this site, as it has inumerable members who post continuously, however, one of my favorite locations (the ED) seems to be losing it's semi-professional standing. Has the moderation on trivial spamming become too difficult in the ED? With all due respect, it is starting to resemble the General Discussion forum. While this is not to offend those who frequent that forum, I dwell in the ED for the sole purpose that it is an Extended Discussion forum.

I appreciate any feedback you may have for me in response.
Aaah, there are plenty of others who share your sentiment (I myself), that ED is getting a little off the course of being ED. It's been a problem for quite a long time, and it's just something that we have to work on.

There's those groups of people who report the bad threads to moderators to get them moved, and then there are those who write out new topics to keep ED somewhat alive. (Like Flip_of_Darkstar and VeilSide more than not.)

But alas, it is getting fairly bad, but doing something to help would be good. Try reporting bad threads to the moderators in a nice fashion.

There's even groups within the ED, I'm sure you've heard of them. (Most known are the ED: Enforcers), who do those things.
ED isn't the only forum that's suffering from the drop in moderator activity.

Additionally, I imagine ED is difficult to mod. One must decide where, exactly, to draw the line for what belongs and doesn't...And with a discussion forum that line is thin.
Drew7321
I do appreciate this site, as it has inumerable members who post continuously, however, one of my favorite locations (the ED) seems to be losing it's semi-professional standing. Has the moderation on trivial spamming become too difficult in the ED? With all due respect, it is starting to resemble the General Discussion forum. While this is not to offend those who frequent that forum, I dwell in the ED for the sole purpose that it is an Extended Discussion forum.

I appreciate any feedback you may have for me in response.
I noticed that too.. strangely enough when my father was telling me about one thread he was in and I asked "Oh, is that GD?" and he says "No, extended discussion" and I was really surprised because the topic was something lame.... confused
ED has been that way as long as I've been on Gaia. I used to hang out there a lot, until I noticed that 90% of what I was doing was reporting threads. After that, I decided if I was going to be Miss Helper, I'd help out in Q&F where it's less frustrating.
TKid
ED isn't the only forum that's suffering from the drop in moderator activity.

Additionally, I imagine ED is difficult to mod. One must decide where, exactly, to draw the line for what belongs and doesn't...And with a discussion forum that line is thin.

Er, that's also a good point, Tkid. *chews on one of your mini's* But then there's also the general way that most of the ED has turned into the same repeat problematic threads.

So it's more the Regulars like a few of us, who can easily pick which ones don't belong.

But eh, I'm babbling and the lack of ED mods...especially at these night time hours don't help one bit.

Beloved Gaian

16,025 Points
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Bitter Sandstorm 200
  • Master Slayer 200
Yes, the ED looks like GD.
And the GD looks like the Chatterbox.
And the chatterbox looks like someone's intestines exploded.
At the rate it's going, it will all look like the chatterbox eventually.

I think the regulars of the forum do a good job of letting mods know what threads need to be moved. I think the problem lately is finding a mod (due to various reasons).
The ED is dead, basically. There is nothing left. The only worthy ED threads are satire now, or threads with some gimmick. There is no posing questions, solutions, ideas, and such anymore, it's all, I'm right, and here's why. Or, I heard this, what do you think? And for the most part, NO EDers care what other EDers have to say. They just post cause they want to sound smart.

I post a 5 paragraph response, solving the entire question, however, leaving enough space to answer, there were 3 capable people in the thread who could have answered, and all 3 of them responded to some one liners a newb dropped about George Bush being the reason.

More mods are indeed needed, and the current mods need to be a little more...active. I, myself, have been PMing mods I've been on good terms with, who really aren't ED mods. But they go, investigate, and move.

So, really, the ED is trash. There needs to be more mods, tighter rules, and more intelligence.

However, Gaia is growing, and the number of idiots is surpassing the number of intelligent people, by such a great rate. ED will be toast in a matter of months.
*pulls out sawed off shot gun* damn people *pulls trigger* hey wtf nothing happened *puts off safty*oh hehe *Blows off head* wee
myangelwings
Yes, the ED looks like GD.
And the GD looks like the Chatterbox.
And the chatterbox looks like someone's intestines exploded.
At the rate it's going, it will all look like the chatterbox eventually.

I think the regulars of the forum do a good job of letting mods know what threads need to be moved. I think thhe problem lately is finding a mod (due to various reasons).

Encore. *claps* That's the truth, but I think we do just enough to counterbalance the decline of ED to a Chatterbox state.

It's not no "ED", but it'll get there with a little more work...and Arky you just posted...*posts and reads your reply*
Demons Within
*pulls out sawed off shot gun* damn people *pulls trigger* hey wtf nothing happened *puts off safty*oh hehe *Blows off head* wee
And you, my friend, are part of the problem. Please stop spamming in the Q&F. I'd rather not have to report you.
Arkane Knight

However, Gaia is growing, and the number of idiots is surpassing the number of intelligent people, by such a great rate. ED will be toast in a matter of months.

I agree with you on every point there, but I didn't quite chose to quote it all and blah blah. It's 4 in the morning, you know how it is. *collapses on and thinks*

The ED is declining, and it seems no matter what the Regulars do, without more help from the ED moderators themselves (I'm not saying they do a bad job; they don't, there's just so many gaps in times they're on, etc.), just makes it hard to keep ED a place for what it's supposed to be.

The Regulars get burned out trying to keep it alive, and they take breaks from it. Me myself, I've been hanging out here more often and posting, and simply only reporting bad treads in the ED.

But then, I should post more there..think of a new topic or something.
Arkane Knight
I post a 5 paragraph response, solving the entire question, however, leaving enough space to answer, there were 3 capable people in the thread who could have answered, and all 3 of them responded to some one liners a newb dropped about George Bush being the reason.

I definately agree with what you said there. It almost makes you feel defeated when you post a very heartfelt entry, only to see that a comment prior to yours with something to the effect of "I like cheese" (or something equally unrelated to the original topic) has been chosen for acknowledgment. I never expect my post to be the conclusion, since opinions are infinitely vast, but it is deflating just the same.

I concur that there is undoubtedly a need for more active moderators which are available for duty at less common hours. The current moderators have been performing admirably, however, as you stated, the number of members is increasing unproportionally to that enforcement team.
Maiyra
Arkane Knight

I agree with you on every point there, but I didn't quite chose to quote it all and blah blah. It's 4 in the morning, you know how it is. *collapses on and thinks*

The ED is declining, and it seems no matter what the Regulars do, without more help from the ED moderators themselves (I'm not saying they do a bad job; they don't, there's just so many gaps in times they're on, etc.), just makes it hard to keep ED a place for what it's supposed to be.

The Regulars get burned out trying to keep it alive, and they take breaks from it. Me myself, I've been hanging out here more often and posting, and simply only reporting bad treads in the ED.

But then, I should post more there..think of a new topic or something.

I quit the ED cause it's just trash now. It's not worth being in it.
Arkane Knight

I quit the ED cause it's just trash now. It's not worth being in it.

I know you did, love. A lot of the Regulars of the ED have stopped posting because they're burnt out, and they feel that ED has become nothing but a wasteland.

I'd be lying if I said I myself wasn't included in that bunch. But completely quitting and giving up? I don't know what that would prove. Letting them win and backing down from a fight for something I care about?

Nah, you know Maimai was never one for that.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff