Welcome to Gaia! ::

President Squad

33,000 Points
  • Alchemy Level 9 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Diedrich Supporter 50
User Image

`.Hi all.

I've been having some trouble with making mobile GCash purchases through Boku.
For a few weeks now, I've been getting the same message:
"Sorry, your mobile network is currently not supported."

I am a South African on the Vodacom network - Vodacom still features on Boku's list of supported networks, so something else must be up.

I checked in with Boku's customer support, and received the following reply:

Helena Lindgren (Customer Support)
Aug 18 21:47

Hello Elskers,

Thank you for contacting Boku. Unfortunately our service is not available at this time with Gaia Online.

Please try again at a later date.

We apologize for the inconvenience.

Best Regards,
Boku Customer Support

The issue seems to be between Gaia and Boku - does this mean I should just wait it out, or report this somewhere?

A few weeks has passed since I received the above feedback, so it seems time to look for alternative answers.

This has happened once or twice before, and usually it's just a matter if waiting it out.
The issue has persisted for almost a month this time, though.

Any advice would be grand.

President Squad

33,000 Points
  • Alchemy Level 9 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Diedrich Supporter 50
User Image

`.//Posting to get back on the front page.

...I wonder if I should just go ahead and file some kind of ticket.
Hmm.
I was hoping to find more folks with the same problem, but I guess we're few and far between.

Undead Enchantress

I guess it doesn't hurt to try. Maybe you can email Gaia directly using usertalk@gaiaonline.com
I think there is an increasing number of services being dropped by Boku and/or Gaia. If anything, if you hear from both of them that there are problems with their interaction, you may need to find some other way to get Gaia Cash. It appears the site does prefer Paypal-based payments.

President Squad

33,000 Points
  • Alchemy Level 9 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Diedrich Supporter 50
Erynne
I guess it doesn't hurt to try. Maybe you can email Gaia directly using usertalk@gaiaonline.com
I think there is an increasing number of services being dropped by Boku and/or Gaia. If anything, if you hear from both of them that there are problems with their interaction, you may need to find some other way to get Gaia Cash. It appears the site does prefer Paypal-based payments.

User Image

`.Thank you for the advice!
I think I will send off an e-mail after all.

I do agree - the fact that sales have never applied to mobile payments makes for a clear indication of their preference, in a way.
On the other hand, I can't imagine that they have many South Africans spending Dollar-equivalents through mobile payments and the like - not enough to justify the costs of keeping all of those services in place, at least.

It wouldn't be surprising to see some payment channels phased out.

Ironically, PayPal doesn't accept debit card registration for South African users.
I would have to apply for a credit card to be able to use PayPal - not the best motivation for an adult decision like that.
lol

President Squad

33,000 Points
  • Alchemy Level 9 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Diedrich Supporter 50
User Image

`.Man.

I'm missing out on so many nice sales/bundles/items.
emo
Not that I would buy everything.
I just want to be able to buy something.

Salathielly's Partner

Dainty Kitten

27,550 Points
  • Streaker 200
  • Marathon 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
[Elske]-[XXIX]
User Image

`.Man.

emo

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Never considered Paypal?

President Squad

33,000 Points
  • Alchemy Level 9 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Diedrich Supporter 50
xSahri
[Elske]-[XXIX]
User Image

`.Man.

emo

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Never considered Paypal?

User Image

`.Hi!

As I mentioned to Erynne above, PayPal doesn't allow registration of South African debit cards.
Unfortunately, I don't earn enough monthly to qualify for a cheque card, so my only option if I want to use PayPal is to get my hands on a credit card.

Because of that, I don't consider PayPal much of an option - I would love to have access to all of those discounts, believe me, but while I could try to apply for a credit card to get registered, it is a heavy decision to make when Gaia Cash is the only thing I purchase online.
My small salary makes it very unlikely that I would be cleared for a credit card either way.

Mobile purchases are clean cut and no fuss - I will certainly miss their convenience if it turns out that they will no longer be possible.

Lupine Spirit

14,950 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • The Wolf Within 100
  • Team Jacob 100
it may not even have to do with favoring one version of payment over another. they're third party services so some may have more limited options than others, which would mean it could be the third party service that keeps them from being able to have the discounts applicable to them.

Helpful Gaian

Are there pre-paid credit cards available where you're living? They're a fairly decent option if you have that open to you. Over here some shops sell them for use when you're buying online. It might be something worth looking into. You can just use them like a debit card but they function similar to a credit card for use online.

User Image

User Image

President Squad

33,000 Points
  • Alchemy Level 9 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Diedrich Supporter 50
HauntingEchoes
Are there pre-paid credit cards available where you're living? They're a fairly decent option if you have that open to you. Over here some shops sell them for use when you're buying online. It might be something worth looking into. You can just use them like a debit card but they function similar to a credit card for use online.

User Image

User Image

User Image

`.This sounds pretty awesome - I'll take a closer look at the shelves the next time I'm out in a big mall.

Thanks!

President Squad

33,000 Points
  • Alchemy Level 9 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Diedrich Supporter 50
HauntingEchoes

User Image

`.AH. YOU ARE AMAZING.

I found an alternative that works!
Man.
It feels good to get that elusive discount.
emotion_dowant

Thank you so much for this brilliant suggestion!
Mobile payments still don't work, but that's not going to be a problem any more, ohohohoho.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff