Welcome to Gaia! ::

Kawaii Spirit

Gaia, I know you're busy. I know. But in an increasingly mobile web, having a lackluster app for a site that is not mobile friendly is a terrible idea.

The iOS app is terrible, but the Android app manages to be even worse. It's obviously a port of the old iOS app. It's not an Android app, not really. It doesn't take advantage of our larger screens, it doesn't scale properly. It doesn't follow Google's design guidelines. It's an abomination. And now the Gaia Android app is showing me a popup telling me to download... the Gaia Android app.

Come on now. It's a poorly made web wrapper, like the iOS app it was ported from, and it's riddled with problems. Sometimes it sends you to the desktop site. Sometimes it says you have messages even when you don't. Sometimes it's zoomed in and cuts off words on the edge of the screen.

Looking at the reviews, everyone is unhappy with it. Looking at the changelog, you seem to only be fixing cash related bugs.

I have a phone that is worth 700 dollars and I can barely access my favorite site because the app is garbage and there's no mobile site. And you think I'm going to use this sorry excuse for an app to give you my money? Are you out of your mind?

Find yourself an Android developer, please. Someone who develops native Android apps. I'm begging you. TIA.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to browse the Forum

s

EDIT: here are some reviews from the Google Play store for your amusement:

Quote:
It says you have notices and mail even after you checked everything. I can only see the three newest things from the cash shop an nothing else. You cant even look through the normal stores.

Quote:
It's basically an insanely crappy and buggy internet browser that only shows gaia. I'd prefer to use my tablet's browser to go to the site instead of THIS. Don't get me wrong, I love gaia, but you guys have more than enough to afford some code...

Quote:
Its bugged as hell, not optimised for wider screens, the overall design of it looks like an iPhone app (ie the colours dont blend) and you can't really do much. Some of the buttons just take you to the desktop site within the app and on the dress up.... dont even get me started.... basically I will use it if I have to but not of I want to.

Quote:
t I've had my Gaia account since April of 2007 and I have between anticipating an application like this for awhile, but the application I just downloaded was extremely disappointing. I feel like it was put together in a rush just to be released quickly. I'm really not impressed with this. I wouldn't suggest any players to download this. Stick to your computer screens Gaians, this isn't what we wanted it to be.

Quote:
Thanks for the awful, half assed iOS port that barely works! It's a great way to remind myself why I shouldn't give you my money. Keep up the good work!

Quote:
Needs access to more features from the website and the interface is terrible. The back key returns to the home screen instead of going back one screen, which makes it a huge pain to try to browse, and does not exit the app. It doesn't let you subscribe to forum threads, giving an error that you need to be logged in even though you are. There are also other various log in errors. It randomly deletes your wish list when you try to update it. Please fix!

Quote:
No option for notifications, buggy, glitchy, have trouble reloading and having up to date notifications...seriously sucky app considering its potential...gaia user for 7 years now.

Perfect Saint

I think it's more than they are busy. I think they've dropped that project. The mobile app was the previous CEO's project and that went bust. Probably a ton of money lost during those days.

Kawaii Spirit

Myrielle
I think it's more than they are busy. I think they've dropped that project. The mobile app was the previous CEO's project and that went bust. Probably a ton of money lost during those days.

If they have dropped it, that's a terrible business decision, with tablets and smartphones rapidly replacing PCs and all.

Kawaii Spirit

Bump.

Another issue with the app: I can't unsubscribe from subscribed threads. It tells me I need to be logged in when I am already logged in.

Profitable Sex Symbol

8,100 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100
mayakko
Myrielle

If they have dropped it, that's a terrible business decision, with tablets and smartphones rapidly replacing PCs and all.

Hey whoa le.

They're not replacing PC's.

PC master race.

Kawaii Spirit

Cory Shallow
mayakko
Myrielle

Hey whoa le.

PC master race.

I love my laptop too! But more and more people are using smartphones and tablets to use the internet, because they can be used from anywhere, including work (*cough*bathroombreak*cough*) and school. They won't ever completely replace the PC I don't think, but enough people will be using them in a few years' time that abandoning mobile app development is a stupid move for any business.
I don't own a smartphone, but I know several people who do. The mobile app is notoriously outdated, from what I've heard. Also, thanks for the screencaps, I haven't seen it before.

I don't know the reason why they stopped the project though. Anyone know?

Nearly everyone (except me? LOL) has a smartphone these days. You see them being used all the time, restaurants, public transportation, or even just walking outside.
I'm no expert or anything, but couldn't this generate more ad revenue as well? Or did they think the pay off wouldn't be big enough?

Devoted Member

Through their app the only way I would buy g-cash is by using google play money. But I wish the app was better for dressing up my avatar and browsing forums.

Profitable Sex Symbol

8,100 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100
mayakko
Cory Shallow
mayakko
Myrielle

Hey whoa le.

PC master race.

I love my laptop too! But more and more people are using smartphones and tablets to use the internet, because they can be used from anywhere, including work (*cough*bathroombreak*cough*) and school. They won't ever completely replace the PC I don't think, but enough people will be using them in a few years' time that abandoning mobile app development is a stupid move for any business.

Laptop is not a PC D:<

ermagerd

(also my post was a joke post)
(its true, Gaia needs to adapt and is failing to do so)
I have to agree with you on the outdated App.
If I wanted to customize my avatar it takes a very long time to scroll through the pages to even get to an item emotion_drool and heaven forbid if i need to go back a few pages, it just takes forever!

I do have to say that it also bugs me that in the app you cannot access the gold shops question but of course there is a link from the main menu to the cash shop stressed

There are some good attributes don't get me wrong, BUT there are a few kinks that need to be worked out to make it more desirable to use.

Kawaii Spirit

Yulania
I don't own a smartphone, but I know several people who do. The mobile app is notoriously outdated, from what I've heard. Also, thanks for the screencaps, I haven't seen it before.

I don't know the reason why they stopped the project though. Anyone know?

Nearly everyone (except me? LOL) has a smartphone these days. You see them being used all the time, restaurants, public transportation, or even just walking outside.
I'm no expert or anything, but couldn't this generate more ad revenue as well? Or did they think the pay off wouldn't be big enough?

There's a TON of ads on the app so yeah, it's definitely generating some revenue.

I don't know why they stopped updating it. The iOS app got an update to work with iOS 7, but it's half-assed too. The Android app hasn't been updated in almost a year. I don't know what the hell they're thinking, as more and more people get smartphones and tablets, more and more people are going to want to use the app. If they at least had a web site that's mobile friendly it would be okay but they don't. It's like they're stuck in 2003.

Kawaii Spirit

Dangerous Ladykiller

13,050 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Nerd 50
Oh I know. I use the app a lot because im away from home a lot. I would for several things to be fixed with the app and added.

Here are some things I would love to be added/fixed :
1. Being able to do staff things on the app.
2. A BACK button
3. Viewing items in the marketplace on your avatar.
4. Access to the arenas.
5. Notifications to go away after clicking them. (I usually have to exit in order for it to refresh.)
6. A REFRESH button
7. Being able to scroll the shops ( can't view nothing in the cash shop, or other shops)

Kawaii Spirit

Little Dead Soldier
Oh I know. I use the app a lot because im away from home a lot. I would for several things to be fixed with the app and added.

Here are some things I would love to be added/fixed :
1. Being able to do staff things on the app.
2. A BACK button
3. Viewing items in the marketplace on your avatar.
4. Access to the arenas.
5. Notifications to go away after clicking them. (I usually have to exit in order for it to refresh.)
6. A REFRESH button
7. Being able to scroll the shops ( can't view nothing in the cash shop, or other shops)

Yes, to all of these. Also it would be nice to be able to actually subscribe to forum threads without getting a popup telling me that I need to be logged in when I'm obviously logged in already.

I'm always on the go too, and my phone is essentially my mini computer. I use it for everything and rely on it for everything, and it's my only connection to Gaia (and the internet) when I'm not at home, which is often for several days at a time. And this sucky app, it's driving me crazy. If the web site had a mobile friendly version it wouldn't be so bad, but it's such a pain to navigate on mobile that it manages to be even more unpleasant than the app. Which is quite the achievement, really.

Edit: and yes, the back button thing is just absolutely infuriating isn't it

Kawaii Spirit

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas